Gauss SAW - a primer for new NC players

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by HerpTheDerp, Jul 30, 2013.

1. KnightCole

Given the skill cieling of the saw i could see putting em6 as starter gun. I prolly woulda been love at first pew for me. I love the gun now. But i dount soe will change stuff now. Besides, em is esamir munitions, not new conglomerate and it wouldnt be right using someone elses gun to start.

I would rework the nc arsenal anyway. Get rid of 200-167dmg tier for 185-158dmg tier. It is about 1 round better then 167 and 1 round worse then 200 but could allow for easier to use weapons that atill go with the nc theme:high dmg high recoil slow rof.

Lmg: 550rpm 185-158 dmg. 5vert recoil .2horiz
    Ar: 570rpm 185-158 d .45recoil .175horiz
    Carbine: 580 rpm 185-158 .45vert .15horiz
    Smg: 585rpm 185-158d .4vert .15horiz

Lmg would have bad hipfire great ads and tight cof on long burst but have high recoil. Could get adv grip

Ar would be about like the nc1 is now But less jittry and tighter cof

Carbine would have high cof spread for range but have good hipfire.

Smg would be a better carbine at hipfire but even worse for range. Would get adv laser.

Id do away with comps.

Id give nc good horiz recoil But high and easily countered vert recoil. Theyd be like the saw now but a little easier overall.
  2. Messaiga

Never said it was a Beast-Mode Killing Machine, it is average for most LMG's actually. It has the same DPS as a lot of the LMG's that people use such as the SVA-88, Em6, Flare, and the only LMG's with a noticeable difference in higher DPS compared to those are the MSW-R, T9 Carv, and Orion. The MSW-R, T9 Carv, and Orion lack attachment choice, accuracy, or ammo, so not many people decide to stick with those and branch out onto other weapons (because quite honestly, why in hell would you ever want to use a suppressor or flash suppressor on an LMG, they are almost useless when playing as a Heavy Assault). The Gauss SAW is a great weapon because it has most of the attachments one would usually use on an LMG, is the default weapon, and once you get used to controlling it you will do just as well as you would with most other LMG's.
  3. Messaiga

By the way, my first forumside thread, was ironically a post about why the EM6 should have been NC's starting weapon and the Gauss SAW should have been our unlockable 500 cert LMG, using the exact same arguements some of you guys are using in here. Although it had one major flaw, some people wanted to keep their Gauss SAW, I knew this, and basically the whole thread rided on the possibility of SOE giving every NC Heavy that had certs into the current Gauss SAW or Em6, the post-change *Gauss SAW*, which would have been renamed the EM6, and vice verca. Basically the only thing that the thread would have done was swapped the stats and names of the Gauss SAW and Em6.
  4. KnightCole

And i remember arguing against u. Mostly cuz damn i loved my saw. But ive been cheating on her eith this girl named em6....just Hope she doesnt have an std. Both if them seem to sleep with alot of nc ha.....
    • Up x 2
  5. TheTreeness

I did not mean to come off as "elitist" and condescending for that I'm sorry.
    But leave the personal attacks out of this, this is a discussion. There are already millions of discussion threads that have turned into "who pull the best insults of their ****" and I shouldn't have resorted to ego dick waving to help my argument.

Anyways, as for the Gauss SAW argument what I was trying to suggest in my previous post is that I suspect that with your time investment you judged the Gauss SAW prematurely with what little success you had. What I also or should have said is that you need more time to invest in the Gauss SAW and go through it's initial painful learning process to see what it's capable of.
  6. KnightCole

Precisely. Those take time to learn the gauss saws quirks and work with them do, as kodaa said, "unlock the godliness".
  7. Kodaa

Well I'm glad we can deescalate this from a massive pissing contest because this thread was definitely heading in the wrong direction.

I've been playing FPS's since doom. Learning a new FPS and/or weapon is never a difficult task. I understand balance, I'm always willing to adapt my play and strive to improve my game. I loathe the word "overpowered," and I firmly believe people throw it around far too often. I don't like to blame others for my deficiencies.

I've used the SAW more than what this character shows. I don't think my collective usage would achieve an auraxium, but I think it'd be unrealistic to require one to make my opinion valid. I'll admit I was initially put off by it, as it was the first weapon I ever used in PS2, and I'm sure we can all agree that it is not a suitable starter weapon, but I really did try to like it. I saw a lot of people praise it and call it the "GOD SAW," so I figured it had to be worth using, but everything about it is big, slow and clunky. Like I said earlier, I'm sure it's great for blasting away from a defensive position, but for a mobile HA that wants to compete in short-mid range combat (where most of it takes place), how can anyone believe it's worth using?
  8. TheTreeness

Then I believe we both choose the wrong factions as I resonate more with NC weapons more than I do VS weapons. You seem to have an aggressive HA playstyle that forces CQC engagement that is suited to high RPM weapons, my playstyle is more slow and defensive where I wait and shoot pre-emptively and force infantry to engage me at distance.
  9. KnightCole

So maybe kodaa u just need to grab an em1, 6 or an anchor or maybe the jackhammer.

Saw just isnt ur cup of tea.
  10. Kodaa

If that's the case, then I'd understand why you'd like the SAW. You're right, though. I wish to hell I'd gone VS. The only thing keeping me NC at this point is my 90 day 50% xp boost... and the insane VS overpop on mattherson.
  11. KnightCole

I wish i had gone nc from day 1. I 1st. Went tr.
  12. hansgrosse

Honestly, this. Why they didn't swap the Gauss SAW and Gauss SAW S around is beyond me. The NC Medic doesn't start with the Reaper. The NC Engy and LA don't start with the AC-X11. Why does the NC Heavy start with its 200/500 weapon?

I mean, it almost seems like it was meant to be the other way around...
  13. HerpTheDerp

So basically you can't provide any proof of SAW being a "REALLY good gun", but you'll just roll with it because of your feelies.

Laughable.

Of course it's not a conspiracy. It never is a conspiracy, it's just people spouting out ignorant BS.

You say that "th game isn't played in a vacuum with perfect settings where it's just two players shooting at each other with equal accuracy". Yes. And that is exactly the reason why SAW sucks. On paper, it's balanced - it's just a dedicated, long-range LMG.

But the combat in this game takes place at anything but long ranges. If you want to take control points, you have to run around and in buildings, walls, and so on. There isn't a single control point in PS2 positioned in a middle of nowhere. So the SAW's range advantage is nonexistant because there's simply no place for it to be utilized.
  14. Spookydodger

How does the red part juxtapose with the blue part?
  15. Cromell

The one time I played NC character, and used Gauss SAW, the gun was EXTREMELY easy to use. Slow rate of fire means it's easier to compensate for the high recoil, and because the recoil is high, it's somewhat more predictable. Can't say anything about other NC guns, though. On the other hand compensating the recoil in SOME of TR guns is a nightmare - it's smaller, but guns fire faster so the gun jitters a lot more.

On the other hand, I have a lot of experience with games that have a lot of recoil on their guns, so compensating is natural for me.
    • Up x 1
  16. ladiesop

167 -> 200 is a single round damage tier. There's nothing between it.

The EM6 is the real Gauss SAW, as the SAW S is actually an EM6 S (look at the stats). The EM6 also follows the same pattern as the Carbine and AR: 167 tier 600 RPM weapons.
  17. MykeMichail

You definitely stick to that playstyle well. It makes you a difficult opponent.
  18. HEAT

These kinds of threads are started by the same people who say the lancer is a crappy AV wep.

Move along nothing to see here ITT.
    • Up x 1
  19. Kodaa

These kinds of posts are made by people who have absolutely nothing to offer to a discussion, but feel the need to make their voice heard anyway.

I can do it, too.
  20. Goretzu

That's the thing, personally no matter how good I've got with it (NC6) in CQB I'm usually still better (in K/D) with something else.

If I know it's really going to be just CQB I'm just using a Blitz atm, because it's good hipfire and ADS movement.

I think the EM1 should really be the gun that NC HAs should be after for this situation but it's DPS is just inexplicably low.