[Suggestion] New Turret?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Cainanpie, Jul 2, 2013.

1. bulletchaser666

you sir, are a dirty liar. thats like saying heavys only shoot rockets at tanks... i get lolpodded enough to remember how much i hate not haveing a striker yet
  2. BH Brigade

You cannot be killed (at least with reaver rocket pods) if you have max flak armor and pop your heavy shield. You will survive a full salvo if you pop your shield and use flak armor. Lolpodding is no longer profitable (thank god) you can kill one or two guys with a salvo, effective in TINY fights but in the overall battle it does nothing. Buying a striker will not make you immune to rocketpods, and you will still get killed just as often as without it.
  3. Mr. Neefe

what about instead of a flak turret make it more like the walker, I don't think at least as many pilots would complain about that and its fun to use, can balance the turret to make it only fire in semi long bursts before overheating.
  4. Vortok

After the strength of the AV turret, I shudder to think how strong an AA (or any other) turret might be.... and I don't even fly with any regularity.
  5. Phane

Offensive

AA Turret: launches multiple missile, anti-aircraft salvo. Best way I can describe it as in Macross series where they launch a barrage of smaller sidewinder missiles at a target. They would do less damage than a AV Turret rocket individually, but allow you to strike in a wider area. Unlike the AV Turret the missiles cannot be Guided, they must lock on a target before firing. It can still be used on infantry, static defense structures, or vehicles as well as air targets.

Charge Blast Turret: must charge to overheat status then releases a ball of plasma that damages nearly everything in its path. Unlike other turrets this one has a 10 second charge time, when it reaches overheat mode it automatically fires and everything up to 30 meters away, 6 meters diameter gets hit with intense heat suffering severe burn damage, friend or foe. The closer you are to the blast the more damage you suffer, the ball can be stopped short when it strikes a large vehicle, wall, or shield barrier. The turret has an equally long cooldown as the charge rate at base and upgraded.

Defensive

Shield Barrier Turret: creates a frontal bubble damage absorption shield when charging up. It shields everyone standing adjacent or behind you from enemy fire while allowing you to still shoot through while the engineer with the bubble has to stand there and charge/fire to keep it up. It won't be completely invulnerable like any Turret it can overheat and needs to be channeled to maintain and it only protects the front whereas any attacks from the flank or rear are open. The engineer is stuck channeling the bubble or else the Turret does nothing leaving him/her vulnerable. The shield suffers no damage from light Infantry fire, but does take damage from artillery and explosive damage like the Heavy Assault's AV rocket.

Infrared Scanner Turret: illuminates enemy infantry up to 20 meters away, 12 meters across in front of the turret through obstacles, vehicles, walls, and shield barriers to friendly team members standing within 10 meter radius from the turret; it can also see through infiltrators' invisibility when they are in motion, but cannot detect them standing still. They will literally glow through the walls like a Heavy Assault's personal shield. This turret is channeled and will remain detecting enemy infantry as long as it remains channeled.
  6. Dwup

I'd like to see this, even with current damage, 360 with making it high angle and anti air capable would be nice.
  7. Riku

You can introduce AA engi turrets if they (not necessarily the user, but the location of the turret) is highlighted on the minimap at all times (as long as they're rendered) and render at the max distance they can shoot out (so they can't hit air that can't shoot back). The issue is that there's tons of infantry - many, and I mean many of them engineer - which is, if I'm not mistaken, the second most played class after heavy. As mentioned above, 4 people firing small arms against an approaching esf will scare it off. More are really dangerous if the pilot is stupid. Obviously it's not only dozens of small arms trying to hit you if you pass by on a platoons battle; multiple skyguards, tank shells, bursters, lockons and all that sh.it. Also remember that ever vehicle (except the flash? not sure) has anti air weaponry available. Give the second most played class and aa turret that shoots out of render distance and we're back to imbalance in favor of infantry.

It's not like there's a lack of aa weaponry, no, there's a lack of people who use it. Cause for balance's sake soe made it so that when you use an effective aa weapon, you're a big target in a tank (skyguard, vulcan, ...) - not included here lockons, you can shoot them out of render distance for infantry however they will become easier avoidable with the next update.
    Let's face it, most players just don't like that air can shoot back when they pull effective aa. They want to shoot at a person that hasn't got them rendered on their screen. I honestly find this...yeah, lame to be blunt.
  8. Gridur

How about an autonomous 360 degree turn-around turret bot that takes a while to place out, and has a limited amount of ammo and perhaps a some what slow turn around speed? Should be deadly in close range I think.
  9. HeadshotVictim

I'd like a sunroof "turret".
    Just a spawn shield thingie that can be placed somewhere provifing faction coloured protection against sun and Zepher rounds.
    Height would be a problem but I think something around 2m would be okay. High enough to avoid splash damage when crouched.
    Lasting for a certain amount of time, then going on cooldown.
    This would provide Infantry an amount of time until they get proper AA. You can't park a Sundi beneath it. Tanks should be too high as well (or the posts hoding the shield can't be passed by a vehivle without destroying the cover)
  10. FateJH

They should just stop joking around and give Engineers access to the same secondary weapons they put on top of vehicles (not the exact same, mind you; they will be different weapons so you can't cert the Basilisk on your tank and get a free fully-certed Basilisk for your turret).
    • Up x 1
  11. bulletchaser666

i like it when people come up will crazy awesome ideas ,some are not likely to happen but the thought is cool
  12. Cyno

there should be different models of the NS vehicle guns for the turret, one like the Basilisk, Kobalt, Renagade, Ranger, Walker, not the fury, or bulldog, unless there was an arming distance to keep you from getting instagibed by your own turret whilst pelting a MAX. like they have the variants for the ground vehicles. weaker like they did for the flash and harasser variants of the FS weapons.
  13. NinjaTurtle

There are enough AA options in the game already
  14. Security99

When I never seem to have 350 resources to pull my dual bursters I would.
  15. Stoick

Mortar Turret. Nuff said.
  16. goliith

AA Turret: Do not make it Lock on Rockets, or Flak Cannons.

Make it a dual or quad barreled version of the AI: Mana Turret, take away it's shield. Give it a wider range of motion (BUT NOT 360° more along 180°-210° and of course allow it to aim much higher up.) Allow it to damage Liberators and Galaxies, and reduce the damage they do to infantry.

Give it a pretty narrow CoF but not ridiculous, then give it a decent but not over the top projectile speed with fairly bright tracers so that pilots can trace the origin of the AA fire.

Game set match, I'll buy 2.

TL;DR ~ An AA turret that actually takes a decent measure of skill to perform well with, can run off aircraft and kill the less intelligent ones who hover and charge recklessly, and is still vulnerable to ground vehicles and infantry.
  17. Vyss

I'd rather have a non-turret deployable to be honest. Like a shield bubble or cloaking device. The current mana turret is very powerful if you treat it as semi-auto and maintain a height advantage. I wish snipers couldn't snipe over the shield though and flanking we the appropriate way to counter them.
  18. oherror

As a pretty good ESF pilot i say sure why not on the AA turret. With the recent nerf to the 2x busters we are once again lol podding the crap out of stuff with little fear. I run with nano repair lvl 5 so if i do get hit i just chill for 30 sec and i'm good to go again. Really for better lolpodding get thermal for them.

But i digress AA turret for engy would be OK as it cant move and can be lolpodded. So i dont really see an issue if it works like a walker turret.
    • Up x 2
  19. hansgrosse

Let my Engi place one of these, plz.

[IMG]
  20. Shoza Nakh

Big no to FLAK Mana Turret. Less FLAK please, more skill based weapons. Give engineer something like Walker for close range AA duty. It must have no protection shield and gunner must be mostly open for incoming fire to balance it against infantry and armor.