Why Do Esamir/Amerish Need Lattice?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Alarox, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Patrician

Because this is PS2 and you have play it how the game is designed to be played; if you don't like playing games designed that way then don't play PS2. You do have a choice you know?
  2. TheStink

It seems you're only looking at the lattice as it functions now with it only being applied to one continents. When PS2 has Hossin and the other continents from Planetside 1 and continent locking is when the lattice system comes together. When there are many more continents in the lattice system the people moaning about being funnelled into one of the few big zergs on Indar atm when they crave a more tactical smaller fight will get their smaller fights in the lattice system at prime time, just as they were able to in PS1 lattice.

PS1 with its many continents was not one big mindless zerg under the lattice system, smaller outfits did have a place for tactics. The current state of PS2 is a result of tab target RPG MMO gamer like Higby being in charge of the creative direction of a MMOFPS and failing to even care to see why the PS1 development did things the way they did until after PS2 launched.

When PS1 was new and in its prime Higby was a hardcore Everquest player, not a true Planetside 1 player or fps gamer in general, he dabbled in PS1 at the time. Now we have to put up with his "wouldn't it be cool" and contradicting design approach for PS2; not to mention put up with time wasted on developing this Major Lame Gaming League nonsense as well within PS2.
    • Up x 2
  3. Patrician

Then maybe you should be looking at upgrading your PC rather than expecting SOE to turn PS2 into BF3side, just so you can play on your low end hardware?
  4. Patrician

^^ Nicely put!
  5. Shoza Nakh

I run much more powerful hardware than it listed in minimum requirements. i7, 8Gb RAM, GTX 660 TI is not enough, man, are you serious? It's not my fault that game have lack of optimization for big battles. In current game state it support various playstyles, lattice support only zerging, witch is boring and laggy.

This is you, who want to turn my fine PS2 variable gameplay to endless zergfest on hard rails.
    • Up x 1
  6. Eclipson

To stop these "Elite Spec OPs" squads from ghost capping territory. Its not so bad on Amerish, where combat it more directed by Terrain, but I can't stand fighting on Esimir anymore, where most of the time, there just a bunch of ghost capers driving around, trying to relive the glory days. When we get Lattice, we will finally force these people to fight, instead of forcing empires to play clean up.
  7. NccWarp9

Where does this happen exactly ? What server are you playing on ?
    finding a fight on hex is only impossible for incompetent leaders.
  8. NccWarp9

:( so sad. So sad...

There are A LOT OF THREADS ON THIS TOPIC.

To fix hex they only needed to bring back influence system and increase the number of people on the point like they had before.
    Problem fixed.

Not this lettuce crap.

Does anyone even read here ?
  9. NccWarp9

10. Playful Pony

Unfortunately it is not possible for me to comment on the situation on your particular server. I can only consider what things look like on the 3 servers I play on, and from my experience with the lattice it is NOT the big bad wolf you are making it out to be. No, it doesn't allow the smallest of groups to just drive around capping deserted facilities anymore. With the lattice, pretty much every facility has some sort of defense. This is good! The idea with Planetside 2 was "fight for every inch", but with the hex the forces were just circling eachother most of the time, capping empty bases... Any defense was pointless because the defending side had to spread their troops so thin that the attacking force ALWAYS ended up being far too large to fend off.

You say that small groups can't influence the battle, but this is simply not true. I play in a group that ranges from 3 (sometimes only 2) to 8 people, a very small band by PS2 standards, and we are perfectly capable of making our mark on a battlefield! The influence you bring no longer comes in the form of capping an adjacent facility. It is about flanking the one your main force is attacking. Setting up AT possitions further down the road, cutting off access to the base by enemy vehicles. Getting AA nests up and running to keep the Liberators away, or simply setting up an artillery possition with some tanks and shell the base from afar. There are still plenty of oportunities for smaller groups to have an impact on the battle.

Again, I can only speak for the servers I am on, but I also do encounter smaller conflicts quite frequently. 12-on-12 skirmishes still do happen with the lattice, and not uncommonly. Maybe your server is simply too heavily populated for that. And even if you can't capture a particular facility doesn't mean you can't attack it... Taking out their vehicle spawn terminals, boobytrapping it with mines and C4 or just blasting in there with a group of harassers (and do what its name implies) are all valuable tactics that will serve in delaying the enemy forces while your main force does the heavy fighting that you'd rather avoid.

The lattice hasn't killed tactics, it has forcused it. And should you get bored with a particular lane, move to a diferent one! There are actually quite a few of them.
    • Up x 1
  11. GRiMtox

No. Just no.
  12. Genocideuk

Wow, is PS2 just for the financially privileged then.
  13. Dinapuff

You can't expect a 2-3 squad outfit leader to go seek out a 48+ blob killing everything it can see on the map. Finding the zerg isn't hard, but due to lacking manpower because nobody wants to fight the blob and get farmed we resort to capping the territory behind them (aka ghostcapping). Technically WASP could outplay an entire faction for hours until we hit the territories closer to the warpgate. We did this daily, but it wasn't very fun so we welcome the lattice system. Simply because it makes everything more fun.
  14. stalkish

Lattice is here to stay and its coming to esamir and amerish and i personally cant wait. It makes the game so much better its unbelievable. Bases are defended now, attacking any outpost is a difficult challenge, outfits actively reinforce and resecure hacked bases, the tank battles are large and more fun when you can fall back behind your front line and repair, bases further back on the grid are 'safe' from hacks and ghost gen killers.
    The simple point is this is planetside, 'Bigger = Better', 'Size does matter' recognise these? you should do because they are whats pressed during adverts, to sould like a broken record if you want small squad based fights there are other games that do it better, to be honest i dont like small 8v8 fps games, even 32v32 is small and boring 64v64 is getting better, but nothing compares to seeing 20 tanks and other vehicles surrounded by 100s of footsoldiers all fighting to advance towards an entreched enemy, and at the same time seeing libs bombing and esfs straffing, combined arms on a massive scale, lattice gives us this ten times better than the hex did.
  15. VSMars

Nope, they're not. But keep believing that, it makes my usual play style on the lattice (when I bother with it) all that much funnier when I catch guys like you unaware. ;)
  16. Cinnamon

Asking if they need it is one way of phrasing it and I'm not sure to answer that but ask me if I think Amerish and Esamir would be improved by lattice and the game as a whole would be better then I would answer yes.

Ghost capping happens with the lattice but lattice is a way of limiting the effectiveness of that and not eliminating it from the game.

When lattice was released on Indar the biggest complaint was that there were no longer any fronts for squad sized forces to fight on. But now things have calmed down a little I am seeing a lot of opportunity for that on Indar. But fighting on Esamir with a squad last night it was all full on being zerged nonsense where we couldn't make much difference.

At platoon level I am hearing more complaining about esamir not having a lattice now. If there is an Esamir cont alert and we have somewhat lower population but more organisation, leaders are more likely to think that there is no point trying to play for territory on Esamir becuase the zerg will just swarm over it and cap it even if the platoon plays smarter in battles.

People who think lattice supports dumb zerg gamplay are thinking with their preconceptions and anger more than their heads in my opinion.
  17. Shoza Nakh

Just ask SOE, do they want all players who prefer 12*12 or 48*48 to leave? I like this game and I support it with my money, but I will not be forced in zergside.
  18. IamDH

People still ghostcap on those continents and lattice is simply a better system
  19. KAHR-Alpha

SOE will give you little MLG islands to play on. As for the rest of the game, it does look like you're not in the target demographics.
  20. Shoza Nakh

I'm not so sure. Now I see queue for Esamir every evening. Players like Esamir in current state, I hope SOE will take this into account.