Seems a bit too easy to die?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Drasilov, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Stigma

The TTK in this game is slower than most common shooters these days, and honestly even if were 2 or 3 times longer it probably wouldn't help much because that's not what keeps you alive. Understanding the game (not putting yourself into hopeless situations) and situational awareness (understanding what and where dangers are) does.

Either take some more time to understand the mechanics of the game or join an outfit to get some help getting started. When you start to understand why you died then you can start to prevent it and improve and the game will start to make a whole lot more sense.

Running out willy nilly from a camped spawnroom and expecting to "live more than half a second" just isn't going to happen, and it wouldn't improve the situation. This isn't an MMO RPG with guns where you slowly wittle down your enemies. Bullets hurt, and your main defence is not getting shot.

Or you know, try your hand at vehicles like a tank - it might be more to your liking. That said, you won't live long in one of those either if you don't work on the situational awareness thing. Even tanks die to focus-fire and C4.

Long story short - if you find the game frustrating I'd really recommend you join an outfit that has at least a few experienced players. Tag along with them and watch how they do things and stay alive. Not everyone who plays the game die every 2 seconds so obviously its not the game itself that is at fault here... evolve or perish :)

-Stigma
    • Up x 2
  2. VakarisJ

What about Battlefield 1942, 2142 and 2? I never really played BF3, however as I recall, in 2142 it was definitely longer.
    Also, who's to say if those statistics are accurate?
  3. WaiZen

STAHP! Don't give him ideas.

[IMG]
    • Up x 6
  4. Phazaar

You could try shooting the guy in the head? Remember that if he shot at you, that means you could have shot at him 98% of the time.
  5. Astoral

Some more tips - if not already mentioned... (ps - my K/D is around 0.5 so I die alot too. :) )

• Use the minimap - When enemies are spotted (press Q key every time you see an enemy) or they fire a gun without a suppressor fitted, they show up on your minimap. Look to see where your friendlies are heading. The mini map is your friend. Use it! (you can zoom in and out of it too. Check key options to find out how.
    • Use cover - Keep hidden. Use the C key to crouch down. Assume there are Infiltrators/Snipers watching you! They will be up in the hills and all around looking for easy, stationary targets. Hide inside a building if you can if you want to take time to assess wtf is going on!
    • Beware the LA's! - Alot of people forget to look up! That's where they will be, ready to hop down behind you, follow you into a door and shoot you in the back! They hide in tree and amongst rocks too and you'll be wondering, where the f*ck are they! As their bullets are dancing around your feet.
    • Learn to strafe - Pop in and out behind cover to have a quick look to see if its safe to come out. And if you do. Run! Hold the shift and leg it to the next cover. Weave whilst running to make yourself a harder target. Try running beside buildings, objects or what ever to help keep you covered.
    • Unless you're sniping, suggest you stay in a squad / platoon or where ever a big fight is happening to increase your chances of survival.
    It's a painful learning curve and many give up. I still make mistakes and get annoyed with myself, but keep going.
    I'm sure there are hundreds more tips to add. Keep at it. GL!! ;)
  6. Zenith

The older BF games had a far longer TTK, and to be honest it wasn't much fun... well, not for the guy doing the shooting in any case.
  7. DuckSauce

I can't answer to earlier battlefields (though I understand they were longer, more like Bad Company 2), but we can calculate BF3 TTK's easily with the resources available on symthic.

The M16A3 (BF3's clear favorite gun of everyone and their dog) is a 4-hit in CQC and fires at 800 RPM. (4-1)/(800/60)=0.225 seconds.
    The GD-7F (Among the fastest-killing autos in PS2) is a 7-hit in CQC and fires at 845 RPM. (7-1)/(845/60)=0.426 seconds.

However, the GD-7F is a CQC weapon that's fairly craptacular at range, while the M16A3 is good at everything. So fairer comparisons for BF3 could even be the AEK-971 (900 RPM) or the FAMAS (1000 RPM), which have ideal TTKs of 0.2s and 0.18s respectively.

With the same resources, we can calculate the TTK of CoD: BO2 (le gasp) weapons. The CQC favorite Type 25 is a 3-shot kill at 937 RPM, giving it a 0.128s TTK. Then again I watched about 10 minutes of a MLG match this weekend and saw someone using akimbo machine pistols that seem to be up on Symthic for the same damage model, which would give them something like a 0.06s TTK when used together...

As for trusting Glorin? He has a lot of FPS experience and he's pretty well-respected around here.
  8. WaiZen

The GD-7F isn't that bad at medium range, I prefer it over the mercenary.
  9. Bill Hicks

Also, its not the TTK counter strike was even more deadly and you couldnt respawn. Its the ease of killing that is the problem.
    This is why I love killing floor. A survival game where you had to master your weapon.
  10. Haruk

I can dig it, starting Planetside 2 is like stepping to a pool, from the deep end. It's not a gradually sloping beach, which would be much nicer, and you can probably drink there too.

Have you played FPS games in the past?
  11. Riku

Yes, may sound cliché and lame but it comes with practice. My advice to you would be to position yourself in low danger zones, i.e. not in the open when enemy rules the air, and not rush into the next room where a squad of enemies wait for you. You can't always follow your fellow empire mates because more often than not THEY rush to their instant death. With time you will get the hang of staying safe, gunning enemies down from safe positions, and staying alive long. Because in a game with such a short time to kill you basically have three options as a beginner.
    One: play medic/engineer (excellent beginner classes) and play defensively.
    Two: Play heavy assault and play it however you want.
    Three: use a scrub shotgun.
  12. AntonioAJC

I see that you're getting killed a lot. Welcome to PlanetSide 2.
    BTW, don't run in the middle of the battlefield because for the looks of it in what I'm reading, you're doing it.
  13. Garbageman

I made almost the same post when I first started PS2, and I had already played PS1 extensively.

If you persevere, things will get better. You will develop some situational awareness. The body remembers the pain. If you consciously work at it, analyzing what went wrong, it will come even faster.

But not to be underestimated is the effect of merely obtaining certs and getting better armor. If you run into an enemy in a one-on-one, say inside a room, both of you start firing at the same time, and your aims are equally good, then you're going to lose. Because the other player's armor is going to absorb 50% more damage than yours. So, know that, and don't do that.

If you do fight indoors, try to always stay with someone you can double-team an enemy with.

A good way to start is being a sniper, slowly and carefully moving up to a fight from a distance. As you slowly get closer, you will have time to reconnoiter, see where your allies are and where the enemies are, look at the tracers, listen to the sounds of battle, and get a mental picture of the battle lines and the tactics of both sides. On the other hand, if you exit a spawn room in the middle of a battle, not knowing the terrain or base layout, before you can look around and get your bearings you'll be dead. As you have found out.

Using instant action to randomly drop in somewhere typically results in death. You can get dropped right next to a waiting enemy, or into the middle of a battle between several enemy tanks. Even now, with decent armor and some experience, I don't expect to live long on a random drop. So do not do it if there is any other way to get into a battle.

If you don't want to ride in a vehicle, instead use the redeploy button on the map. Then you can at least spawn into a spawn room somewhere. These are all protected by shields, so you won't die instantly. If you choose the wrong one though, you'll find it surrounded by enemies blasting anyone who sticks their nose out. You can always redeploy again if it looks hopeless, but don't wait too long. There are letters in square brackets on the map indicating the control points. If the one for the place you spawned has the wrong color, your side is in the process of losing control of the spawn point. When that happens, a pain field will kill you within a few seconds. As will the waiting enemies when you run out. So look at the colored areas on the map and at the hot spots, and chose a base not right in the middle of a fight, but not too far away from one. Unless you know your side is pushing the enemy back, in which case you should go to the front line base. You can redeploy multiple times to hop across the map.

Or, catch a ride in a sunderer or galaxy leaving from your warp gate, or from whatever base your side just took over. If you are one of the first in, you get to man a gun. Don't start shooting at the first thing you see because you give away the vehicle's position. But if your vehicle is getting shot at or chased by another vehicle, then shoot back. Manning a gun won't give you a lot of kills, but you will occasionally get one. Mainly it is a safe place from which to look out and get a feel for the game, to develop some situational awareness. If you're next to a sunderer and a lone enemy infantry is camping it and starts shooting at you, hitting E (while looking at it from a close distance) to hop in will keep you alive a bit longer. If a sunderer is getting camped, then do not respawn there, period.

You can also trying being a gunner on a tank. Same benefit as being in a sunderer. You don't die immediately to a sniper or light or heavy getting the drop on you. But you are at the mercy of your driver, who conversely is also depending on you. If the vehicle starts to take damage you'll see the green color drain from it. You're probably going to die anyway, but hitting E to hop out before it blows gives you a small chance to run away and take cover.

As you gain cert points, you can start branching out to light or heavy or engineer or medic.
  14. IamDH

ahahaha that pic lol
  15. IamDH

and every other gun in the game
  16. phreec

No LOL! It's high compared to pretty much every relevant shooter on the market. I like it but it's in no way "extremely low" by any stretch of the imagination.
    • Up x 2
  17. VakarisJ

Your definition of relevant is up to question.
  18. Phyr

The only time I've been accused of hacking in COD was when I played matches using only a knife.
  19. ManualReplica

Its a matter of learning and predicting where the enemy is and how they react in an engagement.
    Infantry combat in PS2 has a very steep learning curve, regardless of what people say.
  20. phreec

Counter Strike
    Quake
    Call of Duty
    Battlefield
    Medal of Honor
    Red Orchestra
    ArmA
    Plus their sequels and spin-offs.

Ironically enough you don't see PS1 on that list since prior to PS2 I nor anybody I know ever even heard of it. :p
    • Up x 2