Light Assault: Are we the most killed class?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by bogroll, Jul 12, 2013.

1. bogroll

Can't quantify my question (can anybody pull up some stats), but having certed into the class since the beginning I always feel that I get killed more often than when I use the other classes. I realise that we're always 1st through the breach usually, and the abilities make you want to get in there asap, often pulling risky moves. Maybe it's the mentality of the LA.

Playing it safe doesn't seem like this class at all (btw I've had some insane streaks; at the same time I've also had some terrible evenings when I'm killed again and again) (I know - change class: but the LA was the "right class" to utilise at the time)

Tl;Dr: Is the Light Assault too high a risk to play (if you're mindful of you K/D)?
  2. Rogueghost

Almost half of my total kills is heavy assault, about 6,000 kills out of 20,000 total.
    Heavy assault is the most used class, therefor it is the most killed class.
  3. Iridar51

Why would KD matter? If your satisfaction from the game is based upon KD I suggest you become a lib gunner, a tanker or lolpod people with ESF.
    Yeah, I'd say LA is the most risky class to play, because we're only effective in close combat, yet we don't have anything to protect us (cloak/shield), and our effectiveness as flankers depends much on luck.
    • Up x 2
  4. RogueComet

Here's a copy of those PS2 stats that someone compiled before SOE asked him to stop...
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmUavphHXmIxdF8zNU9kci1ieFhyUlU3UW5zeUFzeHc&gid=33

I then took the data and recomputed an average deaths per amount of time played since each class is played a different amount. Finally I averaged all 3 factions for each class together. Here's what I found from lowest to highest:
    Engineer: 2.828 (Vehicles?)
    MAX: 3.416
    Infiltrator: 4.410 (Not surprised with how much time they spend moving around and not fighting.)
    Medic: 5.605
    Heavy Assault: 5.746
    Light Assault: 5.831

Now what I get from the data is that, while it does show LA being killed more often as per the amount of time it is played, it isn't a drastic amount. I'd expect it to be killed more often than HA simply due to not having the shield. Medics can heal themselves too, so their lasting power is greater. Also to note though, like I said, the amount isn't a really big amount with how much more often they die compared to other classes. That small amount between LA and HA is so small in fact that some of the data within a class itself (but different factions) has a greater difference.

I agree though, it does definitely feel like we are killed a lot more often. I know my K/D drastically drops when I play LA and is quite a bit higher when I focus on more HA. I know a lot of other people who say the same thing about their score/min. (Which the stats will reinforce.) But "deaths"? Not a big deal in this case I feel. We go in quick, get our kills and die quick. Other classes are more drawn out.
    • Up x 3
  5. bogroll

Thanks for the posts guys, especially Roguecomet. To clarify I'm not a personal stat watcher and really (honest!) don't care that much about my K/D ratio, but I don't want it turning to **** by playing LA. Many do though. This in no way means I'll play LA less. I love Light Assault and I love flanking; turning up in unexpected places on the battlefield and getting my nuts blown off.

Dropping C4 successfully on tanks/sundies however - compared to shooting rockets as an HA, is the greater thrill - by far.
  6. RogueComet

My feeling exactly. Sometimes I'm so overjoyed with the kill 15 seconds pass before I'm like, "Oh damn... somehow I survived that run. Didn't expect that." Yeah I stand there for a long time. LOL
    • Up x 1
  7. vanu123

If you are ever getting a suicidal feeling play LA. It is the #xxxyoloxxx class. and with C4 you can wipe out a couple of squads if the stars are aligned for you
  8. Mythicrose12

@bogroll

Based soley on your avatar choice, if you can manage an infiltrator as far as actually getting in to close to medium range, you have the capabilities of playing the LA just fine. You'll learn to appreciate the strengths and weaknesss of both the infiltrator cloak and the LA jetpacks.

One last piece of advice : Don't forget about the Z axis when playing as a light assault.
  9. oherror

No. its more like 9 HA to 1 LA. Unless you keep rushing me as a LA.
  10. MrGhosty

I've actually seen a marked improvement in my overall stats since I began using the LA class recently. I still play judiciously and use change class frequently to have the best fit for the job. In most platoons when our squad is sent out to make a ruckus and draw the enemy or quickly cap a base the LA seems to be the best fit for the job. I do die quite often but since taking up LA I can usually manage at least two or three kills per life. I don't watch my K/D too closely as sometimes you just have to keep throwing yourself onto the meat grinder, but I do try to keep it as level as I can and the LA has helped a lot.
  11. Greenfrog

@OP - you've already sorta hit on one of the primary reasons why LA is a high turnaround class. Most of the other classes are more or less at their best when in supporting large groups. Medics and Engineers lose out on a lot of their utility if they're not supporting other troops, and the most natural *other* troop to support is HA. Meaning that Engie's, HA's and Medic's frequently find it very convenient to operate together in decent groups.

I suspect the unusually high mortality-over-time rate of medics is medics being the last survivor of a doomed group, getting shot down while unwisely attempting to run out and rez them.

Infiltrators have at least *half* their class design built around standing far off and sniping, meaning that a significant amount of their overall playtime will be spent in *relatively* safe zones at the fringe of major battlezones.

LA, however, is really designed to leave the main front of the army behind. with Mobility being their prime asset, as you already mentioned, in a team-based environment, they're usually going to the places the rest of the team can't get to, by definition, essentially operating alone or in small groups, with no medic or engineer support.

This obviously doesn't apply to all LA all the time, but that would be *my* guess as to why LA's seem like a high-turnaround class.
    • Up x 1
  12. Kyouki

Overall more than 6k of my kills were HA and about 4k were LA. There are just more HA running around than LA.
  13. Wolfwood82

Yes let's randomly guess rather then do math. That always works.
    • Up x 1
  14. oherror

I actually looked up my kills. Why do math when PS2 can show exactly what you killed with what gun. Anyway LA was only about 10% of total kills and it was mostly the same people over again. HA is by far the most killed.
  15. Badname3073

I play 100% as Light Assault.
  16. Crashmatusow

LAs tend to do a lot of suicide runs.
  17. Wolfwood82

The question wasn't "is LA your most killed class?" the question was "is LA THE most killed class?".

LA make up almost 50% of my kills. Guess our stats just aren't all that similar huh? However randomly guessing is far easier then actual math, so you are forgiven in light of laziness.

Never mind that someone else actually DID do the math and his findings prove you wrong. Randomly guessing is just always 100% without a doubt correct.
  18. GraphicJ

I'd say that LA is pretty situational class to use.
    They excel on:

- Towers
    - with Proximity Radar close by

Just my opinion not by stats.

Other than that it's a pretty risky class to use. Hence why it's the second most unused class. (Infiltrator is first)
  19. oherror

I think that really is the thing with them. They arn't so much killed the most but kill themselves the most with the c4 runs. Well maybe engy is the second most suicide bombers.
  20. MrMuffinz

I know for a fact I have died way more on LA, but I have also gotten a lot of, if not most of my kills from LA.

Light Assault is my go-to class:
    It is fast.
    It is effecient
    You can almost have any combination of guns you see fit (if I want to turn my gun into a sniper, I basically can)

I only use HA if I need to take out some heavy firepower that keeps killing me.
    I only use Infiltrator if I need to take out some snipers.
    I only use MAX when a base is chock-full of TR or VS (or both)

But LA is my favorite by far.