Should being revived count as a death?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eyeklops, Jun 13, 2013.

1. TallPaul_S

Being revived not counting as a death is a good thing.

Think of the many, many times, you've been revived by someone only to get shot 1 second later and killed again, rinse and repeat 3 or 4 times in a row. You end up not accepting any revive because, well, you may as well just respawn - there's no plus side of getting revived, apart from not having to run 100m into the battle again.

You die from so many different things in this game, it really isn't going to hurt having this change. If anything, it will make people wait a little longer for a revive instead of just hitting respawn, this should make for better attacks as people aren't having to run into battle from the the sundy that's parked 200m away. Will make the medics job a little easier too, no running around trying to revive guys only for their corpse to disappear mid-revive.

BF3 is another game where revives subtract a death, and in that you're revived with full health and in a split second. in PS2 you get revived at half health (no shields) at most, and it takes a few seconds to revive someone.

Awesome change, has taken too long to implemented.
  2. Bearcat

I think it's a great idea. If you kill someone and they are revived right away, you accomplished nothing deserving of a stat. Also, it will entice people to wait for a revive.
  3. HannaDest

Sadly it will lead to people INSISTING on a revive.
  4. Eyeklops

I agree, which is why I found the change on the test server to be quite odd. However, since it's on the test server, this discussion still has some reason to exist. :) <3
  5. Bearcat

I'm happy to oblige =)
  6. ReconMarauder

In Battlefield, deaths meant tickets that you had lost your team, which made sense on the scoreboard at the end of the match summarizing the performance of players. In PlanetSide, there are an infinite number of respawns, and instead deaths signify your defeat at the hands of an enemy. Even if you are revived, it does not change the fact that your health reached zero, which is a failure state.
    • Up x 2
  7. Eyeklops

#MLG brah. Now PS2 48vs48 MLG matches can have refundable death tickets.
  8. Stride

If you die then whatever happens after is irrelevant. You died.

Revival is merely tool which gives players an additional respawn location after they have Died. If you die then you died and statistics registering that is nothing short of accurate.
    • Up x 1
  9. Nocturnal7x

it does. People would be more willing to take a revive if it would help the/not count against them if they die instantly again.
  10. Stride

I disagree. If you die as a result of the location of revival then that should count as a death because the player made conscious decision to spawn and should suffer whatever consequences result in the revival be it good or bad. Players should not be encouraged to revive into bad situations merely to preserve statistics which mean less than nothing.
    • Up x 2
  11. SpcFarlen

But that only effects KDR, you can still get revived again. My point of does it matter, is that removing the death stat penalty doesnt really change gameplay in any meaningful way... unless of course you are one of those people that cares about their precious KDR, not because of what it actually represents (combat effectiveness) but because you want a large number.

If i get a revive notification, i use it. Regardless if i know ill get downed instantly or not because suddenly the enemy has to worry about one person. People really care way too much about stats than what a simple thing like an extra body on the battlefield actually does.
    • Up x 1
  12. Eyeklops

Good discussion going on in here.
  13. Wintermaulz

They changed this on the PTS. Getting rezzed no longer counts as dieing
    Other Fixes and Improvements

• Added visual effects when a player ejects from an air vehicle (using ejection system certification) or drops from a Galaxy to call out they are falling safely
    • Pulled third person camera of MBTs and Lightnings out about 1 meter
    • Ammo Towers should properly render in the VR training zone
    • Cosmetic items for infantry and vehicles are now accessible in the VR zone
    • Zealot Overdrive distortion FX have been reduced to one quarter of their previous size
    • Region Names will display when mousing over a waypoint HUD indicator
    • Experience reward text will still appear, even when an experience threshold has been hit
    • Revives remove the death stat received
  14. TallPaul_S

Well, I disagree. If I die in a battle, and get revived 10 seconds later, I have no idea what lies in wait for me when I come back to life. Of course I can reject the revive, but I don't make a conscious decision to be revived, only whether or not to accept the revive.

The only time you make a conscious decision of where to spawn is on a full respawn. When you're revived, it's the decision of the medic as to whether it's a safe revive and whether the player they're reviving is likely to live more than a few seconds. More often than not, medics revive players in stupid locations, and when they die 2 seconds later, they revive them again, and again. The player accepts because the only other option may be to spawn in 500m away. That's not the players fault, it's the medics fault for being stupid, yet the medic is rewarded with several hundred xp, and the player being revived is rewarded with several deaths added to his stats.

If you forget statistics, the way this will help gameplay makes if a worthy addition. All the statistics thing does, is encourage players to accept more revives. This will affect gameplay in a good way, it'll make players more likely to push out of spawns, and not to sit inside protecting their KD, it'll keep people on the front line, not running from spawns 100/200/300m away, which will in turn allow for better infantry pushes and better attacks.

Anyway, from the change on the PTS, it's coming. Which A LOT of people will love. Awesome change, thank you SOE. :)
    • Up x 1
  15. Ashnal

Hes sighing at the fact that you care enough about the K/D statistic to let it alter the way you play the game.
  16. ent|ty

No, because you were revived ,
    big difference from resurrected

Technically you have fallen on the battlefield and not dead, until you commit to a redeploy.

Who cares about your 'death stat mechanic'. Please learn the meaning of words, and true understanding will come to you.

Since, it is a revive, why would it cost you a 'death'.

Sigh..
  17. Eyeklops

Wow...just wow. You seem agitated over some simple terminology swag...

This thread was intended to be a healthy discussion on the recent test server changes in regards to how the death stat is tracked, no reason to get upset about it. Isn't there a "mag vs clip" thread running around somewhere that needs your attention too?
  18. Pella

Made another thead, Didnt see this one.

But a video for you guys.

Removing K/D is game changing to say the least. Im all for it though,
  19. redshirt

I'm kinda meh about it either way. But one thing it might help with people who want to protect their holy k/d ratio and wont push when the time calls for it.... well maybe... it might be worth while putting in 3rd stat into the k/d ratio k/d/r ?
  20. rizzoid

Return of the medic to top spot on the classes played list with massive revive trains. It was a bad decision in Battlefield 3 and it's a bad decision here.