Air lock ons are fine

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Darkalfx, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Darkalfx

I play every role and switch consistently during any play session and I believe lock ons are fine.

Let's say I'm playing infantry, how in the world I am supposed to ever damage any aircraft if they can just loop around a mountain and come back to pod us more?

I am telling you, there is nothing, NOTHING infantry could do against aircrafts if the lock ons didn't work the way they do now.

Now the fact that lock ons might be too prevalent or too strong against ground might be valid, although from my own experience locked on missiles seems to hit the terrain more often against ground vehicles.
    • Up x 3
  2. Pikachu

Isn't it just the striker that is too powerful at air? AA rocket launcher is fine. :)
    • Up x 3
  3. Cougarbrit

Concentrated small arms fire works wonders on lolpodders. As for Libs and Gals, Flak, or AV weaponry on an incline.
    • Up x 2
  4. Sharpe

Nah, they aint fine.

The striker is too prevalent for what it does.
    If the problem is rocketpodders, any burster MAX (it's still exactly as good as it was before GU11 at lolpod ranges), or skyguard will kill it pretty fast.

Now using your example, let's say you're playing infantry... so is about 90% of the folks on the same hex you are - if you're TR, a vast majority of those will be carrying a striker - thus creating a complete no fly zone in a 500m radius for the VS and NC without EVER pulling a dedicated anti-air unit, nor giving up anti-ground capabilities.

That ain't fine.
    • Up x 2
  5. Darkalfx

According to your post, wouldn't the issue to address be Strikers and not air lock ons?

Maybe the best way to be able to judge air lock ons from a more unbiased approach would be to bring Strikers in line with the rest of the weapons first?
  6. Kevorkian

I believe most TR would prefer a dumbfire Striker.
  7. Sharpe

That would be a start yes - apart from the striker I don't really see them as unbalanced.
    Simply as an extremely bad mechanic to have in a game.
    • Up x 4
  8. BigMacDeez

But the Striker hits both air and ground!!!111

So does the Annihilator...and it's available to ALL EMPIRES??? Madness!

But it shoots MOAR rockets!

Empire specific trait? Say it ain't so!! :(
  9. joe smo

now all we need are guns that fire bullets that lock-on to people's heads and do 360* turns if they some how miss, I mean that would be fair right?
    • Up x 2
  10. holycaveman

Skyguard, turrets, and the max are all more effective against air.

But with your attitude of helplessness, air will dominate. Thanks.
    • Up x 1
  11. MarlboroMan-E

G2A rockets are fine, A2A rockets are not.
  12. Fumblewatt

I'll be damned, post-GU11 and a lolpod thread has emerged, better hurry up on those domes Higby or tighten up the CoF + reducing the bloom on bursters. :cool:
  13. Phazaar

Yeah, and the Annihilator's lock on time is what? And the Striker? Now how much damage does the Striker do per volley? Per minute?

Seriously, obvious troll is obvious; no one is actually that dense.
  14. ABATTLEDONKEY

This sentence is an indication of your lack of imagination, or lack of experience with some of the older games.

Right off the top of my head, I know of 2 means of deterring aircraft (because thats ALL it should be able to do) using a shoulder fired launcher:

Launcher 1: Basically a dart guns. Shoots a small rocket, at an extremely high velocity (much like the lancer) which does moderate damage to aircraft, and zero to none against infantry or tanks

Launcher 2. Pheonix, part 2. Bascally a camera guided rocket, that is large, but fast and agile. Deals NO direct damage, but is remote detonated dealing considerable flak damage to an area, or in a specific direction (like a giant shotgun).

Both of those ideas were used in games I played 10 years ago, against aircraft MUCH MUCH MUCH more lethal than ESF's and liberators and they worked very well. not to mention the fact you could have 2 engies somehow collectivly construct an AA turret or some sorts, and that AA maxes are STILL worth a dang, even if they are not Gods anymore.

Dumbing down the G2A experience, in this game, to the lowest form possible is NOT the solution. Creative, fair, and fun solutions ARE the solution

Not to mention that fact that have absolutely ZERO sympathy for ANY infantry that wants the ability to combat aircraft. That is just such a silly mentality it shouldnt even be entertained. If air is a problem, bring air support, or AA support. Its REALLY that simple. Dont support poor mechanics in the name of catering to your style of play.
  15. ABATTLEDONKEY

This ^^
  16. theholeyone

Decis work wonders on hovering ESFs, and its not the easiest thing to hit infantry on a fly by pass if they are firing dumbfires.

Btw, this game is about combined arms, if AA is a problem get some units to go AA duty, maxes, skyguards or other ESFs, or just find some cover.
  17. BigMacDeez

Get rid of everything. It's the only way. Uninstall the game. If they replaced all weapons with f*ckin' rocks I'm sure most of you would still b*tch about the size of another empires rock being OP.
  18. zedfonsie

I think it's all launchers locking onto the air, the reason why everyone hates the striker is that every TR uses it and they don't have to make that choice of "do I want to use an g2a launcher or a g2g launcher".