42 Higby messages on Official forums. 400+ on Reddit

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberBonisseur, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Bankrotas

And you ******* ruined the answer to question to life, universe and everything. Good ******* job!
    • Up x 2
  2. jak

Way to be professional.
  3. Koldorn

:eek:
  4. KlyptoK

I can't blame him. I don't find this forum overly constructive, including my own posts.
    • Up x 4
  5. Ash87

It could be, but again... If your going to root out all of the malcontents out of the forum you would need a fumigation tent. I mean you check the other sites, you'll get everything you want... it's not that difficult to do. If this actually involved some kind of effort on people's part that would be one thing. But I'm exerting more energy typing this out, than I do going to scan reddit and PSU. Not to mention that reddit has some kind of active way of letting the devs know which subjects require attention and which don't through the voting system. I mean about a couple weeks ago there was a long discussion on a tweet on PSU and reddit, involving how the Battle Islands were going to be working. This was a response to a video from MLG anaheim. No one brought it up on PS2. Infact I gave it a few hours before just reposting it myself, and the response was something 2 pages of people saying: "THE TR DON'T DESERVE INDAR, MY FACTION DESERVES INDAR." No one brings Anything up on PS2, unless it is about how wildly overpowered X is, and it's that way, because the Original poster has an opinion that matters. Oh, unless they want to make a post about how the game is dying... and if you wish on a star hard enough, you can make that reality.

Maybe people saw fewer comments as less dev attention, that is their prerogative... perception is reality and whatnot. But at this point even trying to contribute to conversations means your going to get flamed with nonsense... so how exactly does one go about fixing this situation?
    • Up x 1
  6. Vetto

And the golden reason why he doesn't post here, people are so uptight.
    • Up x 1
  7. RHINO_Mk.II

$20 says he heard about this thread from twitter or reddit.
    • Up x 7
  8. Eclipson

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  9. HadesR

By letting people feel they are being listened to I guess by Dev feedback .. I don't mean the monthly " We do read threads " political answer, but my proper interaction. In the end it doesn't matter if people are ignored as long as they feel they are being listened to.

Ofc that's just my opinion for what's its worth.
    • Up x 1
  10. Elaan

11. Ash87

But what do you call a proper interaction? I mean 3/4 of the questions people ask, and say they never get answers to... there are answers out there, they just again... don't choose to see them because PS2 people by and large have some kind of phobia of other PS2 sources. Then you get to ideas: If you introduce an idea and get a landslide of feedback, you get attention. Ajay's Galaxy thread, EliteEskimo's TR Refurb, etc. etc. 90% of ideas don't get a comment because people don't seem interested in them.

I mean I would say part of this, is that there isn't enough feedback on posts available on these forums, so that you can tell what people agree with and what people dislike. The only thing like that is the roadmap, and PS2 forums hates the roadmap. That's why you get people saying: "Yeah it was upvoted by 200 people, but the comments were largely negative therefore everyone doesn't like it."

I mean people are entitled to hate reddit, but ffs, at least reddit takes care of itself.

And no, you are making a valid point. I just don't see it happening because at this point even good news gets a massive and violent reaction on the PS2 forums.

Edit: And here is a perfect example of why we cannot have good things. The Reachcast show posts their question here every week. Without fail I have never seen that post stay on the front page more than 1 day. Conversely, there were threads on this forum for 3 weeks following the lattice, after Reddit had shot down every last Anti-lattice post. People not debating new points, be belaboring the same tired points verbatim over and over. The Reachcast guys try really hard and produce a good show every week, but if the PS2 forums community NEVER engages them. These are other people In The Ps2 Community trying to engage the PS2 forums and being ignored.
    • Up x 2
  12. HadesR

Not a phobia as such .. I personally feel the official sites ( forums / wiki ) are all I should need to gather information from, and I'm not going to troll around 3rd party sites when said information should be available here.
    • Up x 3
  13. Spookydodger

I would imagine that he can't post as freely here as he can on a non-sony property. Though that doesn't really make me feel any better.
  14. UberBonisseur

I don't know about every suggestion being thouroughly examined and discussed, but afaik SOE pays moderators.
    How can reddit compare ?

The main issue I have is, Reddit is a weak platform compared to forums.
    There is no way near as much features as we have right now. No video embedding, no advanced editing, no post tracking, primite search functions... Reddit also has Karma fishing. You get thrice the ammount of views/reads if you post a video or a funny picture because, well, thumbnail.

Regardless of the content, Forumside IS the superior basis, not Reddit.
    If you wanna do things properly, start from here.
  15. MichaelS

Tbh, they can debate on twitter and and reddit as much as they like, but I want to get informed on the official website. And best I like to be informed in time. If someone need to search information then it's kind of hidden.
  16. Coffee Hound

The format of the Roadmap is horrible. The pseudo-Reddit multi-page outline format is a chore to read, especially since you can't collapse segments like you can in Reddit.
    • Up x 1
  17. Ash87

What I'm saying, is that reddit posts information that people want and members of reddit LOOK for that information. You have Shaql on Reddit who posts a FULL SET OF PATCH NOTES that he gets via datamining, for people on reddit to see. If someone doesn't know something they look for the information. You don't get ANY of that here. I mean, you don't even get repostings 90% of the time. I mean I see people posting ideas that they want to propose on Reddit or PSU, because they know they'll actually get feedback there, that's what I have started doing when I come up with something.

And come on, the SOE forums here are kind of not great. I've already been banned for criticizing some of the features here before, so I'm not going into it again, but if you've ever tried to type large posts out with formatting, you know what I mean. It may have a few things that makes your life easier, but it's buggy as all hell.
  18. Ash87

Yeah and here is the thing... there has been a TON of information that has come out about the game in videos and whatnot over the past month. While June didn't have as much active content development, it had a lot for the future of the game. None of this was given to the other sites, but almost all of them have run multiple page discussions on the matter.

The largest post currently on the PS2 forums: C4 vs. Tanks
    Wow, thats a world shattering realization, people don't like getting blown up.

The example I used with HadesR up there: I reposted a video the Higby did where he basically laid out how battle islands and the lattice would work. It got 2 pages of comments and then was pushed aside for 3 more posts about things the community by and large has already filed under "**** I already know." No one here cares about that information enough to acknowledge it.
  19. XtalDelphium

That's because reddit has built in quality control, whereas on this forum there is no way to filter out the bad stuff. At least on reddit we can downvote the useless posts (i.e. I've spent 600 dollars and 5 months in game play time and I'm quitting because Vanu OP) to oblivion where they don't even get seen. That encourages people to post quality content, and keeps the trolls from being fed. If I were Higby I would stick with reddit as well.

I mean, yesterday there was that post on here asking people on Mattherson what outfits they like fighting. The entire last 3 pages of that post are Pat Cleburne and some guy in GOKU arguing over whose outfit pwns the other one more, posting stats that no one cares about and generally throwing insults at each other the whole time. Threads on here are constantly derailed by that kind of stuff. CONSTANTLY.

On reddit that kind of stuff doesn't even get seen, there the comments that actually answered the question would be at the top for everyone to see, and Pat and that other guy would be at rock bottom, and could have their argument amongst themselves down there. The good ideas get sent to the top. It is easier to see what the majority is in favor of on there. A dev can get on there, see the quality content, see which opinions are more popular, and avoid having to scroll through page after page of useless posts to get to the good stuff.
    • Up x 1
  20. jak

I'm not uptight at all.