How Do You Feel About ADADADADA Tactics?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jac70, Jun 16, 2013.

1. MikeyGeeMan

At some point we need to draw a line in the sand and say enough dumbing of the game down to the lowest denominator.

Why not institute auto aim while we are at it.
    • Up x 1
  2. Glorin

You people are just wrong. Test it for yourselves (I have, and I've recorded it). The hitbox remains synced with the player model at all times while strafing.

Now, the player model + hitbox absolutely warps a bit in the presence of lag. That absolutely does happen. Trying to hit players with high ping who are ADAD strafing is legitimately difficult to do. This game doesn't handle 350+ ping very well.

That said, you NEVER have to guess where the hitbox it. The hitbox is always precisely where the player model is. This works because we have client-side hit detection. If you hit the enemy player model on your screen, then the server will give you a hit. No questions asked.

If you have a problem with ADAD warping under conditions of very high latency, then you have an argument. If you are trying to say normal ADAD strafing gives people an unfair advantage because of the hitboxes, then you are wrong.

That's a video of me testing how well the hitboxes sync with the playermodel. I actaully made a macro for this video to demonstrate that it simply doesn't work. 15:30 is where we start testing hitboxes.

Once again, this ADAD macro nonsense doesn't exist. This hitbox warping nonsense does not exist. Player-model warping DOES exist.

Because of this, strafing is not the issue here; lag is.
    • Up x 4
  3. Puppy

Just like any other game unless it's something like Arma.
  4. Tasogie

you cant bunny hop, an you cant jump 2 meters side to side. hasn't happened...
    • Up x 1
  5. InMedeasRage

No, you have to suffer for the lack of multi-threading and poor optimization that makes mid-end computers such as mine suffer so horribly.
  6. illgot

just like the jumping issue was ignored for a while, this will be as well until the developers give players the same type of inertia Maxes have.

It is not about the inability to track the player, it may actually mess up the ADADers hit box like jumping around did earlier in the year.
  7. shovat

I see it more as a game problem, the tactic seems valid at the face of it but performance wise character warping tends to stand out. I would like to believe the ADAD guys I run in to during low population times are not cheating however some do move faster than others, a heavy with a LMG shouldn't be quick like a bunny. Dealing with him was a pain in the *** and there was an interesting disparity of where he was located in our group (American east coast, British, and German). His corpse fell in a completely different spot where I was shooting yet I was getting sporadic hits.

I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with strafing but there is something going on but making a complaint about what is going wrong is beyond me.

I would much rather see something done about 4th faction BS, last night I watched an ally running around in a circle next to enemy tanks and snipers trying to kill my group of 4 people basically operating as a scout. To hell with that crap.
    • Up x 2
  8. capocapone

i call it bunny hoppin....when they jump to dodge bullets...same in all fps i ever played their is always some bunny hoppin,in this game it works sometimes...but you got to make sure before you jump your sights are on him..
    • Up x 1
  9. Kevorkian

As stated before, ADAD and Bunnyhopping aren't the problem. The terrible hit box registration in this game is.
    • Up x 3
  10. TheBillOf3D

I think some defending ADAD haven't actually seen it. I hadn't either until recently. They literally are warping from left to right and back. Not just moving side to side.
    • Up x 1
  11. SgtBreastroker

You get insanely penalized for that. I see nothing wrong with people doing it. They are inevitably hopping to their demise.
  12. Kuriby

Seriously, when people complain about:

BUNNY hopping (which isn't possible anymore)
    ADADADADing
    Players moving too fast
    Low TTK

Does anyone esle feel like the majority of PS2 players are complete newbies at FPS games?
    Like seriously, PS2 has one of the SLOWEST character movement speeds. Strafing in this game is almost like standing still. The TTK in this game is higher then Quake 3 Arena. And ADADDDADing does NOT work unless players begin to teleport, which is extremely rare unless you play on a 56K Modem.

What PS2 needs is:

Faster Strafing speeds, headshots kill in 1 or 2 hits on most weapons, improved and more accurate hit boxes, faster bullet velocities, and faster regular moving speeds.

All of the above would make PS2 have a higher skill roof. Players would then actually need to AIM.
    • Up x 1
  13. Padapong

i think they should increase the cone of fire penalty for doing the harlem shake while shooting.
    • Up x 2
  14. Gustavo M

It's a gimmick that requires time to master, just like aiming and leading.
  15. that_darn_lurker

Adad is a necessary tactic. I do it because everyone else does, and weapons that have the tightest bloom and best movement modifiers are king in cqc. However, I think adadad is dumb. I'd love to see players fall over or have their COF bloom get out of control while they do this.
    • Up x 1
  16. Jachim

Obviously you're new to FPS gameplay. It's called 'strafing' and is a natural part of gameplay. Hitboxes are not server side, they are client side. The position of the enemy on your screen is where they will take damage, and if you strike them, they will die.

What isn't natural about strafing is the slight warping that occurs due to the differing pings between you, the server, and your opponent, and the speed at which people can currently move momentum back and forth, and I beleive this is something they could tune for sure.

If you remove strafing entirely, you force people to simply stand in places while firing at each other which is absurd.
    • Up x 1
  17. Degenatron

My problem with ADADAD is that it looks stupid. You'd never actually see anyone do that in real life. Why doesn't anyone do "run back and forth 4 feet while shooting" in real life? Because it doesn't net you any benefit. You can't aim properly like that and you're really just a sitting duck. Basically, it's just exploiting game code and it shows.

What they should do is encourage realistic tactics like taking a knee, ADS, and using cover.

ADAD should make your crosshairs bloom to 1/2 your screen size, and jumping should make your crosshairs bloom all the way to the edges of your screen, because that's what these actions would do to your aim in real life.
  18. smokemaker

This game is soooooo far from RL that i can not take your input seriously.
    If this game was to use your logic, then I want 1 hit kills for all weapons to the head.
    One rocket to kill a tank.
    Aircraft that rule the skies but dies to a single rocket.
    Infantry that bleed and suffer broken bodies.
    Blood.... I want red mist. lots of it.
    Dismembered limbs flying all over the place....
    artillery, nukes, and space based weapons ( its the future right?)
    No map limits.... no respawning, no ceiling.

Do not start the logic of RL....
    This is a game.
  19. Jeno

Probably because people in real-life don't have a personal shield and don't feel nothing before suddenly dropping dead at zero HP...
    • Up x 2
  20. Degenatron

Conversely:
    Why have gravity?
    Why have green grass and blue skies?
    Why have ANYTHING based in reality at all then?

By your logic, because "it's the future!" then everything should be a mix between "The Yellow Submarine" and flipping on The Improbability Drive from "A Hitch-Hickers Guide to the Universe". You make it sound as if the choices are all or nothing. Sure, there ARE some things in the game that could stand to be more realistic for the sake of conforming to players expectations, but spending six hours waiting for your avatar to bleed to death isn't one of them. The goal here is balancing common sense with FUN gameplay mechanics. Are there things like what you're talking about that I'd like to see? Sure, an AP round from any MBT should one should a harasser. That's just common sense to me.

Sorry, but ADAD overrules everything else, and it's specifically because it exploits most players lack of frame-rates. "Hey, I'm run 60FPS in this huge battle, I can ADAD all day long," is really the way the thinking boils down. It's hard to reconcile the ideal of "The thinking man's FPS" with "I just wanna run up and strafe back and forth!". To me that IS an either / or proposition, so the blunt question is "What kind of game do you want PS2 to be?"
    • Up x 1