Tank shells don't come out of barrels....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Puppy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Hauser

I guess I'm an old fart, but I like the notion of at least some degree of realism in a game.

This is just a dumb, lazy solution that causes confusion. And defies realism/common sense.

Please revert, and do some redesign on the specific weapons that suffer from the problem instead.
    • Up x 6
  2. XCharlie

When I first discovered the gun-camera offsets, I thought, oh that makes sense, the gun is on the left, after all (on the Prowler and Spear). I learned to adjust, and it became a fun mini-game in itself in how to position the tank and shoot. Not once did I even think of demanding a redesign so that the barrels would obstruct my view or that the camera would shoot tank shells. Dealing with design issues is a part of real life, and it adds realism to a game.

A game needs certain realistic aspects (like tank shells coming out of barrels, not cameras) so that there can be a suspension of disbelief. Without a suspension of disbelief, the game is not as fun.

As a Prowler driver, I've shot a fair number of rocks, usually after anchoring. And yes, having to re-anchor in the middle of a brawl is frustrating and often deadly, but I only ever blamed myself, not the game designers. I'm the one who lined up those shots with the barrels in front of a rock. It's not like I couldn't see those barrels over on the left. Because the camera now shoots the real invisible shells and the barrels shoot the fake visible shells, some tanks appear to be shooting through walls and terrain. Should this be considered a new legit tactic or an exploit?
    • Up x 2
  3. KlyptoK

I thought it was ok since It allowed me to fire while covered more but it turns out this change was horrible. My biggest gripe with this nonsense is you can't eyeball your shots anymore.

The visible projectile is not where the actual invisible one is. You might see your shell fly right though the target and not count as a hit because the actual shell was a meter to the left. You are left playing this crazy guessing game trying to line up shots.

It was a lot easier before.
    • Up x 5
  4. XCharlie

I noticed the same thing last night. The Prowler appeared to be still firing to the left of the sights at closer ranges. The real shell coming out of the camera is actually invisible. When firing at long ranges, the fake visible shell appears to veer to the right to join up with the real invisible shell which is flying straight. I assume that is why at long ranges my heat gun appears to be firing curve balls.
  5. Wezdor

How about we all abuse this "feature" as much as is possible so that enough people will start to complain and they are forced to revert it? That way it's a win-win.
  6. Haruk

Is the libs tankbuster still offset? It's fun to get close to turrets and aim way above them to destroy them in one magazine. I'm serious.:)
  7. Endlos

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fixing glaring issues with the game's design that should have never made it to "live" status in the first place, let alone left entirely broken for 6 months of live.

Problem is, SOE took the sloppiest, laziest, most lackadaisical route to fixing it. SOE could have:

A) Moved the camera closer to and centered over/under the weapons
    B) Moved the weapons to be closer to the camera, and centered with it
    C) Laughed and said, "That's work for real game developers" and just magically make the rounds exit the camera regardless of the vehicle's design or layout

There are all kinds of similar stupid corner-cuts or outright bad code in this game. My rifle grenades still launch from what I assume to be my crotch area because they pelt friendlies in the head all the time even when I'm clearly aiming over them.
    • Up x 2
  8. DramaticExit

The issue was a parallax problem when aiming at targets silhouetted against the sky. The game automatically adjusts for parallax issues when the target has terrain around it for the gun to "aim" at and adjust appropriately for range... But it cannot do that if the centre of the tank's optic is pointing at the sky (as it would when aiming a long way above something to compensate for drop).

A better solution would have been one of the following...

1. Place the camera directly above the barrel of the tank gun, minimising but not eliminiating the parallax issue... At the very least making it vertical rather than horiztonal.
    2. Giving the tank optics a range finder, and appropriate parallax adjustment markings so the player could deal with it manually, while removing the automatic parallax adjustment, making the round always fire parallel to the centre of the optic.

The second would probably have been the better option. I think having proper range markings for drop and parallax would be a good thing. More information is generally better, particularly if you have to make sense of it yourself, and adjust manually. This means that you never rely on an educated "close enough" guess, but rather instead have to work a little to land your hit.
  9. Fned

I'm pretty sure it didn't actually do that for tanks and spear turrets. Even when aiming at targets below you, the best way to direct-hit infantry with those weapons was to adjust for the offset.
    • Up x 1
  10. Tasogie

quick NERF CAMERA"S!!!
    • Up x 1
  11. Bill Hicks

My fave part is that you get hit by a tank shell when you are below the tank and there is no way the turret can fire that low
  12. malden

Got to say it is nice not to ground 1 out of 4 magshots because the barrel is 5 inches from the ground.
  13. DonC

Hmm, so people actually aim with barrels? they should allow the option to remove crosshairs if that would be the case, oh wait, there isn't any, I find it funny that people have actually adapted to broken stuff.

Buy more stuff and have them remodel the stuff!
  14. DonC

And now you found the real problem.
  15. Zotamedu

Yes this was a silly change. I really dislike how the shells from Phalanx turrets now arc in the air. It was not that hard to compensate for the gun not being exactly in front of you. It took a little while to get used to and then it wasn't a problem any more.
    • Up x 1
  16. DramaticExit

It did... I spent a bit of time testing it. I'd upload videos of it which give an explanation of how it was... But I finished editing it the day the "fix" came out, so decided not to bother with the upload. It's rather academic now, and not really relevant.
  17. IamDH

What why are you all against this?
    I've only seen ONE person exploit it since the patch
    Yes it feels cheesy, people wont quit tho..