Q: Why would anyone want to play the underpop faction?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by chrisbeebops, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Riskae

when helios was just helios and when genudine came in too... TR were badly underpopped.... we thrived... stop whining.
    • Up x 1
  2. dBMachine

I picked my faction regardless of population. And regardless of who's winning the alerts. I'm no 4th factioner, I'm all VS baby!

We used to be under-popped for the longest time on Connery. I think we've picked up quite a bit. But I honestly don't care.
    • Up x 1
  3. Booface

I love playing the underdog Vanu on Waterson. The only time it's not fun is when you're warpgated, in which case you just switch continents.

If you are good at getting kills, it means you never run out of targets and you get a 50% bonus to XP on top of all your other bonuses. It also means that almost every fight is challenging, which is great.

Also, if you are playing one of the more popular factions, half the time there's not enough fighting to go around. You spend most of your time sitting on your *** waiting for facilities to turn, hoping that you're one of the lucky few that get a kill. When you play the underdog, it's the opposite--you spend all your time actually playing, rather than waiting for a chance to play.

Plus there's no sense of accomplishment like when your squad of 10-12 repels an entire platoon. The overpop factions tend to be filled with bored pubbies who have no idea what they're doing. They basically feed you certs, which widens the gap even more.
    • Up x 1
  4. LivesInNameOnly

what a stupid thread..of course id want to play the underpopped faction. what fun is it running around all day capturing empty bases and maybe getting a kill here and there
    • Up x 2
  5. gigastar

I play the underpopped faction in the hopes that one day, it wont be the underpopped faction anymore.

Or maybe im just a masochist. Both seem likely.
    • Up x 1
  6. Wezdor

I would, but can't. Because ******* 4th faction made us overpop. it sucks, you don't want it. Underpop is 10x better
  7. Van Dax

Lasher vs a whole bunch of nooby TR equals free xp.
  8. MasonSTL

That's a ridiculous statement considering most players would have to abandon a character that they have spent money on, in some cases hundreds of dollars.
  9. ThundaHawkPS

more **** to kill
  10. Vanus Aran

:D HEHEHEHE, this I cant deny.
    Blowing up Vehicles cause no one expects someone to attack them with Tankmines.
    After all my ressources are gone, changing continent to recover.
  11. G3arfried

if you're a lone wolf and can handle your self its free kills pretty much. More the marrier. I like to run behind enemy lines when they are picking on underpoped faction then snipe everyone because they all stand still lul.
  12. deggy

Is tarted playing TR because there are too many VS, so I'd play the underpopped faction.

For the record, I'm VS to the core.
  13. Roy Teppert

Obviously you play with the wrong outfits.
  14. Xocolatl

I do find pop imbalance to be pretty bad on some server (Briggs). Was stomping a continent last night where literally just my platoon alone outnumbered the other 2 factions combined.

I have to say that the new supply line thing (the Hex change) does help a lot though. It creates strategic choke point that if held, can really even the odd 300 style. You just gotta figure out where it is, and hopefully have an Outfit to back you up and hold the point.
  15. DreamlessLiberty

As TR Mattherson there is more stuff to kill but you get resource starved much quicker. But I stock up ahead of time so analog scripts ftw.
  16. Placate

Pop imba is the only thing that is making me seriously consider putting down this game for a while and see if they do anything to rectify it. It's not to bad on prime time but any other time it's an exercise in frustration.
  17. TrainerS2

Heheh we got 3 continents some of them got 90% of one population :D
    Then when it coming to fight you have 100 players on 10 , where here is balance !!!!!
    They need make one continent with faction balnce :)
  18. Jrv

If there were some sort of meta-game that complimented the resource benefits of owning territory, then it wouldn't be a problem, and it would actually play into more strategic gameplay, similar to planetside 1.

Ideally, it makes sense, but not in it's current state. If continent locking was introduced, then the natural loss of resources would push players off of a continent where they would be forced to regroup elsewhere. This would keep people moving, making fights more of a prolonged affair. ("Looks like VS still have indar, but we've made progress on esamir since last night", etc.)

Instead, we have a grind. No continent locks, so people stay on their favorite continent regardless and it just becomes a big farm for the large-pop faction.

The thing is, you're SUPPOSE to slowly get beat back worse and worse until you're at your warpgate, because that's how the "meta" game was originally designed, but where there is no ACTUAL metagame to compliment it, it doesn't work.
  19. Chipay

Vanu Ceres here.
    We rarely reach the 30% population here yet i rarely have the feeling that we're outnumbered in battles.
    That is, because I'm in a decent outfit, that is:
    1:Big enough to fill 48 people
    2:Not a complete ****** and knows when to fight and where.

If you're not comepletely outnumbered then it's not a problem, you've just got to choose your fights and let the mindless zergs of the enemy bump into empty bases again and again. They're frustated and we have had epic and fair fights.
  20. Elbryan

Because you don't select your faction on the basis of which has the most pop.
    You select the faction your friends are in or you just find to be the coolest.

Or you could be one of the losers who have no balls and join the winning team. Because it's not rewarding making your faction the winning faction. Just join the team that is already winning and the victory is guaranteed. Be proud of your accomplishment. ;)

So many losers in the game/internet/world it's not even funny. And a big mistake by SOE for making it easy for the losers to play the 4th faction.