At what KDR would you decide your unskilled and quit?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kimble, Jul 31, 2013.

1. maxkeiser

Good to see that other people do this as well. lol.
  2. kennonfodder

agreed, personally the number of kills during a session would be enough for to measure. But we need SOMETHING to measure, and score per minute or defended bases...lets be honest, who gives a ***** about those stats?

If you dont need some stat to follow, so be it.

But

-spawning at a struggling base and trying desperately to get to the cappoint or camping on a hill with a sniper rifle/tank
    -winning or losing the 1v1s
    -looking for cover or doing rambo style raids
    -analyzing situations properly (do I attack now or not?)

...will affect the number of our kills (being killed). Most guys want something to see their progress here.

There was the idea of giving a consumable item to reset the KDR once by sony. An alliance of hardcore gaming stat padders and the usual "sony is squeezing us out" guys lobbyed against it. What outrage is caused :D

After a few months and endless KDR discussions. What is better than this solution? The guys concerned about KDR will pay a few bucks to have a white vest, the rest knows that this number can be faked (like now with respawns and different classes/vehicles) and would care even less.
  3. JonboyX

There isn't an ingame statistic for fun 'level' in the game. :)

Where this game is great is that you can contribute in so many ways other than the number of kills you get with your M4A1 or Desert Eagle.

If you're not great at the point and shoot, then the game is crying out for more people to play the "RISK" side-game. Look at the map, fly yourself to a base, put a beacon down and get your squad to spawn over there and hold out as long as you can.

Logistics is the biggest influencer on this game, and wins continents. If only they'd award more XP for moving your squad around then this game might progress in a new direction. Unfortunately, transport is cheap and disposable. BWG were the deathknoll for PS1 and sadly JonnySolo(TM) has been over-provided for in PS2 too.

Anyway - that's just what I would like. You pick something you enjoy and be as good as you can at it!
  4. IronWarrior

What, a BR1 player taking the objective, as a target dummy for the enemy? Where the BR100 player be able to defend the point likely by himself or least kill a good number before he falls.

As with all FPS sort of games, the idea of it game is to kill more of the enemy then the enemy is killing you, otherwise you going to lose. This is how it works in wars too. Honestly, this isn't rocket science.
    • Up x 1
  5. Syrathin

Interesting question, I'll try to give an answer that isn't the forums generic "K/D is meaningless raawwwrrr!".

For a quite a while I played medic and engineer almost exclusively and always made repairing and healing my top priority but still managed to keep my KDR above 1 so I was pretty happy with it. At the moment my KDR on all my characters sits around 1.25-1.3 or something close to that.

I wouldn't quit the game because of KDR, I do look at my session KDR when I'm playing though because a side from working the objectives, Repairing, Healing etc. I like to see that I can actually kick a little ***. Perform as more than just a heal bot and try to improve my combat capability.
    It's not an egotistical thing, I don't really care if people think I'm a good/average/terrible player, What matters to me is that I feel effective at what I'm doing. That's where I disagree with the majority it seems since I don't think KDR is a bad thing, Sure some people use it to epeen on forums and such but it can be useful on a personal level.
    For example there have been days where my KDR was above 4.0 and there have been days where it was below .5, On the the highs and lows I tend to go over it my mind and try to zero in on what I did right and what I did wrong and try to adjust my play style next time I log in.
  6. LivesInNameOnly

under 2:1 for infantry. under 7:1 for tanks.
  7. Edenwolf

I wouldn't say KD doesn't mean anything, I know from experience. So I played a couple days after release , then stopped playing entirely until this spring, I come back and my KD is .8. I took the initiative from that point on to train my self in the art of self sustainment, not to be a coward, but to learn when to rush, when to defend corridors, how to overcome other players, advance on objectives and so on. I feel that the longer you are alive, the more players you can shoot down that may shoot apon your teamates, or flip back objectives. The longer you stay alive, the easier it is on your squad, the more effective your squad becomes.

Overall, if you asked me if K/D helped me understand the game and hone my skills, I would say yes.
    • Up x 1
  8. Syphers

I'd be disappointed of myself if I had under 4.00 really but I'd just keep getting better and the whole purpose of a game is to have fun first and foremost
  9. HAYMAKER

KDR shouldn't be the reason you play the game. You should be playing because you enjoy it.
  10. kadney

It's about fun, not a stupid number that shows your K/D ratio. I stop playing for some while when I get bored from the game..
  11. Zluu

I've got an abysmal .6, and it annoys me but I'm slowly progressing (I measured that a this rate, I should reach 1 KD in two year...).

Regarding the usefulness of KD, it is important to know it for 1v1 situations. Being able to win most of random encounters is crucial to the progress of your squad, especially if you are a medic. Because staying alive is what ensures your squad progress. In my case, playing a medic with a bad KD is a big handicap atm because I will die most of the time when encoutering ennemies, cottuing me off from my squad mates and preventing me fro keeping them alive.

Basically If you play solo or in a small squall, battlefield style, KD matters. If you are in a big platoon it depends on your role, and if you're in a vehicule shooting at infantry, spawn camping, pure healer or pure repairman, it's meaningless.
  12. Zotamedu

If and only if you are comparing similar playstyles. It can give a hint if you compare two HA on the same faction during the same assault if both are playing the same role. If one HA is playing AV and the other is playing AI then there's no point in trying to compare KDR between them. So next to useless.
  13. applecherry

My kdr is at least decent and I mostly play infantry! :)

[IMG]
  14. CNR4806

I would consider ragequitting when my K/D RISES to 10, because it means that I have mastered the art of sitting back farming in a tank or being otherwise useless to the battle.
  15. Booface

Just find something you're good at. If it's not killing, maybe it's reviving, repairing, driving, or even leading.

If, after all that, there really is nothing you are good at, then I suppose you have to ask yourself if you need to be good at something to enjoy the battles. If not, carry on. If so, go try a single-player shooter on Easy--those are usually a good ego boost.
  16. evilduck

never

i play a game for fun. shocking i know... unheard of these days...
    i will stop the moment its no fun anymore, k/d or any other "metric" doesn`t provide fun in any way.

really, you k/d fixated guys should broaden your definition of "good" and "skill"... your missing a lot..

k/d is only important for those "hey my kdong is bigger than yours..." guys...
    • Up x 1
  17. Roadwarrior82

I think everything above 1.5 is satisfying. ;)
  18. Crashsplash

You should also consider the XP/Min, which isn't so notable.
  19. Zombekas

If all you do is revive people for example, you can have 0 KD and still be the most useful player on the field.
  20. YamiNoTenshi

Keep playing as long as you find the game fun, KDR doesn't matter one bit in this game.