What sacrifices has PS2 made to cater to PlayStation 4?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chiss, May 10, 2013.

1. Takoita

Am I the only one who thinks that trying to fit a FPS on a console is just ********?
    • Up x 1
  2. Tasogie

hopefully no concessions will be made, consoles are far to under powered an controlled. We shouldn't be made to suffer because those Piles of junk cant run things properly.... (yes I hate consoles). Not to mention the fact that console gamers are the rudest ferals an most hate spewing idiots on planet (not all) :)
    • Up x 1
  3. Tasogie

please dont try an tell us consoles can equal PC's you will be laughed out of the forums by anyone that actually knows.
  4. Pivke

what??? thats like unplayable for a multiplayer shooter game!
    when i go to big biolab or amp station fight i get 30fps, cant hit anything anymore with a gun.
    maybe 30fps is ok for single player story mode shooter game?
  5. SadButTrue

DirectX 9 is usually blamed for the poor single core performance of PS2. The PS4 uses OpenGL. Here's hoping they port the PC version to it as well.
    • Up x 1
  6. Vanon

I doubt any concessions will be made. I'm pretty sure it was devolped with console play in mind in the first place. I know many people are saying that the controller vs keyboard will be a big deal, however i can attest it wont be. I fly using an Xbox 360 controller. I use to run the whole game, menu selections and all, with the controller, however because of the chat i switched to KB for anything on the ground.

As for having to dumb down the graphics or whatnot, all they would do is find the optimal system settings for PS4 and set all the settings the same.
  7. Goretzu

Yeah I think the inventory changes show that they always intended it to be a PS4 game, with the PC version being a beta for it.
  8. Larington

Umm, NO, I don't think classes or the limited inventory/loadout system were used to cater to console gamers*, what's more interesting is, any of you tried the hold-down-Q menu on other players? That feels SUPER AWKWARD on mouse and keyboard but having used similar systems in Mass Effect and so on I'm pretty sure it's fine or even good when you're using a thumbstick.

*I may be mistaken, but I think the class based pull anything at a moments notice mechanic is in for two reasons:
    1. It's a design trend, for reasons like ease of use and all that stuff the early gamers and 'give me greater choice' players hate to the ends of the earth.+
    2. If you're limited in what you can pull at a moments notice, you're limited in what you might spend station cash on. So we ended up with a pull-any-class-or-vehicle-NOW based system to increase the chance they make money off of us.

+Fact is, in Planetside 1 we were spoiled. A multiplayer game that allowed you to fully customise your loadout for multiple purposes? That's super rare these days, it's like designers are afraid to give us a wide variety of choices unless it's specifically for a single player or co-op sandbox game.
    • Up x 1
  9. TintaBux

You can't compare hardware directly from consoles to PC. The hardware is more optimized to run games more effectively. They won't need to reduce the quality ,if anything they will increase it.
  10. Larington

As an aside, I think one of the things that killed the latest Aliens game was the decision to develop it for console controllers. That slow gliding movement on the gamepad doesn't exactly lend itself to a chaotic fear inspiring game experience where you need to be firing in almost any direction at a split-second moments notice and almost certainly forced the developers to neuter the movement of the aliens so the console gamers could actually kill anything.

You look at the movement of the guns on the people in an Aliens film and you'll see them having to snap the aim about as the aliens charge down them - Impossible on a gamepad.
  11. TintaBux

That 30fps on a console is like 60fps on a PC. Consoles run technically different than PC's, they are far more optimized and technically run better.
  12. Kevorkian

This thread has been mildly entertaining. Not just for the misinformation plaguing it, but the assumption that PC players will be playing on the same servers as PS4 players.
  13. Larington

Well, either way, E3 is next week June 11th-13th, we'll probably find out more at Sony's press conference (Most probably live streamed like in previous years)... Heck, we might even get to see Hossin but I wouldn't hold my breath - Might get held onto even longer for gaming magazine & website first-look reveals.
  14. ohmikkie

Thank you. Coming from a MAG vet.
  15. Van Dax

its 30 fps with no real stuttering, but yeah games like halo 3 (Wikipedia's example)are locked at 30 fps.
  16. Grotpar

No, you're not.

But FPS are, for some random reason, popular on the Xbox.
  17. ThalonGauss

In the past games like this have been cross platform, I can't recall a name but there has been a few I have played.
    The PS4 will be compatible with keyboard/mouse via USB or Bluetooth.
    Also the PS4 has an 8 core AMD and 12 or 16 gb of ram, forgot the card specs but it should be pretty good considering that.
  18. Jex =TE=

So PS2 isn't as rich as PS1 because they need to make it stupid for console gamers?
    • Up x 1
  19. Sifer2

I gave SOE the benefit of the doubt. But deep down I did always suspected the game was being made with consoles in mind. I think the TC is spot on about the inventory being designed for gamepads.

The sad thing is we will never really know what the full range of sacrifices they made or will make in the future to insure the PS4 can handle this game are. Especially as the years pass. I had high hopes of this game evolving in the years to come as PC tech got better. Those hopes just got shot to hell. Very very sad day for me.
    • Up x 1
  20. SgtScum

Wow, ten pages of near total ignorance..

I can see this is going to be a hot 'topic' for a while due to the shear trollability of it.
    • Up x 1