here we are, it's pay to win.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MightQuinn, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Bankrotas

Amateur.
  2. phreec

What I'm saying is that having to resupply explosives at terminals is what stops spam, not resources. Only the likes of UBGL's and rocket launchers can be spammed since they have infinite ammo and don't require you to run back to a terminal to resupply.

Think about how the game would play out if there weren't any Infantry Resources. It wouldn't be much different now would it? You get two sticks of C4 and a grenade. You toss 'em, you don't, either way if you need more you'd still need to fall back to get it, just like now. Only difference is that currently only those who pay can get to freely use their explosives/medkits/MAX's for tactical tasks without worrying about running out as they basically got constant infinite resources.

Infantry Resources don't actually serve any purpose but to restricts non-payers so they'd buy membership or boosts. It's a very smug and foul business model.
    • Up x 1
  3. Playful Pony

If you need a specific resource, fight in an area that gives that resource. If you do, you'll fill up your supply in no time and get back to using whatever equipment you need, and drive whatever vehicle you want!
  4. DramaticExit

I don't know if I'm right about this, but I always assumed you only earned resources if logged in.
  5. Sordid

Really? Have you actually played it? It's infinitely more polished and professionally put together game than Planetside 2 with heaps and heaps of content. If anything, it's PS2 that doesn't deserve that label.
  6. The King

The thing with that game is, you win by not playing. You only lose when you give in.

There's another game, it's not really pay2win but people are still paying $32-43 per a single weapon.
    But in a way it is, but not to an extreme as you do not need them. Just put in 100s of hours and you can get stuff with ingame money.
    There was a thread about how much you spent, and since they kept track, it was pretty accurate. Some people spent $2000-3000... on overpriced ****. Game is called All Point Bulletin : Reloaded.
    http://forums.gamersfirst.com/topic.../page__p__3213676__fromsearch__1#entry3213676

lol
    If the game is like the game you played, you shouldn't be playing it.
    If it's like the above, it's not bad. But people are still stupid to spend all that money.
    I used to think PS2 was kinda expensive... But they're the least P2W game out there since it isn't a P2W game at all.
    The OP doesn't even know what a P2W game is, but I am willing, he is realizing what is p2w..
  7. Macchus

no its actually went back to being " Game i can only stand to play for an hour max ".....
  8. Macchus

well lets hope that his free computer was worth at least $1000...
  9. The King

Try Rift?
    It doesn't take much, but not sure if her laptop could handle that.
    She can always try the free servers for UO. lol
    That, she will be able to run.
  10. TeknoBug

We all know in May everyone had 1 month free premium and continent members queue got big but at the beginning of June the non-members queue grew big and I'm usually 1-2 in the members queue. Now int he past few days member queues are as big as 15-20, seems to me that the resource changes is encouraging people to pay up.

My playstyle hasn't changed, I almost never ran out of resources doing what I did before but now it's too easy to run dry.
    • Up x 1
  11. Caydn

umm you need to be logged on to get infanty resources , go to another continent and get resources Im sure your not warpgated on all 3
  12. Macchus

Well ive noticed a few complaints that " Membership isnt membershipy enuf " so im assuming they need 1 more way to make subbies feel like they are getting more for their money , otherwise why subscribe at all ? after a certain level/ amount of playtime subscription boosts are pretty moot when it comes to xp and such , so resources are the business way to go if SOE wants to make that dolla ...
  13. Compass

The person in question has spent at least $10K on his game.

This sale page the member in question contains items obtained from at least $400 of opened lockboxes, and given the luck people have them, most likely $1000.
    http://allods-forum.gpotato.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=50403

It also highlights the issues involved when cash items can be exchanged for in-game currency via normal trade routes (heavy inflation).
  14. Xocolatl

I see, thank you. Hmm..that is strange. Maybe I'm just getting worse than before then.

Med kits generally doesn't help me much. I'm usually either at full HP, or dead. I'm usually either supporting in the back (high latency), or I'm suicide bombing things (or at least I don't expect to survive much), so I don't actually use medkit all that much.
  15. DreamlessLiberty

"PlanetSide 2 is completely free to play and will offer players the option to purchase cosmetic and convenience items to improve their gameplay experience."

Having infantry and vehicle resources I assume is a convenience.
  16. Crator

That's from here https://www.planetside2.com/faq under 'Business Model' question. Does not having the boosters mentioned in the FAQ invalidate it though? They should mention it in there if you ask me though.
  17. Steihl

I've seen many things said here, from the genuine, to the ludicrous, the fact of the matter is you can play this game effectively without a dime spent.

Do we like every change SOE makes to the game? No, not all of us ever will. You can't please everyone all the time, I believe that's the saying here.

Do new resources costs effect game play? Yes, yes they do, and they were intended to. When I go out and destroy a bunch of enemy vehicles, I want it to hurt their resource wallet. Are some people going to be regaining their resources faster than others? Yes, yes they are, they spent money to support the game, and therefore they gain resources to be able to pull vehicles faster, that's a conveience. I wouldn't consider that pay to win. The pay to win barrier in this game is clearly pretty easy to define.. if I can start buying certs to expand my skills, that's pay to win. The fact of the matter is, I've seen very deadly F2P BR 1's kicking tail and taking names with default weapons, and I've seen some Mid-BR players, with boosts, and membership, that constantly die... <--- I'm one of those. This game still takes skill to be effective.
  18. chilly154

I just don't see how this is pay to win.
  19. Sen7ryGun84

Its not pay to win, it's just encouraging a varied play style. Being able to continually pull MBTs in quick succession was no good for the game and by proxy was badly effecting game balance as they had to design AV weaponry around the fact that there was an infinite stream of heavy armor in the game field.

You can still play full time tanker or pilot or C4 ***** kamikaze LA now, you just have to be good enough at it to ensure your incoming resources are greater than your expenditure.

The only time I have found myself short of resources since the changes has been when I've gone to pull MBTs or sunderers almost back to back after having them destroyed within minutes of spawning them. Even then I always have to enough to pull 2 MBTs back to back and make enough points with those two spawna to pull a third before I'm stressed for vehicle resources.

Most of the time I play I'm changing my role to whatever is required at the time so I play a good balance of infantry, armor and aircraft without ever really sucking my resources dry in one particular area. I'm also well aware of the value of mechanical assets in the field so I tend to play them conservatively in support of infantry rather than lone wolving on the front lines where I'm likely to be quickly obliterated by unforeseen threats.
  20. Fned

It's only P2W if one side has a ton more subscriptions than the other.

If you're F2P fighting against a paid member, but the guy next to the guy you're fighting is F2P, and the guy next to you has a subscription, then neither side has any advantage.

Paying gives you, personally, more options with which to rely on your teammates less while remaining effective. It only becomes P2W if one side of the conflict is mostly subscription and the other side is mostly F2P.
    • Up x 1