Why can't we use ammo pack and explosive together?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Tsubaki, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Tsubaki

I don't understand why the ammo pack is under abilities in certs but takes up your utility slot and thus prevents you from carrying an explosive at the sametime. Is this eventually going to get changed or is it something in terms of balance? I don't see it being overpowered to allow an engineer to carry both at the same time. In all honesty whenever I'm not carrying an ammo pack I feel useless to the team but at the sametime when I run into vehicles I want to be able to C4 them.
  2. insane2170

You can, from what used to be a bug but is now a common and allowed practice.

Put explosives into your utility slot.

Press your turret button.

Press B.

Fire.

Ammo has been dropped.
    • Up x 4
  3. Tsubaki

Oh what the crap! haha thanks thats really weird I had no idea this existed.
  4. CanadianAttackBeaver

I never realized this was a "bug" that turned into a "feature", but you're right, most Engineers do this now.

I remember when I finally found this out; I had a Homer-esque Doh! moment. I can't remember how much running back and forth I did to drop mines and then go back and grab an ammo pack.
  5. HeadshotVictim

nothing says "I am n00b!" more than an enigneer shouting "I need some ammunition!" xD
    sorry to say this... most people know now that you can swich your turret, the ones who don't - just look silly. :d
  6. Heretic

So much wasted time! Why was i not informed. If i ever meet you in public i must buy you a drink.
  7. Ribero

I've had Engineers throw Mines at my feet followed by an all caps chat message saying "I DON'T HAVE AMMO I HAVE MINES", only to have me explain this little tip to them. I kinda feel bad for how embarrassing it looks for them.
    • Up x 3
  8. Nepau

From what I had heard this was not really a bug, but a workaround put in back in beta because they wanted to let the Engy always have access to the Ammo pack, but didn't have the ability to give them yet another weapon slot to select from.
    • Up x 3
  9. SirIBON

speculation that this is a bug, i hear from "insane" the first time.

how it works is now known. tell it to others and love to have more ammo.
  10. illgot

I remember in December when a poster started telling people about this, suddenly everyone had 2 ammo packs out at the same time :)

Yeah, was a bug and they just kept it as a feature which is nice.
  11. Xasapis

It is definitely not a bug. It is considered an alternate mode to the ACE utility.
  12. Calisai

The fun thing about the original implementation was that the alternate fire version was level 3 no matter what level ammo pack you had certed. The regularly dropped one was the correct level.

That's why people consider it a bug they kept around. Whether it was or not is probably only known by a few select SOE developers.

It definitely was/is an "undocumented feature".... there have been many threads like this since it was discovered. (They fixed the level and ability to have two at the same time, so it's meant to be there now)

From about a week after release. Was there during late beta as well if I remember correctly.
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...st-useful-thing-to-know-as-an-engineer.54388/
  13. Takoita

This is what a lack of tutorial does to the playerbase: knowledge of core class abilities is propogated by word of mouth.

*sigh*
    • Up x 2
  14. Nerd Mode

Ok, I've only been playing for about a month and this is the first time I've heard of this. Unfortunately I rebound the "B" key to something else; what's B do as default??
  15. RealityWarrior

Switch fire rate
  16. Compass

On the back side of the "MAGIC TURRET SPAWN DISK, THIS SIDE UP" is a label that reads "AMMO PACK SPAWN DISK, THIS SIDE UP." No one ever thought of putting the THIS SIDE DOWN LABEL on the front face.
    • Up x 1
  17. Tommyp2006

This is one of those useful tips that needs to get spammed in /orders chat multiple times a day.
    • Up x 1
  18. Xasapis

This is one of those tooltips that need to go to the loading screens. I'd also add the:
    • Only medics can rezz maxes.
    • Medic tool can be used to heal, not just rezz
    • Only engineers can repair maxes
    • Up x 1
  19. colt .45 killer

Im not sure which is more sad here, that people don't know about this, or that the ones who do think it is a bug..
    • Up x 2
  20. HeadshotVictim

it's okay... I'll cert order chat and spam it daily.
    Am I allowed to do this via script? or is this against company politics?