Aren't we just going after PS1?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AlexanderTheTiny, May 27, 2013.

1. AlexanderTheTiny

Implemented:
    VR training room, PS1 style
    player invincibility on spawn (PS1 had very low spawn xp)
    (Daily) medals/Achievements (going after the merit system)
    Lattice system

To be implemented soon:
    Continent locking
    Interlink Facility
    Implants
    Shields around bases
    Re-certification of Items

Don't get me wrong, I love this game and I think the roadmap is mostly promising. But to me it seems the development team is working hard on a game they say is not a sequel, yet keep implementing features of PS1.

Whats next? Capitols? HART? LLU system? High BR get a fancy backpack? Cavern fighting? Battle Islands?

2. LonelyTerran

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  3. KiakoLalene

As they should be, OP.
    • Up x 1
  4. Kumaro

Well the more we play the more it seems that Planetside 1 was on to something no?
    While this game is fun there isn't enough stuff to do after a while. zerging around like a moron gets dull.
    And the game needs more challenges then just storming the same bases over and over taking the 1 same point again and again. The bases needs something more added to them. And you just said what those was :D
    • Up x 1
  5. 13lackCats

Change is good. Unless it confounds you. Long live hex. Confounding n00bs since PS1.
  6. f0d

if it works you might as well copy it

PS1 mechanics were sound its just that it had bad gunplay/gun mechanics

what should they do? copy more from horrible games like BF3? NO thank you (horrible horrible game)
    • Up x 2
  7. Basti

They are taking the elements of PS1 that worked well, while keeping the stuff out that didnt.

Dont think capitols will ever come along. They were just really random, a base you couldnt even enter, pretty much like enemy warpgates these days.

Hart? Yes please! Together with a nice topping of Sanctuarys. Obviously after we got enough continetns for the global lattice and continent locking. ;)

LLU was actually talked about. But SOE is not sure yet if they want to implement it as an alternate capture mechanic or some kind of event/alert or something. Lets wait and see, propably still a long way off till we carry balls across continents again. :D

Caves? Actually, Caves can be fun, proper caves, real caves, not the goddam Core Combat Zip line chaos Caves.

Battle island are coming! Different tho. They are pretty much the areas where the whole Esports stuff is happening, but they will also be part of the global lattice, as far as it seems. No idea how that turns out in the end.

Planetside 2 is reimagination of the Original game. THat means you take the original, soak it all in, and reimagine. Think of like looking at a picture, and then trying to recreate it, while giving it your own touch. In the end, people who know the original should be able to see it in your work, but also clarly notice your influence in the recreation.
  8. TheDrone

It worked for the people who played PS1. For some reason they think that their opinion was so wonderfully superior (despite PS1 being a more or less failed game) that it should be forced on an entirely different game and an entirely different community (which they want to "purge").

The PS1 community is the most isolationist and ego-centric community there is. They are like a cult who either wish for you to conform or to Get The F Out. I've played enough PS1 over the years to know. They're creepy.

The idea that PS2 could actually be better than PS1, but different, is literally blasphemy. The very notion confuses them.

The developers held out much longer than I thought they would. I applaud them for even trying. I mean, every single echelon of the PS2 community is dominated by The Cult. Literally. Moderators, commentators, YouTube-celebs, Outfit-Leaders, people invited to official events, ... Even some developers.
    Again, the developers are heroes. They must've loved their game very much. I genuinely feel sorry for them.

Here's the deal. Either we push for compromise or I suggest all Hexers who hold hope for the future of this game go play PS1. Then they'll realize that they'll have no choice for a different developer to make an MMOFPS. Which The Cult wouldn't mind at all. Somewhere where the infidels can be sent off to and
    • Up x 1
  9. AlexanderTheTiny

Well then, lets add destroyable spawnrooms, looting, hacking of vehicles, destroyed generators declining benefits, CR (Actual CR, not buyable CR), etc

This game would be even more awesome then it already is!
    • Up x 3
  10. Vashyo

all in good time, the game keeps on getting new stuff and tweaks as time passes.

I think they wanted to do something about the spawnroom doors going offline after SCU blows, not sure though. Would like that though sine it would encourage people to get the hell out of there instead of just camping inside.

Now that we have lattice it hsouldnt be a major issue, since you have a logical place to regroup (u can anticipate where the enemy is going next) and counter-attack or continue defending.

it would also give a very high priority target for small squads. Would be like gen-hold was in PS1 but SCU-hold here. :)
  11. Zar

fixed
  12. Rivenshield

No. But there are proven mechanics and design features from the old game that work, and work well, and that ought to be imported and updated and fine-tuned.

Sanctuaries. Rotating warp gates. Bases small enough and defensible enough that a smaller force with its act together could blunt the advance of an enemy zerg. The entire suite of PS1 engineering tools. A slightly higher TTK for infantry to accentuate the differences in empire-specific weaponry. The satisfaction of being able to fight into your enemy's spawn and gun the bastiches in their tubes, and put a decisive end to things. A command chat channel with accompanying cert tree. Anything and everything that contributes to (a) strategy and (b) defense. Those two factors combined create awesome battles. And awesome battles create memories.

It's been an eight-month exercise in pulling teeth to get as far as we have. Christ, originally we didn't even have the AMS. The Galaxy was our spawn point. Anybody remember that? Anybody remember BEFORE bases had gate shields, and you could just stroll right in? Every time they've added something from PS1, it's been a gigantic belated improvement.

What's wrong with any of those things? Wouldn't a battle island -- something that gave some important benefit to the continent it was attached to -- gave the twitchy-gamer crew a 64x64 lag-free dose of tactical awesome? What's wrong with having one highly-defensible capitol base to plan your offensive around? What'd be wrong with a network of caves to go bug-hunting in for each other? What's wrong with chasing an LLU around the map? That was a hell of a lot of fun back before the word 'esports' was even invented. Put a capitol on one continent, and put the LLU system on another, and have these features be proprietary and unique to that environment. Why not?

Nobody wants a reskinned Planetside Uno. We want the things from it that worked and were fun and that made it memorable, and are appropriate for the new Auraxis. That's not a false sense of nostalgia. It's an urgent desire to help. Because the clock is ticking.
  13. Basti

Drone, i find you funny. Because you have no idea what you are talking about.

We had loads of time with the hex system. Look how the population went down over time. Thats largley because of one, simple reason:

People log in, people want to fight.They press Instant action, end up somewhere, and have a fight. They win/loose, and then thats it. No more fight, people regardless of them winning or loosing, whoever lost is now completly split and has no idea where to go next.

This is what happens under the Hex. This is why people left the game. This is why pop will increase now thank to the lattice.

How do i know? Not because im a PS1 vet, but because im a gamer. 13 years of Playing Online games with a passion taught me one thing that is a universal fact: For every gamer that cares enough about the game to go to the forums and post, and interact with the community, there are at least 10 that dont do that. But i approachd them, time and time again, over the last 6 months, and figured out why they played less and less. And in 85% of the cases, i got a very similar answer to this: "We just lost this base, okay, but why did the fighting for it stop?"
  14. Zar

agreed I want alot back from planetside.... giant robots can stay over there caves I am indifferent about. but sancs all the bases mechanics gens destroyable spawns doors non of this 1 way sheild ***** nonsense yeah i can live with that.
  15. Vanon

PS1 had giant mech's that rocked. I would love to see those in this game. PS1 did not have scopes, we had zoom, i would not want to see that in game. PS1 was a great game, PS2 is better, and quite frankly why reinvite the wheel? Take all the good stuff that everyone liked from ps1, take all the good advancements from the modern FPS's, and combine them. You have a truely awesome game.

The one thing i wish for more then anything else is more strategic options, soemthing for the small squads. I'm really hopeing player given missions will do that.
  16. TheDrone

I'm not going to argue you. I'm not going to argue a priest of the Spanish Inquisition for the same reasons.

I would argue pretty much anyone else on these forums rather than I would argue you.

I would rather argue with a brick.

If anyone is still interested in arguments, my point isn't that either the Lattice or the Hex is superior to the other. My point is that either system serves a different crowd and therefore both are valid. Different people want different things out of the game. We can accommodate both groups.

Check out the thread in my sig.
  17. FigM

Keep some maps as Hex and some as Lattice. As long as all maps aren't changed to be the same way, we have variety and choices. Of course Indar will always be most popular, but with event system different maps can get lots of action.

Just need to hope SOE doesn't try to "fix" what's not broken
  18. TheDrone

I agree. Some maps as Hex, some as Lattice.

This would make everyone happy. (more or less...)

Check out the thread in my sig for more info.
  19. QuakerOatsMan

As people have said above, if a system works, what's wrong with reimplementing it? PS2 is not really a "continuation" of any storyline, but it is a modernized successor of PS1. Maybe you're thinking in terms of how games like the Halo series work (ie: Halo 1-4) which follow more in line with advancing storylines (and even then, they're not very different at all).

If you have any ideas that would give PS2 a different (better) path, then what would they be?
  20. WalrusJones

PS1 had VERY engaging sniping, mind you. The fact that you lost your pinpoint accuracy while waving your rifle around made it so you need to lead your target twice: Once so your gun would settle, and once so your enemy would run into your bullet (Which had velocity high enough to put PS2's snipers to shame twice over.)