GU011: IRNV Scopes nerf

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Konfuzfanten, Jun 14, 2013.

1. DonC

To many this is sucking or ruling.
    • Up x 1
  2. ArcKnight

listen you little pokemon, if they wanted it only to be used at night all they had to do was make sure the scope displayed everything blinding white during day time
  3. Krayus_Korianis

Honestly, I never had that problem. On any faction I play. Over distance weapons DO become inaccurate.
  4. Typhoeus

I'm guessing they are doing this because none of the other scopes are worth getting and want people using the other ones aswell. Scope sway is a deal breaker for anything under 8X that isn't mounted on a sniper rifle. Remember when they added scope sway to 6X? Made the AMR66 completely pointless again after it had just recieved a small but needed buff. Unfortunetly I think all this will do is end up with everyone who's been using the IR/NV scope just using iron sights as a result. And vanu will rule the night unopposed again woohoo!
    • Up x 2
  5. LohaMoha

Good video about the issue with IRNV, it definitely needs a nerf.
  6. DonC

Didn't a guy by the name of An hero tell you that before?

Lol, I remember when he stopped playing this game after they kept these cheesy mechanics, I also remember when he told me about it, hilarious to say the least.
  7. Lord Robert

The Idea of any 1X scope having sway is just mind numbingly stupid. IT DOES NOT MAGNIFY! Why would it sway? You want to nerf it because your numbers show its OP? Fine. But adding sway is STUPID
    • Up x 1
  8. DeltaGun

Just because it's good, is it overpowered? Everyone can use it.

I think they should reduce visibility with it further if they must nerf it. Or offer the sight on another scope without the NV effect.
  9. MrK

That's EXACTLY the problem.
    All overlay optics are immune to a lot of the movement issues the 3D scopes are not.
    Usually, the overlay models are for x4 and more, making aiming on the move at close range a liability anyway, but NOT for the IRNV. That's the central point, you can put your crosshair on target with IRNV when you cannot with any of the other 3D scopes (x3.4 and less)
    That's why it needed a nerf, the accuracy in IRNV, despite having CoF penalties, was far superior, because the scope is on target. On a non IRNV, the scope flies around when some movement are made (jetpacking, bumping into terrain, etc...), you simply CANNOT put the scope on target.

Though, I can't say that this nerf is what I'd have done, anyway. The thing is tricky to balance, since the mecanics between 3D and 2D overlay make it impossible to put both systems on par, apparently.
    Time will tell, but IRNV definitely needed a change.
    • Up x 1
  10. Krayus_Korianis

Apparently, I can't do that with my LA or by jumping... IT still goes all over.

You all must be smoking something, thinking it needs a nerf. It doesn't. What it needs is a small visibility hit... That's all. It's a 1x scope, that lets you see at night or through smoke. Because it's IR... DER.
  11. Lyel

HR/NV is without a doubt the best scope in the entire game, it highlights enemies, hides your gun model, doesn't get effected by outside movement (unlike EVERY OTHER SCOPE), and it can even see through smoke, all while having the best crosshair in the entire game.

What they need to do is not make HR/NV enter a 'scoped' phase like Sniper scopes or anything that goes beyond 4x. Instead, turn it into a camera-like screen that you look into, and will be pushed around by movement and sway. Giving it a longer time to pull out wont change it's main issue- IT DOESN'T JITTER, AND IT HIDES YOUR GUN MODEL.
  12. Werefox

I use the HR/NV for the cross hair - if it is getting changed to having sway, can we get a 1x or 2x, available to all weapons, scope with that cross hair? The Reflex scopes are what I like, but that red dot is about 2 or 3 times too large.
    • Up x 3
  13. Lyel

Don't know what on earth YOU are smoking, it's very clear that you use HR/NV on almost all your weapons, yet you're claiming it doesn't need a nerf.

Here's what HR/NV has over almost every scope in this game-

Highlights enemies at Night
    Highlights enemies at Day
    Hides your gun model
    Hides muzzle flair
    Can see through smoke
    Lowers tracer size
    Doesn't jitter
    Doesn't jump
    Has a pin-point, none cluttered crosshair
    and last but not least, it's 1x

Don't know about you, but this is literally the first thing I buy for all my weapons. It's SO damn good.
  14. lilleAllan

Right after they fixed it on low settings :(
  15. WUNDER8AR

I've got to admit, the HRNV scope has become a crutch for my play sessions for various reasons. There's ofc the numerous advantages of the scope. Add player camos that blend well with the environment, especially at night. It also helps quite a lot in situations with bad framerates, which, at least on my end, occurs more often than not. Frankly, the game wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable in many situations if I was basically forced to use a RDS instead of the HRNV.

I played with the standard 1x magnification RDSs recently to get a feel for it again. This immediately reminded me of the reasons why I started to use the HRNV in the first place. The dot is for one way too large and secondly, if you suffer from red-green color blindness such as myself, it almost always becomes incredibly hard to actually see it on the background you're aiming at. The dot blends with most surfaces except on Esamir ofc. This basically renders the standard RDSs flat out useless for me.

That said, I always failed to understand why the HRNV remains so stable while strafing and jumping. Highlighting mines doesn't really make sense either and what always bothered me the most is that it completely hides the muzzle flash while firing, which basically renders flash suppressors redundant (except for the "stealth" effect ofc lol). There needs to be some sort of adjustment no doubt. Though sway is a no-go in my book. For all I care limit the fov a bit more for instance. Or make your game a bit less of a freaking pain to enjoy for people who suffer from color blindness to start with.
  16. G3arfried

I always wonder why game devs make certain things when they will just make it useless. Why put a thermal scope in the game and then pwn it lol.
  17. Cleaver

If SOE thing this is the only downside they're wrong.
    The complete invisibility of infiltrators whilst ADSing and inability to see enemies against a backdrop of a vehicle/turret have gotten me killed a lot in the past. You've also got a very restricted field of view compared to some open-sides scopes. However in terms of the other available scopes, this probably does need a nerf.

Alternatively, we could have more interesting scopes for infantry. Vehicles only have three options, and two of them aren't a zoom. Perhaps we could have a thermal imaging scope for infantry with longer range but less clarity, for example. Just having one non-zoom optic is firstly boring, and secondly, doesn't fit in with planetside. We can bring dead people back to life in seconds but we can't see our enemies when it gets dark.
    • Up x 1
  18. MisterBond

I seriously wonder if the dev's are playing the same game we are

If this goes through, better bring VS cameo back up to purple instead of the near black it is now
    • Up x 3
  19. WUNDER8AR

You've got a good point. Though in my opinion there's already enough random accuracy penalties in the game. There's no need to add another one. It makes sense that a low magnification optic isn't exactly supposed to provide accuracy at range. The thing is we don't have accuracy at range either way due to random bullet deviation. If weapons have a random cof, in addition to recoil whch is at least managable to some degree, at least give us some accurate sights, whch is what the HRNV provided, contrary to the RDSs. Either that or make the guns a tad more accurate. Just my 2c

edit: I thnk my i key is broke lol:(
  20. Mambakiller

sway on a low range scope...i know now what game i play
    and what game i uninstall
    anyway haven't loged in a while, so may as well go ahead, mbt resources increased, sway on 1x scope...
    • Up x 2