Death of the K/D

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pella, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Cab00se187

Because it's brings a cesspool a garbage to gaming and it's only useful to games that are arena based shooters, aka competitive. PS2 is so far from competitive it's funny that they are even trying to be involved with MLG
    • Up x 3
  2. PhilDun

Oh, and the people arguing that K/D ratio unfairly represents how much an Engineer / Medic contributes to the battle..

I have news for you. A monkey could perform the task of a Medic / Engineer. Rezzing/healing people takes 0 skill. You shouldn't expect to rival decent players stat-wise
  3. SharpeShooter

bigoted much lol? You don't find it useful so no one else should? mmmm interesting. Also even though I don't find MLG interesting in the slightest the last ep was not half bad!
  4. Glorin

As the resident authority on KDR whoring, this is a fantastic change IMO.

Sure, it'll devalue the KDR stat as a measurement of skill, but who the **** cares? Sensible people will still be able to roughly judge people's skill level through stats, and more importantly, it shifts the incentives of players towards taking risks.

Granted, the same argument can be used for removing the KDR stat all together, but I'd argue that this system worked fine in BF3, so there is no reason it to think it would negatively impact gameplay here.

More medics and less heavy assaults would definitely be a good thing imo.
  5. Cab00se187

Au contraire, I'm laughing at this thread because the exact people who are raging about it are the cesspool i'm talking about. The fact they still get their precious kill but are mad that someone doesn't get the death is just funny.

Now here is the downside. There is a lot of heavy mouth breathers who play this game and are very vocal about their k/d. So vocal they need to bring it up every 15-30 seconds. Now these heavy mouth breathers usually end up rage quitting when things aren't going their way. Now can you imagine what it's going to be like with them now knowing that all they need is a rez to save their precious k/d/r? It's going to be ****.
    • Up x 1
  6. SharpeShooter

thats what I'm saying I know several people who will go CRAZY if they don't get a ress if they see a medic close to their dead corps, its simply going to cause more anger and /yell hate lol. If SOE is not going to remove K/D why change it in a way that will cause hate?
    • Up x 1
  7. K3STR3L

People actually think K/D ratio ever meant anything in this broken bug infested beta?
  8. Luighseach

Pointless Change.

My KDR will still stay the same. Yeah i die 5 times getting to the Sundy, but when I blow it up I have still probably changed the entire battle or at least hindered the enemy for at least a few more minutes.
    If I cared about my KDR I wouldn't even play this game especially since my system can't handle it, but I don't care I just state that I have bad FPS and carry on.
    This game is not like Battlefield or COD where having a good KDR actually means your helping your team. This game is about teamwork and positioning. If all you care about is KDR then in my opinion you are playing this game wrong. One medic could have a record of 1 kill to 1000 deaths and be the best medic in the game because he heals and revives turning the tide of a battle.

I do not think KDR needs to be removed yet people need to realize that KDR means nothing when you think of the bigger picture. I do decent in 1v1 situations as infantry usually netting 1 to 3 kills a life. However I also attempt battle changing things like suiciding into a Sunderer with tank mines trying to destroy it. Most of the time it takes one or two lives while other times it may take 15 lives but I will eventually get it. So if I end my session with 48 kills and 96 deaths then so be it. At least I can say that I changed the outcome of a battle for the guys that fought with me.

Edit: All though I do see this helping me out when I play medic. Instead of them respawning, they might wait to see if anyone can revive them.
    • Up x 3
  9. zib1911

I think this is going to entice the kill ****** to run with squads and use teamwork because they can get a better k/d. I think its a wonderful idea, lets get more teamwork oriented things in game ASAP! I love it!
  10. zib1911

It means they know the good place to park the prowler, or where to lib at, its pointless man. The best infantry fighters will have way less k/ds then people who log to keep good k/ds or the ones that just focus on that no matter what tactical objectives need to be taken. If those are the people in your outfit, which I have no idea who you are. I am glad your not on my server.
  11. AmazingBob

This is nice, I like this.
  12. Ashnal

Does this also erase the kill from the attackers K/D as well?
    Otherwise it breaks the metric as a zero sum system. Normally, you can assume the K/D distribution is averaged at 1.0 because for every kill there is a death. But with this change, if the attacker gets to keep the kill recorded, you end up with a inflated average K/D because there will be many more kills without a matching death. That would make this metric even more useless as a comparative statistic and reduce its worth solely to personal growth statistic.

This is coming from someone who doesn't care about stats much, but thinks this change is stupid from a statistical system standpoint.
  13. Phrygen

i didnt even think about that.

Ok now this is officially stupid
  14. xboxerdude

People who look up my stats have commented on how I must suck since I have only 2.3 k/d with hacksaw max, It's cause I don't care about the K/D its all about being effective and changing the landscape of the battlefield, which I believe I do from time to time on mattherson.
  15. Epic High Five

Here lies KDR

peperony and chease
    • Up x 1
  16. simmi1717

Whoever found K/D as a good measure of a player anyways? I find score/hour a much better measure of how good a player is in this game.
  17. Ronin Oni

LOL @ people ever thinking K/D ever mattered in this game in the first place.

In any case, I agree. Makes people actually want to accept revives keeping them on the line instead of just respawning 100m back at the sundy with full ammo.

Less downtime,
    More points for Engies,
    what's the downside?

Oh, K/D "means less" now? pfffft... considering all the methods one can farm K/D if they really wanted to, and that support players all have terrible K/D's, I don't see how it ever mattered in the first place
  18. Tasogie

Perfectly stated, this is exactly what happens because of kdr.
    • Up x 1
  19. TheBillOf3D

0/10. A monkey could sacrifice their own KD to boost your all so important stat. But why should they? Make them all choose heavy assault and maxes and spam camp points for KD. Then they are just as 'useful'.
  20. Zorlox

anything that'll give stat ****** a reason to actually take a risk in a video game is a change that gets my approval.