At what KDR would you decide your unskilled and quit?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kimble, Jul 31, 2013.

1. MykeMichail

I think there's plenty to do in the game for low aim players.

Manning bulldog sunderers to provide constant mortar fire against the enemy is one thing.

Piloting Galaxies and driving Sunderers is another. Having an ammo sunderer manned and firing constantly is invaluable.
  2. chrisbeebops

Absolutely true. It just depends on what role you play and how you contribute to the battle. Someone who drives a vehicle or plays MAX for a large percentage of their playtime will pretty much always have a good K/D. But a Medic or Engineer helping their team on the front lines is far more beneficial than the farmers sitting 200m off from a tower spamming HE/Fury/lolpods/etc. trying to score easy infantry kills. If a Medic doesn't kill any enemies, but revives 10 teammates each life, that is a huge contribution to the team.
  3. kennonfodder

The idea of having a KDR is not bad though, great way to measure a good or rather bad playing session.

But how about a KDR for every class SOE? Having a KDR for all classes together is an insult for non-farming players taking some risks
    • Up x 1
  4. 3asyD

KDR dont mean ****, team players have the l33t skills
  5. faykid

i only started caring about K/D recently

and when i did, i started trying to improve it - it was very low from the start, as i didn't care if i died or lived, and i always played support classes

so now, if i find myself in a dangerous place, and i know that the odds are against me, i will not run out and try to shoot hopelessly at a group of enemies or throw a grenade just to "sell my life dearly" (it almost never gives any result if you're outgunned), but rather retreat and find a safer place

the "fear of death" made me more careful, more aware, and it actually improved my performance. i think this fear is a good motivation.

it makes you leave a proxy mine behind the turret when you get into it as an engie, because you don't want to die to a sneaky infiltrator. it stops you from opening fire at an unaware enemy immediately before checking if he's alone or not. adds more edge to the process. the less you die, the less frustration you have waiting for respawn.

i enjoyed the game when i had K/D 0.1-0.2. but since i started caring and trying to improve it, it became even more fun. i did not start shooting better, i am still mediocre, but it made me more careful.

basically, i think K/D does not show your skill, but shows how careful you are and how much you care about K/D
    • Up x 1
  6. IamDH

7. Serafine

I think the K/D statistics are a nice add-on to get a short overview of your improvement during the game. However it shouldn't be overvalued, especially the supporting classes should look only at their death statistics since they aren't truly meant to shoot other people (however you certainly will get better in surviving by the time).
  8. DJStacy

I don't think K/D should worry anyone apart from those that like to stare at stat tables, while the rest of us kick ****. I am BR100 but earned 75% of that down in the dirt with bullets whizzing next to my head.

I just like to play and annoy the other factions as much as I can with my outfit mates. Knowing ways to get around problems and how best to cause the enemy problems is a far greater power than spamming towers with tanks and lol pods.

I'm not the best reaction shot but I can use my brain which often gives me the edge. So I would say to all players try and see out the initial learning phase which is tuff, without worrying about your K/D. Mine was 0.65 at the very start and slowly moved up to 0.88 If I had gone by that I would have quit ages ago lol, now I'm BR100 :).
  9. sSie

You do know that killing people in this game is also playing the objective right? The guys that have a high KD and can single handedly clear a few ghost cappers from the point are highly useful.
  10. Zotamedu

No it's not. It's completely useless for measuring sessions in this game. Had it been arena death match, then you would have a point. Now it's persistent with free respawn and several support classes which makes the entire concept moot. I switch between classes a lot and I do different things. Some gaming sessions I play engineer and run up at the front, dropping ammo and repairing MAX. That will get you killed quite a lot. Then I can go on a couple of suicide runs to kill of a sunderer with my HA. I might die a couple of times and I might not get a single kill when I blow up the sunderer but I did have fun and blowing up enemy sunderers is very important for the fight. It can completely shift the tide of a battle. So I can end up having a very low KD in one session because I played stuff that did not give me any kills. Then another session I'm an engineer manning a Phalanx, defending a base which can quite easily give me a <5 KDR.

It would be better to just remove the number of deaths completely from the game as a statistic. Then KDR would be gone to. It's already beyond pointless and got even less relevant when reviving does not count as a death anymore.
    • Up x 2
  11. Zotamedu

A good player with a low KDR can do the same and a bad vehicle spammer with high KDR will get murdered the minute he sets foot inside the room because he doesn't have a tank with him.

THERE IS NO CORRELATION AT ALL BETWEEN SKILL AND KDR IN THIS GAME! THEY ARE COMPLETELY UNRELATED IN THIS GAME!
    • Up x 1
  12. Kronic

Who the hell quits because of their K/D? Would you not quit if you're not having fun?
  13. Giggily

As far as I can tell K/D is the best metric of how good your FPS is. I got a lot better at this game all of the sudden when I upgraded to Haswell from a Phenom II.
    • Up x 2
  14. Linus

If you are not skilled or not enjoying a class or a vehicle, you have always the possibilty to switch to another one and to change your gameplay.
    But honestly, the KDR is just numbers, the most important is the fun you have to play and being very helpful for your faction.
  15. PYRo_21

I think if I went anything below 1.0 I would be rather unhappy. Anything under 0.75 and I would probs quit.
  16. Adamar09

It can be used in conjunction with other stats to get a basic idea of some things, though.
  17. Hicksimus

My repair tool doesn't get many kills....it just results in many kills. Your typical 'Murican ways displease Vanu.
  18. siddar

If you play game to capture objectives you end up with a low KD ratio if you play the game to have a high KD ratio then you have a high KD ratio.

Tonight I was at 2.0 KD for most of nite. Then at very end of a alert enemy was about to capture a tech plant we had been fighting over for over a hour. It was time to go suicidal in a effort to get them off that point. Two kills and eight deaths later we stopped that capture at less then ten seconds left. KD ratio shot to hell but objective secured.

So in end caring about KD is optional.
  19. Camycamera

*reads title*
    "At what KDR would you decide your unskilled and quit?"

"KDR"

"your unskilled"

"your"

conclusion: *cough*CoDkiddie*cough*
  20. DeathTollDavid

I've never once looked at my K/D because I just dont care. I play the game to have fun. More people should.
    • Up x 2