Bad performance? What are you on about?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Evilsooty, May 27, 2013.

1. Basti

You need to fix your settings mate.

Your GFX is quite capable, it should be easily able to run with High textures, 85% Render and medium settings on everything else.

Suggestion: Delete your useroptions.ini (GU9 changed quite a bit there, several folks report large FPS boosts after deleting it), then set your settings higher again, and keep playing around with them.

Heres a rather good read: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/planetside-2-tweak-guide#1

Trust me, its worth the effort. Even medium settings are a world of difference. You may just want to stay away from ambient occlusion or whatever the hell its called, that drains quite some FPS (but looks fantastic. ;) )

A 9600GT? Woha, dude.

Lower Render quality (85-90%), should give you a nice FPS boost. Trade those FPS for other stuff. ;)

You as well, delete your useroptions.ini .

Could help you a gigantic ton.
  2. XOLiD

LOL $1000 graphics card. You win at being a tool sir.
  3. Cab00se187

I refuse to use my 560'ti's. Even in SLi my fps is atrocious. Don't get me wrong, I hate my AMD cards as well but I'd rather have a smooth game
  4. WaiZen

Running the game on low or High, doesn't even matter to me. At the end of the day, I still get no more than 30 FPS in big battles even with Ultra low, and even with High. Here's the CPU : i5-650.
  5. Izriul

How do you know it's overblown?

Do you know how the game runs on different machines because of how it runs on yours? You realise there's a massive difference between AMD and intel? or hell, you could have the exact same graphics card, just different makes like sapphire or visiontek and see a massive difference.

Your opinion on one machine does not hold _any_ merit to saying it's "overblown"

Come back when you've tested on a 1000 different machines and set ups.
  6. Rockstone

I can has pictures of your exploded PSU?
    What type of watercooling system did you get?
  7. lilleAllan

I get about 30 fps on lowest possible settings with an i5 and a ati 6770 with frequent lag spikes and barely functional IRNV scopes, but thank you OP for telling me that the game runs fine. In big battles I get killed quite a few times because of bad performance.
    It could be worse, but it seems like there's plenty of room for improvement here. If I consistently had 60 fps and not-gimped IRNV I wouldn't complain.
  8. Trignite

I redownloaded the whole game on a fresh install of win7 x64 and did a bunch of other stuff like run stress tests, memtest rolling back to old drivers etc.
  9. IamDH

Noob question here
    How do i know what my ingame FPS is?
  10. MilitiaMan

Shut shadows off, they are a huge hit to FPS.

You should get about 10 fps + from shutting them off.
  11. DrunkenDoughnuts

Just found my way back to this thread. Yeah, I've deleted the useroptions file before. Seems to help deleting it after every GU. I'll try that tweak guide you posted. Thanks. I don't know how much it'll help, as PS2 tells me my bottle neck is my CPU, and other than overclocking the processor and the northbridge, not sure what else I can do, but I'll try it anyway.
  12. Naceo

I get the feeling that PS2 doesn't play well with some background processes. So something like Razer Game Booster might be a good idea if you are willing to throw a bunch of science to the wall and see what sticks.
  13. Nocturnal7x

no. just no. my 4.8ghz 2600k and gtx 780 still drop to the 40s. This game runs like ****.
  14. longmachao

I have the same problem. I get 35-40 in large fight, no matter what setting it is on. On the other hand turning from very high setting to a low setting outside of battle, the FPS boost is completely noticeable. This bug the heck out of me, because i definitely wouldn't mind sacrificing a little bit of visual for better fps in these particular engagement.

my spec:
    i7-2600k
    8gig
    win7
  15. Cab00se187

Alt+f
  16. Naceo

Now that I think about it, I think what PS2 is doing is constantly changing the object render distance when it feels it has the performance to do so (anything over 30 FPS looks like). You can set a hard cap on this by changing the overall render distance ~600 (well beyond your combat range unless you fly) and that will definitely gain you some frames.

Also crap like shadows, flora, and Ambient Occlusion are complete frame suckers so consider turning em off. Other settings like texture quality will actually put a load on the CPU when set to low so turn em up till your GPU starts complaining (if it ever does).
  17. DrunkenDoughnuts

I haven't OC'd my gfx card in awhile, but when I do, because my settings are so low, the card will actually undervolt itself during the game. I knew turning off shadows, flora, and ambient occlusion helped (and I've always had them off), but didn't realize having texture quality set so low would put more of a load on the CPU. I'll have to try messing with that setting as well.
  18. xGreedFuSioN

You're lying. I have an i7 3770k at 4.4Ghz and a GTX 670 @ 1100Mhz and 16gb of RAM at 1866, and I can't remember the last time I saw 40fps in a huge fight.

Also you're a ******.
  19. SgtBreastroker

Once you've played with over 60 FPS everything lower feels like a slideshow.
  20. Basti

Lemme guess: CPU bottle necks you?

Yea, known. Having hundres of players around has some cost after all.

Maybe try unparking our cores?