Lattise System is bowing to CoD players.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ghosticus, May 24, 2013.

1. axiom537

STOP FOOLING YOURSELF, You never flanked anyone before the lattice was implemented, all you did was follow the path of least resistance around a defended facility. Your taking of a completely undefended base that happened to be beside or behind a defended base had little to no baring whatsoever on the capture of that base, other then you opened a path for the attackers to completely by-pass that DEFENDED facility and move beyond to other undefended facilities that the enemy had no chance of falling back to and setting up defenses, before you arrived.

Nothing has changed with smaller outfits, you can do all the things you did before, except you can't capture completely uncontested bases off in the middle of no where, that just happen to have some adjacency to friendly controlled territory, snaking your away across and around the map from one undefended facility to another.

You small outfit hipsters can still find that "out of the way" base, that is devoid of enemies, hack all the terminals & turrets and set up an ambush for the enemy or launch a real flank attack at the contested base from a direction the enemy would not expect, but that would require real tactics and strategy and from what I have read I do not think that is what you guys want, you would rather snake around the map from one uncontested facility to the next and call it flanking and out strategizing the enemy that is fighting 4 or 5 hexes away.
    • Up x 4
  2. CDN_Wolvie

You're making an awful lot of generalizations, assumptions, and insinuations about my play experiences and style in this post.
    • Up x 3
  3. FrankManic

The "game mechanic" being referred to is a game mechanic for keeping players in a small, constrained, and predictable area to have them fight the same fights over and over and over and over again.

In CoD they have very small maps.

In PS1 + 2 they have lattice, which makes very big maps feel very small.
    • Up x 4
  4. FinnSimmons

So sad those points.

1. Nobody defends anyway. Except for when two Zergs accidentally walk into each other. But thats not "defending". Thats fighting and something else happening while the fight is going on.

2. Try ambushing a force of more than two platoons of tanks that got more than a platoon of air flying above/slightly ahead of them. Because thats what I see all the time during prime time now.
  5. Nagant

Actually, we do defend. We check the map and decide where to make the stand.
    • Up x 1
  6. Boomotang

I defended at least 5 different bases already today.....
  7. axiom537

I have made no generalizations, assumptions or insinuations about your play experience or style. I responded to the first post which you wrote above, which YOU described your play experience and style, and I commented on that experience you described.

For instance you say flanking is reduced as an option, I disagree you can still flank Tawrich via the South eastern side of the map, you just can not capture those facilities until you have captured tawrich recycling. Nothing is stopping you from sending a squad or two to either red rock or skydock or even regent rock, hack the terminals, pull a sunderer or two and set up an ambush or get troops on the ridge line above tawrich. It is just more difficult...

The lattice has made attacking more difficult and I think that is a good thing and that is why we hear people crying about not being able to ghost hack empty bases and snake their way across the continent. The HEX system gave all the advantage to the attackers or the larger force, since they could easily bypass a contested base and skirt around it, which inevitably lead to the defenders getting held up in a base like tawrich trying to defend, while some attackers would flank around UNOPPOSED and continue on to ghost cap regent rock and/or peris amp, before the defenders at tawrich where even kicked out of the base, which generally leads to the call to abandon Tawrich, because part of the enemy has skirted around them rather then fight and is now pushing on their warp gate.

You can argue all you want, but I have been playing this game since Test and I have witnessed this scenario play out 1000's of times at Tawrich and almost every other base on every continent. (and your so called "FLANKING" only leads to bases that have defenders, willing to defend to get skirted past and having territory they have already claimed get taken with out a fight .

The lattice is forcing people to fight and outright kick your teeth in if they want to attack further into your territory. Empires are now holding their ground, because they know if they lose a base then they expose the bases behind them to be attacked and captured. We are even seeing some great back and forth battles between bases, which rarely happened with the hex system.

Granted some of the tactics and strategies you have used with the hex system are no longer viable. However, all new strategies and tactics will develop as we learn the lattice system.
    • Up x 1
  8. Metalton

Planetside released with links denoting propagation of facility benefits only. Players were not restricted by them. Restrictions were enacted late in 2004 (so yes, following in COD footsteps) to provide a crutch for their greatly reduced playerbase.

PS2 is following the same timeline, give or take a few months, and making the same mistakes all over again.
    • Up x 2
  9. Macchus

correction... you fired out of the spawn room while you were overwhelmed by the enemy zerg at at least 4 of those bases :cool:
  10. Boomotang

Correction. I helped repel a massive NC tank push coming from Howling Pass to Abandoned NS Offices. The NC had just taken Howling Pass with a massive "zerg" push heading North. TR used a combination of MBTs, Lightnings, AV MAXes, HAs, Medics, and Engineers halfway across the desert and destroyed most of the assault force.

TR then proceeded to counter attack Howling Pass. After a battle that lasted a half hour to an hour fighting for the walls, then the points and generators, TR took it. TR moved on.

This was but one example of a great fight brought to you by the lattice link.

I never stay in a spawn room for more than 30 seconds unless looking at the map or coordinating with others. If I can no longer leave the spawn room and put holes in anyone or blow anything up, I fall back and attempt to counter attack. I never understand why people stay in their spawn room when it's clear they've lost that particular battle.

I have yet been unable to find good battles that flow back and forth with this lattice system. If you don't have the same experiences I can only assume it's because you don't want battles that go back and forth struggling for every inch, or because you only log on during off hours.

I don't cry in my chair like you because I can't go around.

:eek:
  11. Macchus

so hostile...:rolleyes:
  12. ttacx

Well I may be a completely different kind of player to you but I loved everything PL2 had to offer. Sometimes I really got into the massive scale and sometimes the intimate battles were more memorable. If I like 1v1 or 100v100, doesn't the fact that the planetside gameplay and community be the main reason why I choose this game above others.? Just think for a second that maybe other PL2 players play it for other reasons then your own
    • Up x 1
  13. ttacx

No disrespect intend btw
  14. qsscout

HMM HMM this is whatan outfit can do my friend.
  15. ttacx

Finally someone with some sense. This update almost demands a cash reimbursement clause do to the fact that I spent my money on A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME! FUOk you I want my money back...
  16. qsscout

WASNT THIS GAME SUPPOSED TO OFFER LARGE FIGHTS. IF WANT SMALL FIGHT GO PLAY COD AND STOP RUINING THE GAME THE PEOPLE IN REAL OUTFITS CAME TO PLAY.
    • Up x 2
  17. Sapare

Simply the quality of the arguments posted of lattice defenders should have rendered this topic pointless, you don't even make any sense.

Do you think the guy who drew those "straigh lines" sat down and had a computer program tell him to walk along those straigh lines? There were houndreds of possiblities layed out for him by the simple fact that he had to move form point A to B. The factors that matter were terrain and supply, not magical lattice lines.

The question of asking in what military branch someone serves is irrelevant unless you wish to prove me that you are actully a high ranking military general yourself, till then we go off LOGIC rather then EXPERIENCE.

The hex system was the Heart of Iron/Victoria/ANY OLDSCHOOL STRATIGY GAME EVER system.

How do you argue against generations of stratigy.

I'll leave this one word here, this should define the fallacy of why the hex system sucks and ghost capping (ugh, it hurts to use that term) is evil.

Diplomacy

Not that I expect anyone here to figure out what I am refering to or why it shows that having a wide array of possiblities is PRO skill not ANTI skill.
  18. qsscout

iF YOU PLAY THIS GAME TO TAKE TERRITORY YOUR DOING IT WRONG. UNTIL TAKING TERRITORIE ACTUALLY MEANS SOMETHING AND YOU CAN PUSH THE ENEMY OFF THE CONTINENT YOU SHOULD JUST PLAY THIS GAME FOR THE BIG FIGHTS THAT YOU CANT GET ANYWHERE ELSE.
  19. MasterCheef

i was a BIG hater of the Lattice system before i actually got to play in it. There is DEFINITELY more tactics and active defense in gameplay now.

There are multiple choices of where to attack, sometimes it takes strategy and intel to know when to attack a base and how fast to deploy troops before the enemy can respond.

Bases where the enemy can pull armor feel 10x more important now. The other night we were trying to assault a tower where they kept pulling tanks and air, we lost that battle and had to retreat and set up a defense. While we were defending, we still had another link to that SAME tower, a SMALL group tried to take over that base while the air/tank zerg was chasing the platoon that was just defeated.

The ZERG went on to defend, while the smaller platoons and rambos tried to capture the tower. I personally flipped two points on the tower that was only defended by a few VS, soon more TR showed up and tried to take the tower.

we FAILED, but there was definitely a mix of small and large battles.
  20. Major

The best lettucer argument ever is,

The only way to fix this game and the lattice, is too add more lattice so that we have more directions to go, then we will lattice all of the continents together, in one big massive lattice.

Isn't adding more options just creating the hex system.

The lattice will choke this game to death.

Online chess is becoming online checkers from people who know nothing about strategy games, imangine if all the pieces in risk, or axis and allies were on a lattice, heck, place statego pieces on only straight movement paths. :eek:.

:eek:
    • Up x 1