[Suggestion] C4, the tactical fight initiator

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by SuperDuck, Jul 17, 2013.

1. SuperDuck

People want changes to the damage C4 deals, but they won't go further than suggesting a damage reduction.

Let me present to you, a new role for C4.

Though it might not sound realistic or even logical, I want C4 to play the role of a tactical fight initiator.
    I want the C4 brick to deal 35% damage and slow the vehicle by 75% until it's back up to 100% health.

This would offer the following options:
    - Use 2 C4 on 1 vehicle to deal 70% damage and slowing it down by 75%.
    - Spread the C4 over two vehicles, effectively slowing two targets down by 75%.

The results of the chosen options:
    - Engineer jumps out to repair the vehicle, you take him out.
    - Vehicle tries to run away at 25% of his maximum speed, allies take him out and you get assist exp.
    - You're alone, vehicle kills you and lives on.

Sorry for having to read such weird text, I have barely slept and my concentration level is below zero.
    I hope you could still make sense out of this.
    • Up x 1
  2. Thrustin

Yeah sure if the C4 was for free. But I'm sure as hell not paying 200 resources so I MIGHT get a fancy critical assist.
    • Up x 3
  3. Compass

Can't see enemy vehicle HP, no deal.
    • Up x 2
  4. haldolium

No. "People" do not want that. A few whiners who cannot drive want that, no one else. There is no need to tinker further with the C4 damage.

There are things that can be improved or changed about C4, but the damage is none of them.
    • Up x 2
  5. Mythicrose12

Rename C-4. The whole "in real life" arguments start to get old. Just call it nanite explosive. The tank wasn't destroyed by C-4, but a nanite explosive. Bam...because nanites! A name change won't change how certain people want it nerfed. But at least a name change will shorten the complain threads many pages as people debate how C-4 function in real life.
    • Up x 1
  6. deggy

The source of the whining is the fact that there's no defense slot upgrade for it. So there's a simple solution. Add one. Add a defense slot that ONLY affects C4 and reduces it by a large amount (Mine Guard, anyone?).
  7. Paqu

There is, its called proximity radar. I have maxed out prox radar on my lightning and I can just laugh at anyone who tries to sneak up on me.
  8. deggy

That's a Utility slot. I'm talking about a Defense slot. Using a Utility slot robs you of things like Vanguard Shield and Magburner.
  9. Paqu

Well trading magburner to prox radar is not a bad deal. Vanguard shield is pretty good protection against C4 itself if the driver or gunner just keeps looking around and avoid the tunnel vision. Even if you see the LA at the last second you can slap the shield on and survive the detonation or if the LA waits for the shield to run out you have 8 seconds time to kill him.

However the absolute best counter against C4 for tanks is to keep moving. Iam not talking about going top speed, I mean just moving around a bit and not staying in one place for too long. Moving tank is pain in the *** to C4 and all it takes is to miss one C4 and there is nothing you can do to a tank anymore.

This keep moving mentality I have with tanks comes from playing infantry most of the time. Not moving infantry is a dead infantry and I apply the same when Iam in a tank. I dont even remember the last time someone managed to C4 me while I was in a tank.
    • Up x 1
  10. Kcalehc

Personally, I can see a small reduction in the damage C4 does.
    Then add in other options for the LA utility slot:
    1. Shaped charge - does enough damage to MBT to put it just in the red, instant kill on a MAX. Has no splash, so you've got to place it directly on the target. (about the size of half a spawn beacon)
    2. Satchel charge - Huge splash, poor damage to armor. Will kill infantry inside inner radius, and badly hurt those on the outer edge. (bigger and easier to spot than C4, but can be thrown further)

These would be LA only and give them more situational options.
  11. deggy

I'm not saying it's impossible to avoid. But there are times when tanks can't move, like when they're repairing. For those we want a defense slot that reduces C4 damage. We already have Mine Guard, it's just a version of that for C4.
  12. HellasVagabond

Today i was almost 150m away from a tower......So i said to myself you are "safe" from L.As coming from the tower....WRONG...
    1 L.A launched from one of the pads and landed roughly 10m away from me. However from the time i saw him land on the far left of the screen till the moment i moved the turret to aim he used his jumpjets again, went over me, threw two C4 bars and boom.
    If you call that "ok" then perhaps we should ask SOE to STOP calling this game a JOINT ARMS game and just have infantry fights.
  13. Iridar51

So this is your "nerf C4/LA" evidence? Guy managed to get to you and blow your tank with anti-tank close-range explosive?
    Why don't you ask for heavy or rocket launcher nerfs then? They seem to kill tanks too..
    lol jk one shot dead HA
    • Up x 1
  14. HellasVagabond

Rockets are SUPPOSED to have a long range......And unlike C4 which doesn't have the @@ to even tickle an MBT in reality rockets DO destroy MBTs.
    In PS2 we see the EXACT opposite. Not only do you need 4-5 rocket hits to destroy an MBT but C4 can do it with 2 bricks AND can be used as a grenade.
    Also if you consider hard for someone to use his jumpjets to get from the pad down then i must be playing a whole different PS2.
  15. Iridar51

Hard? Where did I say that? If you can't understand what I'm writing, you must be using a whole different English.
    Again this "in reality" argument. In reality soldiers don't survive headshots even from a pistol.

It's getting old. Call it not C4 then, instead dub it Magic Corn Bunghulio Explosive Device, which damages tanks.
    C4 vs Rocket Launcher: okay, if you insist, I'll chew it out for you:
    C4 requires 700 certs once, and 200 resources per attempt. RL is free and so are the rockets.
    C4 can be resupplied only at terminals. Rockets can be resupplied by ammo pack or terminal.
    C4 can be thrown AT MOST 10m forward, 3m - realistically. Rockets fly far, mostly effective within 50 m (assuming dumbfire).
    It it's 2 C4 vs 5 rockets damage that confuses you, well, think about it. Judging by the appearences, which of the two has more explosives in it? Rockets are quite small, after all. C4 looks like it contains at least half a kilo of explosives.

And about C4 effectiveness against vehicles, here some things to ponder at:
    Also, read this post.

I assume you've seen this?
    • Up x 1
  16. HellasVagabond

Actually i was refering to PAID Rocket Launchers, not the stock one. Compared to those C4 is many times better and guess what, it's cheaper........

That being said C4 is not supposed to be thrown, if they did call it MAGIC CORN BUNGHULIO EXPLOSIVE DEVICE then sure, until they do however C4 should behave like C4 DOES.
  17. RogueComet

For those who cry about realism, why not just rename it to EFP. Pretty sure that if we can do stuff like this now (from 25m mind you) that given a couple hundred years PLUS nanites, we could modify C4 to work in a similar manner.

Watch this video all you naysayers who love to cry "realism!":
  18. Iridar51

My point is, as long it's a game, anything can do anything, no matter what it's called or how it behaves in a real world.
  19. HellasVagabond

This is basically a single use launcher, portable but you can't throw it around, you need to Set, Point, Fire.
    How does that have to do with what we are talking about here ?
  20. Iridar51

No need to take everything so literal.
    His point is - even with current level of techonologies we can transform a pound of C4 and a copper bowl into a fearsome armor-piercing weapon. In "future, which is PS2" who knows what's inside those explosice bricks? Perhaps, the very same copper bowl, which not diminishes C4's blast radius, yet adds AP properties if used in the right way.
    I imagine, if stuck to an armor plate, that thing would deliver the same, if not bigger, level of destruction. They only used it from distance because they could.