Why you should care about your faction. (Lore)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by The Crimson Overlord, Jul 2, 2013.

1. ExarRazor

I like now higby not only screwed up the game itself, he completely REWROTE planetsides already established lore
    • Up x 1
  2. ExarRazor

blame higby. your post is pretty close to PS1 lore, except for the NC bit.

the TR were STRANDED on auraxis, with no way to contact ANYONE who didn't come with them through the wormhole. therefore, there ARE no 'megacorporations' to run the NC.

PS1's lore is something like: TR goes through wormhole, get stranded on auraxis. finds vanu tech. the VS see the vanu as benevolent, the TR as a threat. VS splits off from TR. in the chaos, the NC decided they just didn't like taking orders, and also split off.

no megacorporations are involved, because even if there WERE, there would be no contact between auraxis and wherever the TR came from, I assume earth. it isn't really specifically mentioned
    • Up x 1
  3. Ivalician

ITT: Retconning.
  4. Aethestis

If you are a zealot looking for a cause? we got you covered!

Want a badass helmet/hat? We got you covered

Want to be a mercenary and shoot things for money? We got you covered!

Want to save the terran way of life? We definately have you covered

"The TR, When you need coverage the most, the TR is there to help you get back on your feet"

You need to watch TR TV commmercials more... they explain it all...
  5. Haruk

6. ComradeHavoc

7. MrEclectic

The OP is the PS1 lore. It has been revised/retconned.

Over at planetside-universe.com the updated PS2 lore can be found.

The original Terran Republic back on Earth is a global mixed-economy democratic utopia, after a global war came abruptly to an end as a wormhole appears on the outer reaches of the Solar System. Some centuries in the future, a former president, Connery, discovers an alien artifact in the Oort Cloud, and manages to calculate the next appearance of the wormhole. He enlists Briggs, an autistic but brilliant scientist, and gets countless volunteers and the reluctant support of the Republic for an expedition through the wormhole. Corporate magnates who wish for a return to looser regulations and free market economy, form the NC, trying to manipulate unions, their mercenary corporations and the upcoming expedition towards their own goals.

As the fleet passed through the wormhole, it collapses, and they are left stranded, having lost valuable supply ships. Rationing is employed. The NC fuel the situation by using their mercenaries and their plants within worker unions to spark riots, hoping to increase their influence in the fleet. Further draconian measures introduced, yet the violence is escalated by both TR military and NC-backed mercenaries and insurgents. Waterson, a TR military officer of the expedition organises the assasination of Connery and the major NC leaders, the destruction of Connery's ship, and a coupe d'etat. Military junda established, in name only the Terran Republic. They discover Auraxis and another artifact. Meanwhile Briggs hears the Voice of Vanu, gets cured, but then commits suicide. Nevertheless, his work fuels both a scientific and technological revolution but also a cult of personality, which eventually leads to an almost ancestral reverence of Vanu.

On Auraxis the tension between the TR and the NC rises, and eventually leads to war. The expedition personnel still focused on the original exploratory mission, with the techs and scientists at its core, having achieved astonishing scientific and technological breakthroughs, declares indepedence, and at the same time war at both factions.

Noone is in the right: the TR have lost the core values of the Terran Republic back on Earth, exchanching freedom for control and eventually getting neither. The NC fight for a return to a situation that in the past lead to global war and the world to the brink of extinction, only saved by the Wormhole Incident and the rise of the transparent, democratic and egalitarian Terran Republic. The VS lost sight of the mission's purpose, and strive for control of any Vanu related discoveries.
    • Up x 2
  8. AnnoyingFlies

[IMG]

... You were saying something about lore?
  9. ComradeHavoc

VS doesn't want new players to know this, but those buns, are the buns of a male.
  10. Sea of Ink

Well, I'd go gay for that ***.
  11. NikkoJT

Live free in the NC.
  12. ManualReplica

Live by the Nanites, die by the Nanites!
  13. Cowabunga

The bias is strong with this one.

You got the lore kinda wrong mate and very subjective. :p
  14. LevonVeldspar

This post owns.
  15. Wintermaulz

Actually, there are mega corporations. When Connery lead the expedition through the wormhole, he brought along with him (around) 20k TR military personnel, 20k scientists, and 20k laborers, including the sponsors of the expedition, who were the leaders of the Sol system interplanetary mega corporations.
    • Up x 2
  16. Fumblewatt

Don't mind if i do!

Oh, brilliant! You can now step out of the combat simulator and grab yourself some spandex.
    It is standard procedure to inform newly awoken Vanu of "recent" events, the Auraxian war was won by the Sovereignty several years ago, the TR/NC resistance relied on Vanu technology to defend their headquarters, that mistake proved to be fatal.

Oh.. dang... i forgot to mention where you are! You are at the base formerly known as the "Vanu Archives", it now serves a purpose to rehabilitate the "worst cases" from the war.
    The procedure of the rehabilitation is simple, we place the subject inside a combat simulator that simulates the Auraxian war and when they realize that their "cause" will only lead to it's own demise even if they would win, only then are they to be released.

Some of these "worst cases" around the rehabilitation center:

Subject 562:
    Mass murdering MAX user, prone to excessive violence.

Subject 883:
    TR spy, scans indicate that this subjects last nourishment contained human flesh.

Subject 1203:
    Explosives expert, when Vanu soldiers pin-pointed his location and he was finally cornered, he proceeded to blow himself and the VS soldiers, while laughing hysterically. I heard that was a mess to clean up and re-clone him and all the soldiers.

Subject 1700:
    Prowler pilot, last TR general mounting their last defense after loosing the TR HQ, total blind loyalty towards TR, subject may never change to provide intel when VS takes earth with the new mothership "Briggs"

Subject Unknown:
    NC general, his combat simulator had the lumbifier trim, Papa Vanu took a personal interest in this subject so he had to be relocated, but while that combat simulator was still here, one could hear muttering coming out of it, saying "VS only use OP stuff"

These madmen cannot be released into the glorious VS society until rehabilitation has been successful.

And oh since VS won... i believe some end game music is in order:
    • Up x 3
  17. Wintermaulz

We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7. Activity recorded M.Y. 2302.22467. (TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED)
    I think this is an appropriate quote
  18. xArchAngelx

Soooo...in reality..

VS are actually scientists that work for Weyland Industries
    NC are actually Weyland Industries
    TR are actually the Colonial Marines

*mind officially blown*

(if you don't know what I'm talkin about..go watch Aliens)
    • Up x 3
  19. Wintermaulz

Game over man!
    • Up x 2
  20. Bhudda V1

got to say tr and nc seem to try to screw each other over when the real problem they should be fighting is the vanu, but still it's nc's fault for breaking off from the tr but that's because the tr were so busy trying to keep the vanu from going fricken nuts which happened a long time ago it seems, but the tr and nc seemed to cohibitate relatively well even though they were effectively fighting politically and physically they got **** done though i will say that.

still nc's number 1 for me and tr not far behind with vanu coming in far dead last by a few miles, there can be things said for alot of things good and bad but the tr had the right idea to throttle the vanu's drive for alien tech even though the vanu didn't realize it themselves.