New effect for EMP grenades

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Epicstrat, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Epicstrat

Since game update 10, there is a new effect when you get hit by an EMP grenade, here is a video:

<>

There's some green flickering around the edges of the screen. Pretty cool looking if you ask me.
  2. AnuErebus

Wow, good thing I saw this, they made the EMP effect way less useful. Prior to the update it almost completely obscured your screen. It's just a minor inconvenience now.
    • Up x 3
  3. Amouris

Wow wtf, did EMPs really need a nerf?
    • Up x 2
  4. repairtool6

whyyy??

:(
    • Up x 1
  5. OldMaster80

I don't think this is going to change my game so much.
    Instead I have a question: they took time to change the graphic effect of the EMP.... why don't take the time to fix the Decoy Grenades? They're absolutely the most useless item I've ever seen: 150 certs thrown away.
    Decoy Grenades need to make a red dot to appear on enemies minimap, otherwise they're just garbage! A grenade causing just a pistol sound is ridicolous! :mad:
    • Up x 4
  6. Rec0n412

Because SOE is are experts at prioritizing.
    • Up x 2
  7. Karbine-Mthersn

Why was this nerf necessary?
    The disorienting effect the EMP's had before GU10 was in my opinion the best thing about the grenades. It was one of the FEW things that I had in my arsenal besides the radar darts that actually seemed to grant the CQC Infiltrator some group utility, as tossing EMPs into a room of enemies before allies move in felt as though it really had an impact on their ability to defend that area, if only temporarily. Now all they're good for is lowering enemy shields for a few seconds? Using a grenade bandolier with the EMPs before the update was very situational, but still effective. It was a good thing to have in heavily contested close quarter facilities. But now I honestly feel like I wasted 600 certs on the bandolier, and I don't see myself slotting it over flak or NW5 in any given situation, it simply does not have the same advantage it had before given that EMP grenades have lost much of their utility. In my opinion this is completely ironic, considering that group utility is the one thing that almost everyone can agree the Infiltrator severely lacks.
    • Up x 5
  8. Takoita

IMHO, this is bad. The EMP effect one got in the center of the explosion prior to this update was boss.
  9. exLupo

My guess is because it was like a Flashbang but better so, instead of making Flashbangs worth anything, they nerfed EMP. I get it, role overlap, that's fine. And, really, an EMP still softens up a room amazingly well before a crash. They just don't cause the same chaos and havoc as before.
    • Up x 2
  10. repairtool6

Yeah majority of the time you use it simply for the armor-debuff and kill you victims easy. This still works.
    But sometimes you would use the emp just to escape/run away, and this looks harder now.

Just a bit worse escape-tool than earlier, so im sad about that
  11. Plague Rat

So long as it still strips shields, removes HUDs, and remains at a nice 50 infantry resources a pop, they could replace the graphic entirely with Higby popping in from the corner of the screen and yell "Nanites!" a la the Mortal Kombat 'Toasty' man.

Though personally I never found the old graphic to be it be terribly obstructive even from the core of the blast, but I guess people will react differently.

What I DO like about the new graphic was that despite the actual HUD damage direction indicators, there would still be a red aura on the screen edges from the direction you took damage, which is now harder to notice with the new set-up.
  12. Marinealver

:eek: Ooh- it is the Call of Duty EMP see-through static snow!

Wonder how much closer they can get this game to Bf3/CoD,:rolleyes: wait there is the multiport coming soon.
  13. ArcKnight

what the hell is wrong with you SOE, are you doing this on purpose, do you enjoy tormenting us, do you get some kind of satisfaction from turning useful weapons into garbage
  14. Plague Rat

After playing with it for a bit the new effect is a 100% deal. The static is the same no matter where you are in the blast, whereas with the old effect you only got a level of static that even came close to being disruptive if you were within a meter or two of the blast center, and for more than half of the radius the old static wasn't even noticable.

Which means by changing the graphic and making the effect a constant, as the primary effects weren't proxy based either. By changing it this way they were able to cut a secondary range check out of the the weapon that existed entirely for the tertiary graphical effect. They've been doing this for the past few GU's with other grenades as well (flash and concussion) either making it's effect entirely proxy, or entirely static rather than half and half.

It actually seems to take my targets LONGER to track me after the change. Also the new effect seems less likely to be a trigger for an epileptic episode. I've seen graphical effects changed for less in past games.
    • Up x 1
  15. Wayfar

Maybe only because it is a new effect they are staring at for the first time.
  16. RoMoronik666

This is sooooooo rubbish!!!
  17. OldMaster

Hey bro! I think decoy grenades should also create an holographic image of an enemy or something like that.
    • Up x 1
  18. Amouris

What would have been really cool is to have the grenade create that holographic image but also have it run in the direction the grenade was thrown. Thing would do a bee line in that direction and would vanish after getting hit by a couple bullets. Would have made the grenade a great asset for the Infiltrator while giving us something unique.
  19. Karbine-Mthersn

First of all, the old static effect had a much larger radius than just a couple of meters. Several times I have thrown an EMP clear across a room and hit the far wall, yet still been hit with the static effect and forced to slip away because I couldn't see a thing. Secondly, the new static effect is a joke. Any competent player that is hit with the new effect can clearly ADS or position themselves to counter an offensive push, which is a far cry from what the old EMPs did to players.
  20. Karbine-Mthersn

First of all, the old static effect had a much larger radius than just a couple of meters. Several times I have thrown an EMP clear across a room and hit the far wall, yet still been hit with the static effect and forced to slip away because I couldn't see a thing. Secondly, the new static effect is a joke. Any competent player that is hit with the new effect can clearly ADS or position themselves to counter an offensive push, which is a far cry from what the old EMPs did to players.