Flight Ceiling needs a raising

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by IamnotAmazing, Jun 13, 2013.

1. IamnotAmazing

With the whole infantry vs infantry cry that people have been having ( which makes no sense that is the point of having a massive war that you have to take everything into consideration) but anyway I fly and that is all I do. I have noticed that flak seems to interrupt dogfights quite a bit and I never ground pound, so if there are going to be infantry only zones there should be a2a zones also. This could be solved by raising the flight ceiling, or lowering the render distance or range of flak( probably the first option). Currently the flight ceiling has flak shooting at air craft, and when dog fighting there are situations when your plane will not move, fire, or stop firing for some reason. This change will be good for everyone and I think that if there are infantry only zones there should be a2a zones also.

Thanks for reading put in suggestions if you would like or provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and please don't say anything about rocket pods.
    • Up x 2
  2. jdono67894

I would say this is a good idea, if not for ROCKET PODS.
  3. FigM

As ESF pilot, I don't really see how raising flight ceiling is going to help. The only thing that bothers me about flight ceiling is that you hit it like a padded wall. If you hit it while dogfighting, it puts you in serious disadvantage. Flight ceiling should have been implemented like map borders - allow people to go beyond the borders and give 9 seconds warning to get out or die.

I am in favor of limiting AA effective range. Their power extends too far now, especially in open areas. They should have damage fall off with distance.

And the main problem with ground anti-air missiles is just the Striker. Other missiles are ok, but Striker is ridiculous. It should have never even existed, should have been laser guided missiles like Fractures
  4. Mr_Giggles

Especially on Indar. Flight ceiling is actually lower than the other continents because of the higher terrain.
  5. Terrarion

I concur.. as a side note id also like a floating base just below ceiling above respective wg where we can spawn/ get ammo. prevents burster locking, stalking esf and having to climb for various aircrafts.
  6. Eclipson

No, mainly because libs and esfs would just hang up there to far for AA to really be able to deal with them. If you fly above 500m you can avoid the Striker as a lib pretty well.
  7. IamnotAmazing

I have also noticed that when an esf comes below you somehow the **** hit detection says you rammed each other
  8. Kapernum

It's going to help by allowing dogfights without interruption from ground. It will promote large ESF squad vs squad fights.

A max projectile travel distance can easily be set on the Lib guns, if it isn't already.

Raising the flight ceiling is a natural step to evolve the airgame.
  9. SgtBreastroker

I want to destroy my computer when I'm flying at roof ceiling above Mesa Skydock and people can still lock onto me/hit me with AA. :(
  10. GSZenith

how do you get hit at flight cealing in an esf? i really wanna know how? afk watching movie while holding lolhover?:rolleyes:
  11. Kapernum

The window for us to fight between Burster range and flight ceiling is incredibly small. And fighting at flight ceiling isn't fun at all because of how the current mechanics works.
  12. IamnotAmazing

you clearly have never flown with flak and enemy esf's
  13. Van Dax

I'm pretty sure its an engine limitation, not something that can easily be changed.
  14. GSZenith

not at sky cealing, or you mean that 1 hit from 1 lucky guy, yeah 1 flak will instant kill you :rolleyes:
  15. CptFirelord

He said Constructive criticism, not ignorance.
    I support raising the flight ceiling.. 1,000 meter is barely any height at all. Either that, or reduce the effective range of flak. Make flak "despawn" if you will past 300m, keeping it viable for taking out that pesky Lib or ESF that's bugging your base, or for shooting at a passing galaxy. The current problem with the flight ceiling is that there is less room to maneuver depending on what you're flying over. Take the South East Indar warpgate. Let's say you're flying on the elevated part. That's at, what, 300-400m high already? That leaves only 600-700m in which ESF/Libs can fly, and flak hits you all the way up to the flight ceiling anyway..
    TL;DR Flight ceiling needs to be raised, or, Bursters/Flak needs a nerf (finally).
  16. FigM

When enemy ESF decides he's at disadvantage, he will dive to get under friendly AA cover. Any decent sized sky battle is going to get close to the ground pretty fast, no matter how high up it starts
  17. Tommyp2006

I agree, in fact, I would have no problem with doubling the flight ceiling. You could even sort of separate the areas by adding sporadic cloud over around 1000m that would help obscure you from ground forces.
  18. The Shermanator

I wouldn't mind if there was a certain altitude in which AA guns could not reach, so that ESFs and Liberators could get to a battle without having to worry about lockons and flak. However, it would be prime space for ambushing and ESF dogfights. Maybe a layer of cloud cover to help distinguish it visually.

But to actually engage ground targets, it should be mandatory that they be forced to enter the danger zone. It's only fair.
  19. IamnotAmazing

no tons of flak can still hit you don't know this because you clearly never fly now stop talking on something you don't know about
  20. Brusilov [TR]

If it were possible to raise, without causing problems with overall performance... i would say keep raising it as high as it can go!!! Unfortunately, i think that they came to a decision on 1000m after deliberation on the performance impact or something similar.

I agree that the loss of control of your aircraft if you hit the flight ceiling is a pretty clumsy way of enforcing it. Sure,it teaches pilots to consider their altitude, but at the same time... it's frustrating and immersion breaking.

Perhaps instead, as you get closer to the flight ceiling a gradual loss of aircraft maneuverability as the atmosphere gets too thin to provide proper thrust from the maneuvering jets or passing over control surfaces.
    • Up x 1