FOV higher then 75

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eclipson, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Eclipson

I bealive the max FoV you can have in this game is around 75? Will there ever be a time when we can increase this further. I really like playing with my FOV around 80 or 90. I don't see why its locked at 75. There is a program called PS2FOV that I have been tempted to try, but I defiantly don't want to risk getting banned for 3rd party programs, and I am really trying to hold out for SOE to give us the option to increase are FOV. Since it already been done in a 3rd party program, its pretty clear that it is possible. Why have you guys not made it an option?
    • Up x 2
  2. insane2170

open the useroptions.ini file and test it out by changing the value.

I am not sure if it works or not.
  3. Eclipson

Doesn't work sorrowfully, I tried this a while back. The game just won't let you increase the FOV past 75 unless you use 3rd party programs, and i'm not risking getting banned.
  4. Ultramarine

It may be like why they put limits on sensitivity in some competitive games. More FOV means you see more, which gives you a competitive advantage. Make it too high and its not fair to people who have trouble seeing with a different FOV. Maybe it's something like that
    • Up x 1
  5. DjUnicorn

Before GU7 we could set it up as high as 100 but sadly they locked it to 75 after.

That is no reason at all, one player can have 3 monitors and he will also see more, giving him more competitive advantage.
    • Up x 2
  6. Littleman

A higher FoV has the drawback of turning people that are actually close by into specs on the horizon. Yeah, you get more peripheral vision, but what was 15m can feel like a 50m with too high a setting.

A FoV of 47 is like a permanent 2x zoom compared to 74. I think SOE picked these numbers as the extremes partly for this reason.

Your sig is why I'm abandoning Mattherson for Connery with my VS on Waterson (they need the numbers.)
    • Up x 1
  7. ThundaHawkPS

it's capped
  8. DjUnicorn

Balance, gotta love it, right?

And I hate this guy.
  9. IamDH

Why do we progress backwards?:eek:
  10. thrikerr

Seems like a step in the right direction to me.
  11. Jagdwyre

When people talk about FOV they really need to take into consideration of whether they are talking about Vertical or Horizontal FOV, and which value the game in question is using. Just saying.
    • Up x 2
  12. Pikachu

Months ago it did actually work to increase it further than 75. :O It had the strange bi effect of making you able to see through walls near the edge of the screen and such. Anyway 75 is silly low. 90 should be a freaking default minimum in games.
    • Up x 3
  13. Oreo202

It is VERY clear in the options that the game uses VERTICAL FoV.
  14. DjUnicorn

Because they cant charge us for a higher FOV.
  15. thrikerr

Vertical FOV and Horizontal FOV are completely different things, friend.
  16. IamDH

Haha lol
  17. StuntPoteten

Consoledevelopers started with it to be able to meet peoples expectations of ever better graphics on the same crappy hardware.
    Lower fov and bigger weapon models gives higher FPS.

It's cheating and dishonest to have FOV 54 (?) as default, it's like moving around with blinders. FOV90 should be default
    • Up x 1
  18. phreec

I used to run 110 h-FoV in BC2 and that was when I had a 16:10 monitor. The current 74 v-FoV limit is a bit too restrictive IMO.

You also sit in front of a TV and not a monitor when console gaming so that narrow FoV isn't as obvious in most cases.
  19. Naceo

Indeed. In game is set in vertical FOV so 75 vertical = ~106 Horizontal on a 1080P resolution. Maybe a tad restrictive for those who like it 120+.
    • Up x 1
  20. Pikachu

Maybe there will be an implant that increases FOV. And implants will be SC only. ;)
    • Up x 1