Map design for Esamir = amazing

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LanceHavenbay, Jul 25, 2013.

1. LanceHavenbay

Pat yourselves on the back. I'm really at a lack of words to describe how amazing of a job you did with not only the base design of Esamor, but the whole damn map. There was not a single point in playing the game yesterday, that there was not a huge war going on. On top of that, there was always somewhere tactical to go. It wasn't the old footzerg and rush to the next landmark like it was before. There were trenches, potholes, choke points, stairwells, bunkers, walls, everything.

Mix that with the new gun sounds... this game is sexy as ****.

This is the new place everyone will be. I can already tell.

On top of that, the game, for me, runs about 10-20fps higher.

Thank you SOE!
    • Up x 9
  2. Codeak

it runs about 40fps higher for me
    • Up x 2
  3. Madcat9

I enjoyed the new Esamir.
    • Up x 2
  4. LordCreepy

[IMG]
    • Up x 6
  5. CHDT65

I dislike the new Esamir, which was "amerishized".
    That means: unreadable topography, cramped topology, very hard to planify large manoeuvering, basically blind fights after blind fights...
    "Arena" style guys will like, of course.
    Dumbing down for console guys probably too...
    • Up x 8
  6. Reloaded

I'd like to add a pat on their back. I had more fun yesterday on Esamir than I've had recently. The battles were amazing and things seemed to run over-all pretty well considering the number of people playing. Vehicle combat felt great, and I can't be sure whether to attribute that to just a good night, a great redesign over-all, or something else, but it was a lot of fun.
    One thing I did notice that has been pointed out a few times in threads about the redesign is that it did seem difficult to find my way out of some of the walled-in bases to get to the vehicles outside.

The VS sound update is also quite good. I didn't think that just making the weapons sound better could actually add to the fun of infantry combat quite so much.
  7. Pikachu

Too much rocks and flattening of terrain. :L And way too much purple spikes. The spikes adds beauty to the continent but now there is just way too many of them. In fact they look like as if they were intentionally thrown around the bases.
  8. DreamlessLiberty

The bases are turkey shoots :D.
    • Up x 1
  9. Pat Cleburne

I like the new Esamir so far. My opinion might change, but so far, so good.
  10. LT_Latency

I like it, Actual have places for some good infatnry fights in the game now.

I don't think all the continents should be so infantry focused but at least one should be
  11. Free

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    It's extremely bland compared to its predecessor.
    • Up x 2
  12. BloodMonarch

Haven't played a huge amount yet but definitely like what I've seen so far.
  13. R3volutionist

Lol what? How was it dumbed down? If anything it's more complicated. The old Esamir was dumbed down actually. It was basically a flat snow tundra which you could drive from one end to the other with ease. The outpost battles were extremely lame an boring. It consisted of driving in, there is a spawn, maybe a couple bulidings. You park an AMS behind one, tanks sit outside the spawn and blow it away.

Now there are actually defensible outposts, multiple spawns, teleporters, walls, towers, fun 'urban' design with multiple paths and and buildings to move around from. The base battles encourage infantry combat, galaxy drops, spawn beacons/squad deploy, tactics. Now it's not just Zerg from one base to another and blow the spawn apart until it caps.

It looks better, there are unique bases with cool designs like the crashed biolab. Please explain how this was dumbed down for console gamers and 'arena players'? That doesn't make any sense, the old design was what was plain and dumbed down.
    • Up x 7
  14. 660/12

Just got off playing for the first time, for about three hours.

Initial impressions: fun. But, I think that had more to do with higher populations and lattice rather than base redesign.

I think the new uber-fortress concept is good AS LONG AS there are plenty of other options for bases.
  15. Bearcat

I didn't get much time to try it out yet, but I liked what little of it I saw. It was like 60% + VS, and the only vehicle that tried to get into a position to camp the spawn room exits got quickly destroyed.
  16. BloodMonarch

I really dont think the intention is for every base to be an 'uber-fortress' ...i'm sure there will always be plenty of variety and options.
  17. 660/12

I hope so!
  18. Tenhi

I dunno IMHO it needs more Lattice Links around Mani. If you have the NE Warpgate (its VS atm) and you lost Mani its almost impossible to retake it. From Northpoint its an uphill battle against Mani Fortress with constant bombardment from the Landingpads of Mani and Mani Tower. You also push against a cliff with the new walls on top of it.

We had a Biolab Alert earlier on Miller and it was impossible to get to Mani (we lost it a few minutes before the alert startet...). The alternative route is through Esamir Munitions to Freyr Amp and then to Mani. You need to cross half the map to get a second front :/

Also Mani Fortress is a giant ***********. Its full of buildings, rocks and walls. The bad thing is that it has a side where you can walk through some rocks directly into the base. What good are walls on 3 sides of the wall if one side has a giant hole in it. The worst thing about that hole is that its on the western side... Mani is the "home" Biolab of the NE Warpgate... and the hole is on the side that you get attacked from (its also the side with the highground...).
    • Up x 1
  19. Phazaar

I've yet to play Esamir on the ground, but what I will say is, who the **** was calling for trees on Esamir? Defeats the point much? And the new bases look -disgusting- from above/a distance. Literally like looking at something on Minecraft. Needs a serious cosmetic rework.
    • Up x 1
  20. Czuuk

Epic Esamir is epic. Well done. I have a new favorite thing. Shooting guys when they come to the vehicle terminal behind that little window in the base walls. :D
    • Up x 3