[Guide] Less garbage, More productivity in the forums

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wulfen109, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Wulfen109

I just want to share my thoughts about the Planetside 2 forums and how they can be redeemed. Where better else to share them than on the actual forums themselves. I'm sure i will get some heat from this thread, but if i can spark inspiration in one person, then I've done my job. Honestly i am a bit hesitant to post this, but i just gotta get it off my chest. It's a decent read so bare with me. Here we go...

Disclaimer: If you can't read this then you clearly have never been able to read a book other than Dr Seuce. If that's the case dont bother please

I've only been a part of a few forums that I can say i have been truly active in. I've seen my share of trash talking and the lot, but nothing takes the cake like the Planetside 2 forums. So much evil, senseless, mindless garbage people spew out in blind rage. Hardly nothing productive comes out of any type of thread between factions. People are way too quick to deny or disregard anything factual and meaningful from someone from another faction.

"NC, is op. Nerf this." "**** that, VS is way OP". Please, just shut the **** up for one second and really think about it. Are you simply denying something that may actually be OP because it's something of your own? Does telling them to "L2P" really solve the issue? Does completely ignoring the original question, and using your own remark change anything?The truth is, you are completely biased and an *******. These are things you will find scattered all throughout the forums. I for one can't say that i am entirely innocent from what I've demonstrated above. But i can see now that these things truly are not helping this game or the players in them. We all need to step back, and look at things from a non faction perspective.

People need to stop getting so angry on these forums. Stop making threads on how you are quitting the game because of an "OP faction" kicking your butt down the lattice lane when in reality you just had a bad night, or a few bad nights. Or how a certain faction needs a ridiculously biased buff compared to others. Or how MBTs should be made of paper armor so you can solo it with your Commissioner. Do you really think the Dev's who read these forums, looking for productive ideas and crucial feedback, want to be spammed with posts about how miserable you are? The answer is no.

Continuing on getting angry, people are so quick to make a "super cool witty remark" to someone's thread about a particular idea just to feel good about themselves. This will sound somewhat of a joke but there is a name for things like that, it's called "Bullying". Instead of trying to piss everyone off or make someone feel like a complete idiot, why not contribute to the thread with your own views instead of slandering the OP's thread? Now granted, there are idiotic people who make really stupid posts. Just be a bigger person for once in your life and ignore the post. If no one touches that thread, it'll disappear eventually onto the "Page 4 and Beyond" section of the forums, never to be seen again. Continuously bashing on said idiotic thread will only cause more infamy, making it the most dominant thing of the front page, completely over shadowing other, more meaningful posts.

How many times do you see threads with over 200 comments and 1000 views? Several, I'm sure. And what are 90% of those comments about? Here is a brief reenactment: "**** you" "No, **** you" "Oh yea? **** your mom and your OP Gauss Saw". Seriously? It's like watching monkeys sling crap at each other. Since forums viewers naturally flock towards the threads with the most views and comments, this problem grows exponentially. It's an endless cycle. This only distracts everyone from doing anything productive for this game. Please, for the sake of humanity, civilization, and most importantly this game, just grow up.

In conclusion, people are way too immature, biased, and full of pointless rage.The Devs try so hard to please everyone, but it is impossible to do so. They take an utilitarianism approach to make the greatest amount of happiness for the greatest amount of people. I think they are doing a decent job at that. I truly don't think we as a community deserve for them to listen to our feedback. I say feedback but what i really mean is all the tears and temper tantrums we give them. They give us so much power to shape this game. Power that many people are not ready for yet. But instead we just go back and forth, back and forth with so much useless garbage, nothing gets done. So, i guess the moral of this story is, GROW THE **** UP PLEASE and before you make your next post, think twice about the consequences it'll bring to this game.

Thanks for reading guys. I know i am not the best speech giver but i hope i made some sense. Let's see where this goes. It's up to you guys to make these forums a better place
    • Up x 5
  2. Phyr

I, too, enjoy talking to brick walls.
    • Up x 1
  3. HerpTheDerp

At least they don't interrupt me
  4. Wulfen109

Sorry i tried breaking this up the best i could in the amount of time i had. Has no one ever read a book before? It's not hard at all the read
  5. Phyr

The forum is the brick wall, as in your post isn't going to do any good here.

Good effort though.
    • Up x 1
  6. ih8Darian2

Plz learn from this Stew360
  7. Wulfen109

Like i said, if one person reads it and can change, then this post has served it's purpose
  8. Vanon

This is the internet, people don't read, they skim.

Forums are fine and all, however the dev's rarely discuss anything on here. They make a post, but rarely reply in it. Reddit however usually has dev discussion. I do believe someone reads the forums, because some idea's have come from here, however, for the most part, without anyone taking any of us seriously, we devolve into venting rants. Most of the nerf this rants come from the same place as the "forums are full of stupid nerf this people" rants. There has been many of very constructive mature posts on the forums asking for things like new artwork on guns, expanding faction traits to more then just shotgun/rapid fire/charge, solutions to spawn problems, etc. Reddit has some of those as well. You can very easily see what changes are coming by reading those discussions rather then here. I hate the immaturity to, however it begs the question "why should the act mature" it's not like they are effecting anything, changing policy, or being allowed to contribute to the game in any manner. Once you realize this, you can post for fun, or the off chance that it will start a conversation on reddit.
    • Up x 2
  9. Wulfen109

Dammit you reminded me of another thing. Yes the reddit is a much better place than here. But i just like to fight the good fight
  10. HerpTheDerp

*its
    • Up x 2
  11. Syrathin

It's Dr. Suess.

Your intent here was good but comments like "Has no one ever read a book before?" and "GROW THE **** UP PLEASE" are hardly going to endear you or your thoughts to the community. I would also like to point out that likening your wall of text to reading a book is a bit skewed since books are generally better formatted and have a more interesting plot. I'm not being insulting here just saying I'd rather read a novel than your wall of text, The entire tone of which seems to be talking down to the very people it's aimed at...That's a good way to sway them to your point of view. :eek:
    • Up x 2
  12. LoneMaverick

[IMG]

This is the SOE Planetside 2 forums.

The Devs don't take this place seriously, the community doesn't take this place seriously.

If' you're trying to find a forum that supports helpful and respectful discussions, this is not the place.

Meanwhile, I'll slap down bads with facts and watch as the madbro grows in all the terrible(for the most part) people that post here.
    • Up x 1
  13. Stew360

For a devs team , been aware of the feeling of our players is truely important , yes even truely emotional post or anything of that nature can be a good indicator of whats could be wrong about the game this or that , yes you can see lots of misconception , insult and so on ... but its human nature

forums arent just to be ( constructive or helpfull in design ideas etc... ) its part of it but not exclusively reserved to that , some peoples have Feedback on whats they feel , but dont pretend to have a solutions , they simply ask the devs to fix or find a solutions to fix something that make them rage or make them angry , anoyed , boring and so on

You should accept it or not reading any forums what so ever , feedback have multiples forms and natures , but in a certain sens are mostly all helpfull at some degree ...

We are human , emotional human , who feel rage , pain , anger , love , hapynes and so on , we are not machine we are not like that

For a devs team they need to make the players happy to feel satified and so on ... all bases on our emotions and feelings ...

Asking to remoove all emotions and feeling from a forums just because you find them irrational from your point of view isnt good , to provide valuable FEEDBACK process ...
  14. Vanon

Same here, its why i still post....... and am NC matherson....
  15. strove

ive been victim to a similar thing, ive posted a large post on the forums and reddit only to have it die below much more idiotic threads... though... i will still keep bumping it up and crushing the idiotic posts, one day ill get what i have to say noticed, unfortunately i will have moved on to other games by the time it does at this rate...
  16. notyourbuddy

Gotta love when people create a thread that is guilty of the very same things he/she is ranting and raving against. We call these people hypocrites.

P.S. You spelled the good doctor's name wrong.
    • Up x 1
  17. Primarkka

This thread is just a stupid rant that is as objectively written as faction propaganda usually is.
  18. Gustavo M

I'm sorry, OP. But you can't expect common sense on the Internet.
  19. VanuSovereignty

You can actually. There's a few forums that are moderated properly and aren't full of... whatever this forum is filled with.
  20. Ganelon

Books are actually enjoyable to read.
    • Up x 1