This is how SOE nerfed the NV to death

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GRiMtox, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Bearcat

I think this was a good change; however, I am getting sick and tired of spending SC/certs on something and having it later changed to the point that I never would have purchased it in the first place.
    • Up x 3
  2. Jetlag

I wouldnt have minded if they hadnt completely nerfed the range of both NV and thermal at the same time.
    Pre GU11 thermal had a range of about 350m, now i get less then 150m on thermal for my mag guns.
    Add to that the obnoxious transition effect and im quite dissapointed. These scopes were designed for quick infantry target aquisition, what ****** thought it was a good idea to add a second delay on activating them.

Is anyone here claiming that vehicles were still OP?
    Why was this nerf needed on top of the resource nerf?

Edit: Getting either NV or thermal for your vehicle was a quality of life improvement to your gaming experience. This GU was supposed to be about improving quality of life but these nerfs have done the exact opposite.
  3. TheBillOf3D

Well... I like thermal better. Easier on the eyes. Just wasn't worth the certs before. Now I guess it is.
  4. Goden

It wouldn't be SOE if they didn't rip you off.
  5. Alkezo

Now, instead of Thermal being useless, they've made Night Vision useless. Before Thermal and NV acted far too similar with NV being cheaper. Okay, so everyone invested into NV. With the update everyone will be investing into Thermal because the current NV actually makes it harder to see, even at night. Gotta love spending 2k certs just to have the "see enemies" feature across all my vehicles again. What's sad is that most of them are for my gunner.

Tell me, why spend 50 certs on Night Vision when it makes it more difficult to see over just 1x scope?
  6. Loegi

I wasn't just talking about NV, I was talking about the whole practice. So it's really nowhere close to 50 certs. Besides, just because it's cheap doesn't mean that it doesn't matter if it's changed without refunds.
  7. Keiichi25

You obviously don't read the Terms of Service Agreement that you clicked 'yes' to when you first started playing the game.

While I can't find a link to the text verbatim in regards to the situation, the basic gist is that the user, being you, accept the fact that the game and the contents within can and will change at will based on what they consider play balance.

I believe there is also a clause in there for only a 1 time mistake refund, which they will do, but it is only one time. Is this really worth the effort to do so and later on find out it may change once again, blowing your refund chance over something that will change possibly again for balancing.

There is a reason why they put the TOS stuff at the beginning. It used to be for Everquest, they force you to answer the TOS over and over again, but they opted for the one time asking... While it is not exactly 'legally binding' they did, for the most part, inform you that by accepting this, you agreed to the conditions in which they provided this service, which means, it can change at will.

And before you call me a fanboy of SOE... The legal point will say, "You have no standing on this." While I freely admit I used NV on vehicles like this to identify targets a lot easier, even in day... Technically, this actually makes a justification to get Thermal for just that purpose. They may need to tweak it a little so that in the case of night fighting, it is a little less dark... but to be honest, it does force people in vehicles to actually use Thermal Optics if they want to find people easier without the 50 cert 'easy' fix.
  8. raumfahrer

Hey SOE, did you try the new vehicle optics on low graphics quality? Doesn't look like it.

And what is up with the flicker? You want me to die off of an epileptic fit?
  9. Bearcat

You can both agree with the TOS and still dislike changes. For example, if SOE deleted all of your characters and certs, it would be within the TOS, but I am sure most people would not like it. While we have no legal standing, customers should let SOE know when we don't like something about the game.
  10. Nocturnal7x

Nothing about it is good, nothing about it makes sense.

11. treeHamster

Won't happen because most people would just jack the gamma up to something like 1.4-1.7. Then night's would become day and there would be no change.

Gotta learn how serious gamers play. They turn all the eye candy off, then jack up the gamma to where even night looks like mid-afternoon.
  12. Stigma

You now have a distinction between NV and thermal - that part is good. I feel like NV is too murky to be useful though but that could be tweaked.

The part I am most worried about is how this impacts ESFs and other air-units. Tanks already have a fairly long range on their thermal and NV so for them thermal is now pretty much a no-brainer. For air however the range got drastically nerfed a while back and using NV was important because it gave you just a tad bit more range. Now to get the same-ish effect you ned to use thermal, and that has an even shorter range. You really have to go redicolously low to the ground now for it to have an effect.

I think NV needs to be tweaked a bit to be clearer but still not highlight enemies (it never should have in the first place honeslty), and both should get a buff to the effective range. NV seems to have gotten some more range, but thermal really ought to have the same range that NV had before in my opinion. Visibility and fast target acquisition is a really important requirement for being effective in an ESF so these changes act as an overall quite powerful nerf to those units in particular.

-Stigma
  13. Ronin Oni

I already own both IRNV and Thermal on most vehicle weapons.....

<--- Doesn't care

Actually... this might be good.... having that much longer sight range at night could be a boon
  14. Ronin Oni

Pretty sure they increased Thermal range on ESF's (200 to 300 I hear)... though they increased IRNV (300 to 500 I hear) range substantially more
  15. Grimfalcon77

Great, now ESF's will just have to learn how to instantly spam their pods at non-giant-neon-shoot-here-outlines.
  16. Stigma

I'll have to test that. i think pathcnotes only mentioned upgraded NV range? I guess its time to do some science and measure this.

-Stigma
  17. Keiichi25

You can disagree and have them return your character under the TOS. Expecting a refund on certs because of a change in the game is, however, not part of the TOS binding hold as the experience in game will always be ever evolving and you agreed to this fact.

Now deletion of a character is not part of a changing of the game on their end, either it is due to you doing it by accident, which they can recover it, or for something else, which again they can recover it. But a decision on Cert expenditure, much like when a person spends gold in Everquest, is not something they can control. If you F'ed up or something changed that devalues what you thought it was worth... They cannot adjust or fix that because then every time they make something balanced, every person would foolishly do the same thing you did.
  18. ladiesop

All Night Vision does is add a green tint. It doesn't even make night much brighter.

Explosions and smoke now obscure you. Flash weapons didn't affect vehicles anyway, so there's no change there.

I'm going to be using 1.5x zoom on my AP guns and Dalton. I'm saving up certs to put thermal on the weapons that need it the most, C75 Viper, Flash Fury (and Rocket Pods but I already bought that one).

I guess to put a positive spin on things, I know what my next cert purchases are going to be...
  19. Bearcat

You're wrong. Your character is not your property - it belongs to SOE and they can do whatever they like with it. Granted, they don't, but it is good (albeit extreme) example of the TOS.

Again, nobody but you is claiming this is a TOS issue. Players, AKA customers, are unhappy about a change and are asking for refunds.
  20. Keiichi25

Actually, I never said the character is your property. However, as a customer, and to keep the customer happy, the character is something they would try to recover to the best of their ability.

How do I know this? Use to be a Guide in Everquest. SOE Policy will be that the character will be returned to the best of their ability, however, if certain circumstances come up, it will be 'best effort'. In your belief to 'argue' this, you believe that they would go out of their way, for 'game purposes', delete a customer's character for 'change' reasons. This is a weak strawman argument.

The only time SOE will delete a character intentionally, is if the account holder was caught cheating and perma-banned for their actions. Not because of change in the game. No company out there would delete characters on customers while they are still running the game.

And again, I pointed out the fact that Cert wise, they covered themselves with the description under the TOS. It is YOU who decided to argue a false point.