Phoenix or Striker - which would you choose for your faction?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Robin, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Linedan

The Phoenix isn't actually that effective anymore--it was a terror when it was first released--but it's fun. Other than wasting a missile to recon an area, that's about it. It doesn't hit particularly hard, its range is laughably short, it's ridiculously slow, it can't one-shot infantry anymore (which, after the first few days, was mainly what it was being used for), and it isn't maneuverable enough to fire from behind really safe cover and still get hits. As a weapon, the Striker is better right now.
  2. Vargas78

Phoenix is only any good vs turrets these days. But i'll give it that, its excellent at destroying turrets.
  3. St0mpy

Im not taking about missile range, its a flying camera which extends your existing viewport by 300m meaning you can still see another 200m (at least) into the distance at the point it fizzles out.

500m is being conservative, on clear ground its more.
  4. Scorponok

pheonix over the others any day... pheonix>lance>striker
  5. Morrow

This. The Phoenix caps out at 300m making it a very short ranged launcher, The striker can hold back waves of armor before they get to your door. With ease infact.

With the Phoneix the armor is already knocking at the door before you can hit them with it. And it takes time to guide the missle to hit. Needs a turbo option to speed the missle up! because atm the Striker DPS is huge compared to the Phoenix.

Phoenix needs a buff to range and we need to beable to speed up the flight of the missle. Either that or make it hit very very hard. I prefer the first option.
  6. Sky Pony

Phoenix.

People in this thread can't get into teamwork or stealth, even alone it's pretty effective sometimes all you need is a rocket in the right place.

Striker only works well against bad players also there are similar weapons to it that can get the job done.
  7. siddar

When were the stats you sight collected?
  8. siddar

Completely false statememt Striker works just fine against both good and bad players alike. Its basically the same as pre nerf anti tank mines in that there is only one counter for it that being flares for planes and IR smoke for vehicles. Unlike minguard those two are not always active so are not as effective.
  9. Badname0192

http://ps2-stats.com/weapon/infantrytype/rocket_launcher/all/per-hour

Doesn't say really other than the front page says it's updated daily. Could be true given the Striker has slowly climbed up from 12th per hour to 10th over the last couple of weeks with a .4 increase. The Phoenix has stayed pretty level.
  10. Stigma

I'd want to get the phoenix (because its the most fun out of all the ESRLs not becuse I think its OP) and I'd want all the rest of my faction to get only the striker. The striker is boring and lame - but oh oh oh so effective. Especially as a pilot it is such a boon to have at least half-decent aircover everywhere you have friendly infantry because everyone and their dog is using it (and there are so many HAs in general). I have to say I'd be content with my enemies not having the striker though :3

To be fair, now that the striker (and all the other lockons) are going to go through such a huge change in the ESF update it might be a lot less OP against the air afterwards, so we have to see what happens there.

-Stigma
  11. Kenny007

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense then and is an additional perk to be sure.
  12. dfgh

I like the pheonix because you can harass enemy where they think they are safe.
    When a vehicle is behind a hill you can still hit it , you cant shoot over energy sheilds in amp stations by aiming up and steering down.
    It kills ESF and engineer turrets in 1 hit , maxes in 2 hits.
    You can stand behind a wall and get a bunch of vehicle assists and kills and it's pretty fun i just think many people don't use it properly :p
  13. Scorponok

they have already said they cant increase the range on the pheonix...300meters is the cap..otherwise you would get a loading screen due to the cam mode.
  14. LayZ

In my experience the Phoenix is effective against rocketpodders. Its not a lockon missile so pilots never see it coming and 99% of the time one rocket is enough to take out an ESF.
  15. Caserion

As i've always said, Yes the Striker is the best lock-on launcher, but in the end... it's just a lock -on launcher which does nothing special.

Phoenix/Lancer anyday.
  16. Morrow

Guess they need to find around that then... thats just a bad excuse.
  17. llPendragon

Reasons I despise the Phoenix:
    It makes every user a target.
    It encourages camping
    It takes too long to use
    It's visibility/sound draws attention
    It can only hit one enemy every 5-10 seconds(if it hits)
    It rewards staying further away from capture points.

In a nut shell I dislike it because, imho, using it makes NC less likely to capture or defend bases.
  18. Craeshen

pheonix mostly because with even a tiny bit of coordination about 5 nc players can insta gib anything foolish enough to come within 300m of their nest. What this require's using voice comms to call targets and coordinated fire. And the pheonix already hits about as hard as a deci already afaik just does much less damage to infantry.
  19. AzureKnight

I love the phoenix. I haven't played with the striker so I don't know what it's like. The problem is, few people on Connery seem to have the phoenix probably due to its low damage. "Why spend money on that piece of garbage?" would be the general thought as people think less damage= less usefulness. The other problem is it doesn't actively display the increase damage it does to vehicles.They think the damage shown in the weapon's stats is what it is for everything, infantry and vehicles, but it does, what, like 1300-1500 damage to vehicles?

Occasionally you'll get platoon commanders who point out its strong point: it can get behind barriers that no other launcher can. If you have a coordinated phoenix strike, say, 3-5 players all use them at once, you'd decimate anything. But too few people listen or take that advantage point and apply it.

It also does a great job at being a deterrent for enemy tanks as most tank drivers immediately move once they get hit by anything that does a fair amount of damage so it has the advantage of slightly decreasing a vehicle zerg. For the time, I'll be plenty fine with one shotting Rocket podding ESFs and building assist kills.
  20. Craeshen

And being under lancer fire at least semi coordinated there is no warning your tank just goes boom.