Triage, useful or not?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by W0rthy, Jul 4, 2013.

1. W0rthy

I was wondering if you fellow medics found triage actually useful?

I mean the situations where it is useful are fairly obvious and seems extremely situational for a passive ability that costs 1250 certs to max giving 2.8% passive heal for people in the vehicle;

Battle Sunderer combat skipping in and out of sunderer, getting out shooting, repairing in stages whilst fleeing. the medic then being in the sunderer, because if he's not triage does nothing..

It's quite rare that medics in a squad actually become involved in a micro strategy use triage on purpose to heal people. Infact i've yet to see this happen. What i see most is people getting healed unintentionally when travelling in a sunderer.

And i think the main reason for that is that the medic literally has to sit on his *** inside a vehicle and do nothing for triage actually to work. It's a passive ability that requires the medic to be 100% passive.. And seriously the medic is 10x more effective outside the vehicle at healing.

It's kind of like if the nano regen device would require you to stand absolutely still and not fire.

What are you guys verdict on it? Is it useful in ways i haven't tried yet, or should SOE give medics a passive ability that actually is made use of?
  2. JonboyX

Other threads have reached the same conclusion.
    Triage needs a different real world function; maybe overheal or something. Presently, it's the sniper equivalent of a flashlight.
  3. 0ReferenceException

/thread
    • Up x 1
  4. AClockworkGrapefruit

It is useless 98% of the time. The only time it's ever helpful is if you are manning the turret of a Sundy in a hot area, so that way you can contribute and people can hop in for heals without being exposed, but it really has no good function. I mostly play medic, so I'll probably cert it when I get everything else in the class unlocked, but I definitely won't max it. Just one level is a waste of certs except in extremely limited situations.
  5. SirIBON

i have Certed the first Level. So i had unloged the Ability. I will not put more Certs in this skill. In my opinion it has only one funktion, Heal the injured friends while we travel to the next location.
    In the sum, if you can spend your Certs on something else, that will be sure better :) - I will not buy it for my twinks.
  6. Jac70

Just get the 1st level - you may as well as it doesn't affect anything else and you will occasionally get a couple of heal points. Most of the time people will get healed or heal themselves before they move out but like I say, you may as well get level one.

It might actually be more beneficial nowadays because there seems to be far fewer medics on the field than there was when I was playing medic. If you find that you often get heal points in vehicles you might consider certing up.
  7. MedecineMan

Why not nerf the healing rate a bit, but let it spill out of any vehicle the medic occupies in a given radius.

Or change the skill completely, to something like a destructable turret that dispenses medical kits, like the engineers ammo packs.
  8. Cleaver

Don't bother. It's highly likely that the sundy/gal is picking people up from either the warpgate or after a fight. Almost all of the passengers will be full health anyway.
  9. Kociboss

In its current state it's worthless.
  10. Minimum Force

So lets break down what Triage does for each tier and then discuss in more detail. I'll copy each tier word for word but feel free to double check the tool tips if it makes you feel better.

Tier 1: Allows the Combat Medic to passively heal others that share a vehicle with them.
    Tier 2: Increases the amount of health restored by the Combat Medic by 0.8% per second.
    Tier 3: Increases the amount of health restored by the Combat Medic by 1.4% per second.
    Tier 4: Increases the amount of health restored by the Combat Medic by 2% per second.
    Tier 5: Increases the amount of health restored by the Combat Medic by 2.8% per second.

All right so that's out of the way so now we can discuss. Previously I maintained a personal understanding that Triage and its progression only helps with the Triage ability. But looking at the tool tips a little closer they don't strictly mention Triage and seem to indicate that each tier increases the speed at which health is restored. Don't jump down my throat or anything because I haven't tested and can't with my character simply because I have the ability maxed out. To me it seems like healing in general goes quickly but that could be because of personal bias or lack of attention to timing.

So I'm just going to go out on a limb, until someone with the certs readily available, and say that Triage allows Combat Medics to heal faster beyond just using Triage in a vehicle. Until SOE tweaks the tool tip, someone sits down with a timer, or I lose interest this is how I see it. Oh and doesn't Triage actually heal a MAX while they're in a vehicle? I've noticed this when a friendly MAX that was damaged and in my vehicle receives heals (everyone else is full health) and I receive healing points.
  11. ShadowAquilaX

You raise an interesting point. I do think however that Triage only affects the Medic's ability to heal allies sharing the same vehicle. The description just seems misleading to some, but as you said it would need to be tested.
    In regards to Triage healing MAXs; It does in fact heal MAXs that share a vehicle with a Triage certed Medic.
  12. YuanrangJA

Triage does indeed heal MAX units, or they did when they were third-seating in Harassers, at least.

That said, Triage for me is useless. I only took one rank in it just to be safe and in case it gets buffed or changed later, but it is more or less worthless in its current incarnation. :p
  13. botosan

harasser driving with engy repairing.....good times
  14. Knarfis

Just get the first level and that is it.

If you are running in a small squad all the time then it has a lot of great uses because your whole team know you have it and it will allow for faster dispatching from one location to the next. I have it and it helps my team a lot from one location to the next. It also heals MAX's while in Sundies and Gals.

If more people had just the first level (which is way over priced) people would not be so worried about getting healed up before going to the next place which wastes time.

Knarfis
  15. Regpuppy

Could easily do some controlled tests in VR, I think. All someone has to do his damage themselves with explosives and then you can let the science begin.
  16. Vortok

I'm pondering combining Triage with Nanoweave while driving around on a Fury Flash (scout radar of course, not wraith so no need to be Inf).... for that one in fifty chance that it might save my life when I otherwise wouldn't have been able to just get off/jump in the back seat and aura heal myself. Just don't feel like blowing ~2k certs for Nano 5 + actually certing Triage beyond rank 1.

Yet.