What is the point in playing as infantry?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by S1eB, Jun 5, 2013.

1. S1eB

Can anyone answer this because lately i'm finding it hard to find an answer.
    The game is full of mindless morons who just want to hide away behind their tanks, aircraft and MAXs.

And the little non veichle action is spoiled by the overuse of shotguns and MAXs

Roll on base domes, can't wait untill people have to actually get out of their comfort zones and fight for a change instead of just clicking left mouse button to obtain multi kill.
  2. haldolium

sounds like you got killed by vehicles...
    • Up x 1
  3. gigastar

Well in about GU06 or so, vehicles became unable to flip capture points. So theres that.
    • Up x 3
  4. ih8Darian

Anti armor and anti air are words this guy never heard of.
  5. S1eB

Yep, just like everyone else.

I have heard of them... there is no stopping the masses of armour, no matter what you do.

Lets not bury out head in the sand and make like infantry gameplay is nothing but getting blown up over and over again because we all know that is exactly what it is.

Say what you want, but you kn ow it's true.
    • Up x 1
  6. ih8Darian

Play on Amerish/Esamir like me then. Boom. Problem solved (unless alert)

I feel you about the super tanks zergs of Indar, that wasn't fun at all.
  7. Ashnal

The point in playing infantry is to capture bases. Vehicles and Max units are unable to capture bases, which is the main objective of the game. Infantry are the lifeblood of battle, while vehicles and Max units are there to support them.

Also, the base domes won't get people out of their tanks and aircraft. I for one will still be tanking outside of the bases while the footzerg fights inside, simply because I find working together in a 2/2 tank to be much more fun than infantry combat.
    • Up x 1
  8. WyrdHarper

Literally every infantry class in this game other than infiltrators has an AV option that is equally as effective or more effective than vehicle AV options. Rocket launchers, C4,AV turret, ATmines,etc; or you can pul your own vehicle. They can't cap points and can easily be denied by MAXes or heavies, or turrets. For their cost they are relatively squishy. If you're getting steamrolled by armor, the problem is more likely numbers than vehicles.
  9. Xasapis

Are we talking about the same vehicles that are basically exp pinatas for infantry these days?
    • Up x 5
  10. smokemaker

My K/D and SPM has damn near doubled since i started playing on the ground instead of flying. This might be more of a "learn to play" issue then anything else. I do not have much compassion for this issues. Every aircraft, vehicle, aircraft weapon, and vehicle weapon, and maps have been changed to help out infantry. I see tears but no problem.

Eventually, you are going to have to learn to sink or swim... there's not much more nerfing they can do without just removing vehicles and aircraft. And if you want them removed, i say you joined the wrong game.
    • Up x 1
  11. Glorin

I got a few of my friends together a few nights ago and decided to try to get footage of something no one else has ever done while recording.

Basically, we all went heavy assault and started the encounter.

It took us about 3 minutes of strict decimator rotations, but we finally got the Lightning down to about 75%, where it went into phase 2. Thankfully, all of us have had at least some experience with this, and we were ready for it.

The Lightning basically charged us and tried running us over, but we spread out like we planned and managed to dodge its attacks fairly well . We only had to use a couple of spawn beacons to get everyone back on their feet.

After about 5 minutes of this (our DPS had lowered because of all the dodging), we finally got the Lightning down to about 50%, where it promptly ran away.

We were unable to catch it.

I heard rumors of one outfit actually managing to get a vehicle down to about 25% hp, but then it supposedly enraged and killed everyone. Last I heard they haven't attempted infantry since.
    • Up x 4
  12. Bill Hicks

Silly infantry man ! Those tanks and planes are free certs for you to collect while you march on to the real enemy
  13. S1eB

Yeah, that is how it is intended, but there are too many people who juat want easy mode and will take a MAX or vehicle to a fight rather than go as infantry.
    I've seen bases lost and generators not disarmed because there are so many people sitting in vehicles and MAXs, with next to no infantry to stop the enemy taking the generators. By the time they decide to do something. it's to late and the shields are down, and the bases are being capped.

The problem isn't so much the vehicles it's that people just want to hide away behind them.

Yes it is the numbers, thats the point. Infantry are the minority.
  14. S1eB

:D

This is the mentality of most people who play the game, and that is the problem.
  15. CaptainRobust

Unless you're truly outgunned, vehicles typically can't get within 100m without being nailed by the lockon weapons from Hell.
  16. FigM

The point of playing infantry is to serve as punishment for losing your vehicles before you can spawn another one.
    • Up x 1
  17. void666

Tankers cry, pilots cry, infantry cries. Welcome to Cryside 2 River of Tears.

Maxes, tanks and aircraft are far from being invencible. There are so many counters that actually all of them usually die pretty fast.

I play every class and drive most of the vehicles. And i have fun. It's a combined arms game. Learn to deal with every situation instead of crying.

Well, maybe you should try another game. Ever heard of call of duty?
  18. S1eB

Oh look, he used the Call of Duty comment. How intelligent.

There is no dealing with the sittuation when there is nothing you can do other than get bloawn to bits.

Stop acting like it isn't a problem and that it's a player problem and not a problem with the game.
  19. TekTR

Lol is this thread a troll? It has to be...
  20. Aiden

Who said anything about acting? It isn't a problem, it's a player problem, not a problem with the game. And I'm speaking as someone who plays infantry primarily.