MCG...how is it after gu11?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by HomelessMike, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Buphalo

They tried to use it as an underslung weapon but ran into problems with the gun not being able to fire over cover like low walls or rocks, hence the current model.

I would agree that the MCG is the best of the Heavy Weapons currently with the Jackhammer close behind and the lasher still being completely useless unless you're camping a spawn room or teleporter room door.
  2. Elbryan

Like already said, it's ugly. Makes an awesome sound though.

It's pretty mediocre now. Works best for close range and is usable on medium range.

You're still better off using the LMGs, but if you manage to sneak up behind a group of enemies, you'll have a good maniac laugh while mowing down enemies with the 200 bullet mag (extended mag). You need to be pretty much point blank though, as the accuracy goes to crap with full auto.

Overall, it's a fun gun to use. Not the best, but fun. =)
  3. Mykra

I really like the chain gun, but to be honest I'd like it in pretty much any form because it's a freaking chain...gun.

As said, it's 100% a team weapon. If you think you will be guarding or any other job that reduces you to small scale warfare, or in a lot of gun-fights where it's just you versus an enemy (or enemies)...for the love of God bring another gun. The MCG will win any firefight that you get the drop on the enemy with (thus allowing you to ramp up before retaliation) but you will lose 99.9% of any fights that the enemy either attacks first, or attacks at the same time as you. The TTK in this game simply does not allow for a weapon to exist that has a ramp-up time to remain competitive in small-scale settings. Not saying that's right or wrong, just saying that's how it is.

Also, my kills have gone down while using this gun (Although still doing well, so it's not like it's horrible or anything), however my assists have gone through the roof. I find that instead of trying to mow down smaller clumps of enemies in close range, that I'll instead put a couple bullets into every single enemy that comes into my cone of vision, and my team quickly finishes them off.

All said, I'm glad I have it, but it's firmly a number two option for fun or group support.
  4. Koldorn

According to one of the weapon reviews; you used to be able to stop the firing delay entirely by holding fire; and tapping sights, then letting it fall back to hip fire.
    The effect was: Pull trigger, tap; firing. This could be done as fast as the user could click.
    Does this trick allow you to bypass the building up fire rate period; or is it just not a thing anymore?
  5. rickampf

Works great as a squad support weapon, the MCG will provide excellent sustained fire against hordes of enemies.
    It is a pretty good situational weapon.
  6. GImofoJoe

A lot worse medium-long range now, CQC the accuracy is worse also, but the no spin up is a welcomed change. Overall a nerf IMO.
  7. HerpTheDerp

If popularity is any indication, it's the best TR HA gun.
  8. Hauser

I like it, although I don't play HA that much. It's incredibly rewarding to have people run away when they see you opening up. The weapon is situational though, and shines the best when you have a somewhat-good defensive position and can suppress an area (like bio lab landing pads). I wish it had larger ammo storage though, with extended mag, you just get one reload.
  9. Vearo

Personally I find that the maximum ADS CoF for the MCG is way too large for a weapon that penalizes burst fire. The choice is either to keep firing and not kill stuff quickly outside shotgun range or risk dying due to having to cycle through the wind-up. The ~2 seconds between wind-up completion and the CoF becoming too large is pretty good, although one could get nearly the same effect with any high RoF weapon.

A frustrating weakness of the weapon is when you come across a SMG or CQC carbine, where you can be out-DPS'd without the ability to (reliably) come ahead via headshots. SMG/Carbines have much better burst/alpha damage with immediate high DPS and the ability to open up with a few plinks to the head. The weapon isn't really capable of combating those classes of weapons when a competent foe is using them.

I haven't found a range where the weapon can reliably have an advantage in a 1v1 situation. Outside 1v1 (where most of the game is) it does well when you're not being (immeditately) shot at, but since I am able to land headshots with standard weapons the MCG doesn't really kill faster in the end. The MCG also isn't spectacular at longer ranges, where even the MSW-R/Carv can be far more usable with a forward grip.

TLDR:
    For me the MCG ends up being fun to have, but frustrating to use. The weapon theoretically trades alpha damage for sustained, but fails to actually be able to reliably land bullets on foes at distances where alpha isn't king.
  10. Casterbridge

In the right situations it's nice, Defending a choke point where enemies have to round a corner, or come up stairs through a door way for example, course other weapons would work in these scenarios as well.

Outside of that I find it at best mediocre, for me it would never be a first choice weapon, but it can be fun and even useful at the right times.

Situational weapon as has been said before, it's not bad to have, but never required and even in the best situations other weapons can work just as well.
  11. Erendil

This pretty much sums up my thoughts after playing w/ it in VR (my TR doesn't have the MCG) and going up against it on many occasions. Given a choice I'd buy the PDW-16 Hailstorm SMG before I'd get the MCG.

The MCG is better at ADS but it's not exactly a long range weapon. The Hailstorm also does less damage per shot (125 vs 143) and has a smaller clip (60 vs 100). but it has the same RoF, its hipfire CoF is tighter, it has access to the Adv Laser Sight, and it has higher alpha damage giving you a better chance at surviving a 1v1 encounter.

So if I'm heading into a CQC fight I'd prefer the PDW. If the battle is a mix of CQC and medium range I'd rather have the MSW-R LMG.
  12. Bankrotas

annoying as **** to fight against.