Should one shot kills not be in this game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by dBMachine, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Blarg20011

Eh, theoretical TTK is closer to 500 ms for most weapons, but your point still stands. Games like Halo (at least up to 3/Reach) balanced this out by making most short TTK weapons rare/difficult to get and have very limited ammo pools. When you can spawn in anytime with a PA shotgun or a BAR, which then refills with ammo from the friendly neighborhood Engie's ammo pack nigh instantly, that is where the problem lies... lays? lies. whatever.
    • Up x 2
  2. Glorin

0.7 ms is seven tenths of a millisecond, which is not what I was talking about. I was talking about 700 milliseconds, which is 0.7 seconds.

For reference, human reaction time ranges between 110 milliseconds to 250 milliseconds. In Planetside 2, 700 milliseconds is the average Time To Kill for most guns in the game. Actual fights last around 1.8 seconds, which include the aforementioned reaction time, the gun's TTK, aiming speed, and accuracy. However, the only factor of those four things that is not related to skill is the TTK values, which is what I used to make my point.
    • Up x 3
  3. Primarkka

There's a solid difference between 0.7 ms and 0.7 s. Can you begin to guess what it is?
  4. dBMachine

I'm sure it was a typo...
  5. Salganos

This is a very interesting comparison. It's also why I don't play these (excluding the last). I've always preferred the ability to meaningfully react to my opponents, assuming they are on equal footing with me.

I've generally preferred the way the Tribes games did things (except the half-***** physics; physics is an all-or-nothing deal with me), but even then some things from there would get annoying here, since in Tribes, like most arena shooters, you don't have to work with Sunderers and hold objectives for five to ten minutes straight.

(Edit: Yes, I know the Tribes style of things doesn't translate very well without jetskis.)
    • Up x 1
  6. Glorin

I've played thousands of hours of CS/Call of Duty/Battlefield, and after playing Planetside 2 I'm really starting to prefer the longer TTK as well. It definitely raises the skill ceiling in many respects because of precisely what you said--it allows you to meaningfully react to your opponents even if you are in a bad situation.
    • Up x 2
  7. Spookydodger

One shot kills should definitely be in the game.
    • Up x 2
  8. KnightCole

The only things I feel should one shot is Tank rounds direct hitting infantry, flash and ESF, SNiper Rifle headshots and maybe Shotgun headshots that land a large enough portion of the pellets to the head.

But other weapons headshotting infantry in 1 shot and what not? No, we have compsite suits of armor on, I like PS2 and how they model that in the damage dealing in this game. Headhits are double, not insta death damage and even while I disagree with the weakness of tank guns vs INF right now, its nice to have that sorta survivability vs tank shots...but it should be lessened, tanks should be more powerful.
    • Up x 1
  9. TimeyWimey

OHK should absolutely be in this game.
  10. Ivalician

Most modern FPS games apply a headshot multiplier, the only difference is most modern FPS games are balanced around 20 - 25% damage per hit whereas Planetside is balanced more around 12.5% - 16.7% damage per hit.

As in, even in Battlefield 3 or Call or Duty, you can survive one headshot at point blank from all assault rifles.

The whole effective 900 ms TTK in Planetside is the main reason why I still play Planetside. Skilled play is highly rewarded. Headshots are much more important. Shaving off 80 ms on a kill in BF3 with a headshot makes no difference at all. Shaving off a couple hundred ms with two or three headshots in Planetside? Huge. Massive. Not only that, I feel like I can actually think during combat. It's like a fighting game. Frame advantage? Frame disadvantage. TIGER KNEE!

When I got my Orion, I feel ↓↘→ + FP.

...I was never any good at fighting games...
  11. Blarg20011

Oops, I meant to reply to your first post when I said:
    Although taking into account nanoweave TTK does exceed 700 ms in some cases.
    • Up x 1
  12. Grotpar

Well, ideally one shot kills shouldn't be in any PvP game.

It's an inherently anti-fun mechanic that really doesn't offer all too much.

I think the only reason we accept it, is because we're used to it and it "makes sense" from most sources(explosives, shotguns).

If I had my way, the game would be designed with no OHKs in mind.
    However, the current design of the game has OHKs in mind, and as a result, it probably should be in this game.

Removing any and all OHK sources would require a massive retuning of things that would previous one shot things(in particular, tanks).
    And that's just not worth it.
  13. -=0v3rkill=-

i agree with you. i hate this spray and pray gameplay to be honest. Tho I got use to it. But, I like it when games have one shot one kill weapons. I miss that from WWII games. Kar98k bolt on and the nagant russian rifle. Also the rail gun from quake games. I mean every game has them. why not this one? Now that I think about it thats one of the things that I hated about section 8. took so many bullets to kill anything it was so stupid.
  14. Mut0mb0

PS2 is one of the few games I dont really care about OHK, the respawn times are so short, dying don't really matter, as long as a sunderer is nearby ;)
    Btw I think the OHK abilities for infantry weapons is a bit overstated. except C4 which reliably kills everything in range.

- Snipers need headshots and even that isnt 100% sure -> not reliable
    - Shotguns need close range for their full potential and a bit luck all pellets hit or with slug good aim -> not reliable
    - Personal Mines are countered by flak armor -> not reliable
    - Grenade kills are pure luck, most ppl will get their distance once they see a grenade -> not reliable
    - the default Rocketlauncher is quite good for OHK, but dodging this is quite easy on most ranges -> not reliable
    - AV mana turret kills stationary infantry quite well, for the price to be the no1 target for every tank and sniper in range -> not reliable

pretty sure I forgot something, but I guess its enough paint a picture.
    even if you got the drop on someone, there isnt really a weapon that let you constantly going on killing sprees.
    In addition you need to adapt a suiting playstyle for these weapons.
    Sometimes I encounter people who pretty much **** me with certain weapons, but I never felt Im dying to someone, because he got the better weapon. They are just good with it.

About tanks, I have to agree, they are a bit weak against Inf right now. HE isnt really worth the cost anymore, its ok its useless against tanks, but right now HEAT is better against tanks and does roughly the same against inf.