Connery TR: Has failure become your only option?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Lepalose, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Tricky

Amerish alert, eh?
  2. SNAFUS

Ghost capping Indar during an Amerish alert is not something to be proud of. It is the same weak tactics the VS used pre Helios merge and just emphasizes the fact that certain groups are hiding from the real fights during alerts.
    • Up x 3
  3. FateJH

I'd give you a brofist for that comment but this is a TR sob thread.

... if TheWhiteDragon says it, then I unfortunately have to concede. He's literally the first player I somehow interacted with on Helios; there is no other definition of seniority on this server for me.
  4. LahLahSr

[initiate scrambled transmission...]
    To: VS High Command
    Subject: Operation "Fear and Awe" is a success - move to Phase 2

High Command,
    The Vanu strategy is working. The other factions have lost hope and seems to believe that the Vanu Sovereignty is numerically superior, although the statistics prove otherwise. Effect of coordination and communication among our field branches are proving effective. Recommend proceeding with Phase 2 - initiate stage "They'l Never See It Coming" and soon we Connery will be ours, unopposed.

[...end transmission]
    • Up x 1
  5. THUGGERNAUT

continent caps mean nothing now that the threshold is 75%. originally there was some pride in victory when your faction had to take every last territory 100% to win the cap. and then you had to defend it hard when the other two factions came calling.

now you can count on "ownership" being reset nightly by ghostcap crews. it didn't matter who owned a continent originally: if you owned it, you defended it fiercely, if you didn't, it stirred up hatred to try and capture it. now, at 75%, it is just a waste of time.

thanks SOE.
    • Up x 4
  6. SNAFUS

On this Thuggernaugt we can agree.
  7. Vortok

Continent caps numbers could use some tweaking sure (TR will likely lose the bonus in less than 48 hours for similar reasons), but capping Indar in the middle of the day is still something and it's still generally the continent with the most prestige attached to the bonus, as diminished as it may be.

Not everyone has to chase the shiny alert objectives like school kids chasing whoever has the soccer ball. I'm sure there's a meta game claim in there somewhere, but it's not a particularly strong one.

Was just a bit before most west coasters would be getting home from work, and I wasn't around during the alert (or see how much territory they got, was over 80% when I looked and VS had already reclaimed several bases) but there's a decent chance the alert continent filled up. This is Connery after all. Also found the world pop interesting.
  8. THUGGERNAUT

this is a first!
  9. LuNaTIcFrEAk

My view from the other side of the fence:
    TR had a substantial population of players rolling Prowlers forcing most fights indoors due to the tank shell spam. It was difficult to destroy them fast enough because they could just re-roll another. This prowler zerg became a bit of a crutch for the TR. Post the resource changes, once we destroy the initial wave of prowlers the new ones coming to replace them slows to a trickle, allowing us to push back outside to the points. The general TR zerg seems to be having a hard time overcoming this old crutch.
  10. Averath

I honestly find it very disheartening that people consistently slide some blinders on and dramatically raise their finger and scream at the top of their lungs that "The Lattice System is to blame!" Naturally, according to a vocal minority of players, the Lattice System is to blame for the fall of the economy, and the common cold.

Truth be told, the Lattice System did not turn this into a numbers game. The game was worse before the Lattice System arrived, but many are unwilling to acknowledge that fact due to the current state of the game not having improved much post-Lattice System. There is one key aspect I wish to bring up that should hopefully put this argument to rest.

Planetside 1 had a Lattice System. The Lattice System from Planetside 1 is no different from the Lattice System in Planetside 2. The differences between the two games are other areas. I will give an example.

Capturing a base in Planetside 1 required infantry, and infantry alone. A vehicle could not influence the capture of a base, only infantry could. All bases also had choke points. Compare the base design of Planetside 1 with Planetside 2. Look at one of the capture points in Planetside 2. They defy all logic of a location that would realistically be strategically important. There are often 5-6+ methods of entering into a room that you are expected to defend. Conversely, there are often no viable methods to leave the area in which you spawn, unless you would like to earn a shiny new death marker in less than 3 seconds.

Generators in Planetside 2 have no real value, either. Look at the Generator Rooms of Planetside 1. Those were important, and were not impossible to defend. Look at how you captured a base in Planetside 1, it took actual effort due to the requirement of hacking a terminal. You had to spend 30 seconds defending a single person hacking this little terminal, and if they were killed you had to start over. You didn't have to just sit at a point waiting for it to flip to your color, and twiddle your thumbs.

Look at the placement of bases, the number of bases, and the purpose and bonuses of each base. Indar is terribly designed, because you've hardly any reason to reach out of your own little corner, because you've one of each facility, and that's all you need! There are no reasons to fight over the other facilities except to deny them the benefit of that facility, and the only facility that has a worthwhile benefit is rendered moot because you're still able to effortlessly pull MBTs from the Warpgate.

The reason Planetside 2 is starting to feel stale is because it lacks the heart of what made Planetside 1 interesting. It is lacking that dynamic that made capturing a base actually worthwhile, and keeping it important. It is not the fault of the Lattice System by any stretch of the imagination.
    • Up x 4
  11. swiftmiester

Im a player who plays mostly from 11pm+ during the week and most the day on weekends at times. A main problem TR has with alerts is a vast majority of players do not even choose to participate or "wait" to c if people are. If everyone just responded in a reasonable amount of time we wouldnt have half the issues we do atm.
    • Up x 1
  12. HadesR

Already lost ...
  13. GalacticBulge

Ever since the merge good players & outfits on TR have become diluted. I guess Helios wasn't exactly a hotbed for TR competitiveness. I'm VS on Connery, and we definitely got some nice depth added to our gene pool post-merge.

NC are anything but weak. They roll us up quite often, but I agree at the moment the VS is the more powerful faction. I'm just happy Connery doesn't have the insane pop imbalances we used to have prior to merging. Yes they still can happen, but they aren't as frequent nor as severe most of the time.
  14. Owleyes

Ever since VS became FOTM I have been playing TR because they're the lowest population.

My main is VS Connery and I'm hoping that being underpopped will make the TR a better fighting force like being underpopped made Connery VS a better fighting force.
    • Up x 1
  15. Benton!

Pretty sure Connery TR does badly because I play against them.
  16. Bill Hicks

No, alot TR went VS ask terrex some just left like tom spambadil.
  17. Fanaticalist

I've noticed Connery TR has a really weird obsession with attacking. Just kind of attacking in general. Maybe some platoon leaders need to get the memo that base capture XP isn't the gold mine they think it is.

I played TR on all 4 North American servers and the faction on Helios and Connery was both filled with good players and outfits (if under-popped on Helios). I just think the two groups haven't blended well.
  18. Bruiserdog

lol, how half of the nc while taking a base stands in front of spawn shield and feeds the people in spawn kills ( Thank You btw) that type of screaming?
  19. Baconite

My experience is as a lone wolf that tries to find the weaker VS fronts where I can make a bit of a difference. I don't join the easy cap zergs unless it's tactically important or I got there first. I *try* to find fights close to 50-50 as possible. That said:

IMO, More often than not the TR's main problems are that they're too slow to react, and lack numbers to make meaningful pushes. However, they are quite an effective force with prowlers and mossies.

I think NC's problem is that they're never in the right place at the right time.

This thread started as a complaint, but I think I can offer a few solutions because solutions might actually help:

1. Winning affects populations more than anything, but morale also plays havoc on even loyal soldiers. Perhaps your empires are boiled over with frustrations from constant losing and your populations are hurt by a toxic environment: Nobody wants to see angry orders calling everyone failures or getting hate tells for accidentally TK'ing someone. If frustrations are high, try to refrain from verbally abusing teammates, and collectively disapprove of such behavior. If you TK someone, send a tell and apologize. I always take the time to do this, and I've never been retaliated against or had bitterness left over. Winning isn't around to bring your population numbers up, so you just might have to rely on a fun, relaxed environment to get people to stick around for NC/TR Connery. People might leave just because you're losing, but even more will leave if it's just miserable regardless of wins and losses.

2. Refrain from calling the other empires' stuff OP in an excessive manner. We get it; each other empire has weapons you envy, but you also have weapons they want too. If I'm a BR1 TR logging into Connery, and all I hear is "**** VS/NC You only win cuz your weapons are OP!" I might say, "Man, I think I'll go play those empires and get me some OP weapons!" Some people yell incessantly about how OP another empire's weapons are (I'm not going to name names but I can think of 2 TR players off the top of my head that consistently do it). Besides, numbers are more important that anything else in this game.

3. Help the noobs. If you see a new player, it may not be your outfit's policy to invite others to your platoon...so work with popular public outfit platoon leaders and have them send that player an invite! You need all the players you can get and, more importantly, you need to keep them. If you decide to be noob friendly, you need 2 things: A) connect with them somehow, and B) let them have some real fun. Optional is C) Small sacrifices.

A) Connect - It could be anything; pokemon, guns, sports, whatever. New players in a new game are just like meeting people in any other environment: You don't really feel comfortable or at ease until you find someone you have in common with. Yes, you're probably going to run into annoying kids, but just as often you'll find good folks. (Sometimes you'll have to use in game voice chat too until they're comfortable enough to download TS3, mumble, etc).

B) Let them have fun - Offer to let them gun a Harasser, MBT, or Lib. Have them pull a MAX suit and support them while they get a feeling of awesomeness. Be nice but firm: The quality people will stick around and understand that they can't get all the glory, while the "moochers" will eventually bleed off because they ALWAYS expect you to let them gun a vehicle or be around constantly to repair their MAX, and they never offer it in return.

C) Small Sacrifices - Maybe do a collective discussion between outfits and new players? If they like tanks and your outfit doesn't do tanks much...try to talk to a vehicle oriented outfit on their behalf. Sure, you might lose a member, but if another outfit on your empire gets a new player, that will still help your empire. It's certainly a lot better than, "I just got vaporized by 25 magriders...man, we don't do anything like that on TR! I should roll a VS alt and talk to those guys about joining!"

Alright I'm EST and it's late, I hope my advice isn't terrible and that Connery doesn't turn into Mattherson or Waterson (which I have VS and TR characters on respectively and I can't even play because it's so boring and unfulfilling knowing we vastly outnumber the enemy...and I don't want to reroll again).
  20. RemusKarrik

Old player from TR helios here.

I must agree with one of the previous posters, these days it's much more fun to play against NC than VS. Probably because of the fact when we try to attack something even slightly important in next 5 minutes we end up outnumbered 5 to 1, seeing 80% / 20% so soon is just depressing. Not to mention those annoying VS weapons, I'm not talking about the non existant bullet dropoff, though it helps the frustration, I mean those dubstep guns that go wub wub one moment and the next one you cant see **** from all the blue stuff flying around your head. The NC will just shoot you in the head and be done with it.