Magrider needs a pitch buff on it's main cannon...(pictures inside)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by treeHamster, Jun 3, 2013.

1. treeHamster

So I went into the VR and did a test from the ammo platform in front of the vehicle spawn platforms. I lined up the center of the MBT with the center of the ammo platform and straightened it out so it was facing forward using the lines on the platform as a guide.

I then took each barrel and raised it to the maximum pitch (elevation) that was allowed and fired taking screenshots the until there was an explosion against the VR wall so that you could see where the shot landed.

Here are my results...

Magrider

[IMG]

Vanguard

[IMG]

Prowler

[IMG]

As you can see the Vanguard has the highest possible elevation but only slightly better than the Prowler. The Magrider, on the other hand, has a maximum elevation significantly lower than the other two, by at least 15°. As you can see, it can barely reach an elevation over the tree while the other two can pitch their barrels well over the mountain line. At the distance I was shooting (~100m from the platform to the wall) was a solid 25m higher if not more.

The Maggy needs it's barrel fixed. There is a reason you never see Magriders shooting ESF's out of the sky while Vanguards and Prowlers seem to do it all the time. Between the significantly higher bullet velocity and much higher barrel elevation, I wonder how the Maggy ever hits anything higher than eye level.
    • Up x 2
  2. haldolium

Hm I'd rather have the lineup of the HUD and canon fixed tbh...this is a rather secondary issue given that 90% of the time shots hit ******* elsewhere.
  3. lncabin

And the velocities that NC and TR get with their tanks leaves me so jaded that they can actually shoot **** out of the sky.
    • Up x 1
  4. NinjaTurtle

My esf got shot out of the sky by a mag rider, I was doing full after burners too :( I know I'm bad at flying but still...... :(

I made sure to message the guy that it was a great shot, can't remember who it was now though
    • Up x 1
  5. treeHamster

That's called a miracle. There is like one or two guys on this entire game that can hit ESF's out of the sky consistently in a Mag. I've hit a liberator at like 200m but it was entirely luck. Never hit an ESF that wasn't parked on the ground or a flight pad.

I regularly get shot out of the sky by low rank Vanny's and Prowlers however, especially since that stupid armor buff that requires you to sit in mid air with a giant shoot me sign painted all over you, for several seconds.
    • Up x 1
  6. cfnz

They might have all been similar at one point and the Magrider might have been changed for a reason, whether that reason is still valid now is another question. I can't remember what I've read about this difference in the past.

Personally I'd reduce the gun elevation for the Vanguard and Prowler rather than increase the Magrider.
  7. sindz

Fix the pitch and up the cannon velocity.
    • Up x 1
  8. thrikerr

I still don't understand how people see this as an issue. It's a miniscule price to pay for a tank that can strafe.

And for the record, the prowler has the hardest time shooting ESFs down of all three tanks because it doesn't kill them in one shot, even with AP.
  9. treeHamster

This would work as well and to be honest, I'd prefer this instead of increasing the Mag's pitch.

That strafing isn't worth having a fixed cannon. The only reason you had the fixed cannon was because it was a floating tank that could traverse water. Well this Planetside only has one tiny little creek, hidden somewhere on Amerish, that's no more than a couple inches deep. The water around the island in north Amerish will destroy your Magrider if you touch it. So the Maggy doesn't actually float on water. Therefore they gave us something that has no practical use what so ever in this game and at the same time made the tank less practical by giving it a fixed barrel.
  10. Snib

I'll trade you my prowler's turret for strafe-ability without too much hesitation. You over-estimate how often that turret is being used. Most tank fights are in firing lines, you only need minimal horizontal aim adjustments anyway. However the ability to dodge incoming fire? Now that's something I would love. Please trade me the magburner too and lock down your tank instead. TR is supposed to have the fastest tanks anyway.
  11. Chipay

I'd something i've been thinking on for a while, replace magburner with lockdown. Lockdown would give the Magrider no bullet drop and quicker reload times, while the TR can have their super racing tank become even faster.
  12. KAHR-Alpha

This comes together with recoil and the gun wobbling around whenever you move, you sure you want the whole bundle?
  13. sindz

Yes. And if you think the mag doesnt bounce around more than a flash going down a mountain, you got another thing coming.
  14. chrisbeebops

I've shot quite a few hovering ESFs and Liberators out of the sky with the Magrider AP cannon. I'm not even that good of a shot. Pilots never learn. :rolleyes: Though I admit it is easier to do with my AP Lightning due to the higher velocity.
  15. KAHR-Alpha

Well actually I've tried the mag on another character to see how different it is, ok it bounces a bit but aiming with it is currently way more comfortable than on any other tanks, so I'm not biased on this one.
  16. Arquin

Swagrider is fine. Fail, adapt, wreck some enemies.
  17. treeHamster

Magrider (post GU10)

[IMG]

Since you guys seem to not pay any attention to the useful facts, I figured I'd bump this thread with the post GU10 (the update where they changed vehicle weapons fire). As can be seen from this new picture, the Magrider's shells still aren't landing any higher than they did previously (meaning the new vehicle weapons mechanics didn't change the Magrider's shot pitch).

So here's for all the people out there that aren't too bright. Balance all the MBT main turrets. Either raise the Magrider's maximum pitch up to that of the other two tanks, or (preferably) lower the pitch of the other two tanks to that of the Magrider. There is no reason for this disparity other than the dev's hate the Vanu and couldn't give a crap less about the faction.
  18. Thurwell

I don't think the problem is the elevation the magrider fires at, but the projectile speed. For some reason the magrider main cannon projectiles all have a slower bullet velocity than their NC and TR counterparts. Slower projectile gives it more time to drop, making it more difficult to aim and limiting the elevation it can hit targets at. Why the mag gets a worse cannon than the other two, not even counting the lack of a turret, I do not know.
    • Up x 4
  19. GhostAvatar

Yes the elevation needs to be fixed. But for all those out there that say the Maggie is incapable of shooting down ESF's, watch and learn.

20. NDroid

No one said it's impossible to hit ESFs but it is much more difficult with the Magrider's main cannon compared to the other two MBTs. With the current MBT balance there's no reason why it should have a lower elevation and slower projectiles than its counterparts. At this point its a relic from GU02 and should be brought inline with the other cannons.
    • Up x 1