[Suggestion] The Ultimate Thread Dedicated to Refurbishing TR as a Faction (Part 2)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EliteEskimo, May 26, 2013.

1. TheBloodEagle

Worthy illustration by loleator to throw in:

[IMG]
    • Up x 12
  2. Bill Hicks

Almost every weapon you suggested are incredibly spammy and unbalanced. A multi dumbfire rocket for a heavy? lol
  3. Carnivombre

I would be happy if chainguns would sound like actual weapons instead two kettles being banged together
    • Up x 11
  4. Felixbz

Thanks for posting this Eskimo, let's hope that the devs take this to heart and the TR finally because what they were meant to be as described by the lore, which is pretty much the main reason why i chose the faction.
    • Up x 4
  5. EliteEskimo

Ah Bill, I was wondering when you would comment.:D How would you propose to keep them balanced? The Terran Republic are all about lots of bullets and Dakka so of course they will be "Spammy". I'm confident that if we lower the damage of the bullets of enough though we can keep things balanced.
    • Up x 6
  6. EliteEskimo

This is a great picture BloodEagle, thanks for sharing it in the thread. I also hold many of the same feelings as he does on ESRL's.
    • Up x 5
  7. Aesir

Actually something I just thought about ...

all 3 Empires started out from the same Faction, the TR had no unique weapons to them, same goes for the NC or VS. All 3 of them used the already developed weapons that were initially created by NS for the TR before the rebellion started.

Later down the line each of the 3 Empires actually added their own flavor to their arsenal.

The TR down graded in caliber to reduce recoil but increased Rof and Capacity.

The NC added Gauss Tech or increased caliber to increase velocity and/or first strike damage but increased recoil and lowered Capacity.

The VS took the existing very balanced NS weapon concept and rebuild it as an Energy based weapon, having similar properties to the NS one only with no bullet drop or other advantages coming from Energy based type weapons.

So if we would talk in some simple numbers of an imaginative all round NS Assault Rifle, let's say a future NS Punisher using 8mm ammo(dealing 143 damage) with a RoF of 700rpm and Velocity of 600m/s.(1668 dps)

It's a allround AR laying in between all current AR's meant for all round use(unlike the NS-11A which is more of a marksman rifle).

Now what would each empire do to iterate this weapon and add a reworked, self-produced copy of this weapon to their arsenal following the same allround role concept?

The TR would down grade to 7mm ammo that deals 118 damage that have less recoil but very slightly less Velocity of 580. This also allows to put more rounds into the magazine. But they also would beef up the RoF to 900+.(1770 dps)

The VS would copy the stopping power of the 8mm ammo and deal the same 143 damage and have the same RoF to the NS weapon of 700rpm but remove all bullet drop from the weapon system and a unique recoil pattern.(1668 dps)

Now the NC ... they actually would probably keep the 8mm but by adding Gauss tech to the weapon which would beef up Velocity to 650m/s and damage to 167 damage but lower the RoF down to 600rpm because of the Gauss tech. (1670 dps)

Which would actually reflect the current TR/VS/NC AR's that are ingame right now. The TR often have 100 dps more than NC and VS if you compare similar role AR's (Gauss vs T1 Cycler vs Pulsar V1 or GR-22 vs Cycler TVR vs H-V45).

Now what could we actually add to either the NC or VS that is unique to close that gap without screwing to the sustained feature of the TR?

NC Gauss tech - VS Charged Barrel = The first few rounds fired deal even more damage but the longer you fire the lower the damage get's, down to the point were they get no enhancing at all, meaning 8mm will deal 200-143 damage, on the course of how long you fire. The weapon will need a rest to charge all it's coils back up.

VS Stored Energy - NC Magnetic Magazine = higher RoF for the first few rounds fired, once the weapon system starts to drain primarily form the Battery it's RoF stabilizes.

Overall those changes would allow for more unique faction feel and should be balanced out to come to the same over all dps over the course of a set time. Meaning LMG's as an example might have less of those effects but longer enduring ones, while SMG's highly spike in those 2 mechanics but also run out of steam very quickly.

Just an idea ... I think it's cool and would add variety ...
    • Up x 8
  8. Chrisragnar

Give the prowler more seats. Either Anti inf guns on the outside that can be manned by soldiers outside the tank armor. Or give it a Driver + main-gunner + sec-gunner -configuration (3 seat) Hate driving and gunning.
  9. EliteEskimo

That's more so a, "make tanks 3 seated", than a TR specific comment you're requesting. I'm also a fan of making a 3 seated tank, but this is not the thread for that.
    • Up x 3
  10. Mattressi

Having not read the Empire Debriefs previously (I didn't start playing until Beta), I found this interesting:

So, TR weapons are supposed to have the highest accuracy, highest bullet velocity, fastest fire rates, largest ammo capacities and the highest DPS. So basically, they should have guns which are the best at almost everything? The only things left are recoil and damage per shot (and damage per shot is the dumbest bloody way of balancing anything I've ever seen - if one shot killed, fine, but when it takes several shots from both and overall both have the same TTK, the extra damage per shot means nothing).

I guess VS were meant to get the low recoil and NC were meant to get the high damage per shot. Both of these traits were meant to, alone, balance the 5 traits (including DPS) which TR are meant to be good at? No wonder the TR are nothing like their Debrief promised!
  11. Wintermaulz

[IMG]

Very well put together, as per usual eskimo. I do tip my hat off to you.
    • Up x 5
  12. Felixbz

Where does it say highest accuracy, Where does it say highest bullet velocity?.

We get the fastest fire rate, Better accuracy than NC, We have more ammo than any other faction because of our faster firing rates, We have the MAXIMUM SUSTAINABLE DAMAGE, meaning that over time we will do more damage, but other factions do more in bursts, which is usually better for 1v1s.

Basically, TR perks are as follows.

Fastest fire rate.

Medium accuracy, so better than NC but worse than VS, i assume this means horizontal recoil, because that can't be controlled and TR should have little to none of it.

Largest ammo capacities.

That's all, The maximum sustainable damage is just a side effect of having the fastest rate of fire, it doesn't necessarily mean we'll win all fights.
    • Up x 3
  13. Aesir

To actually further add to this ...

What also could work

NC Gauss Tech + Magnetic Magazines = Higher Velocity and RoF bonus for the NC for the first few rounds fired.

VS Energy Tech + Charged Barrel = Higher RoF and Damage for the first few rounds fired.

But again, overall the dps and thus TTK over a set course of time should be relatively equal across all 3 factions. Meaning if you manage to hit and control the initial recoil the NC or stay on target as a VS you should have a slightly higher TTK than TR. While TR should have a higher overall TTK that stays stable and can be sustained, giving you a weapon that performs good at all times(some would say a soldier weapon and not a toy with gimmicks).
    • Up x 1
  14. Ztiller

TR can get centralized Prowler-barrels across the X-axis when VS gets a centralized barrel along the Y-axis.

Or, imo, keep them both and don't try to turn this game into yet another bland, generic grey mess where the only differences between the factions are visual.
  15. Mattressi

This part which I bolded and underlined in my original post. That's the first line which mentions anything about the TR weapon characteristics and I assumed that when it says that the TR "sticks with" that, that they might do it properly and be best at it. Unless the line really means that the TR prefers to stick with accuracy, high velocity and high capacity; but really only focuses on capacity and doesn't actually care all that much about accuracy and high velocity. Why include those traits if it's not what TR are best at? Why do the other empire debriefs not mention these traits (NC get a "it does high damage" and a vague "durability" line, while VS get "ancient aliens" or something like that, and "low recoil"). Why would the empire which focuses on those traits (when the others aren't said to) not be the best at them?

I'm well aware that TR aren't like that now, but that was the point of my post.
  16. Felixbz

Accurate doesn't mean greatest accuracy, High velocity doesn't mean that they have the best muzzle velocity.

The TR are in the middle on everything except rate of fire and magazine capacity, they are more accurate than the NC, but worse than the VS, they have decent muzzle velocity, better than VS, worse than NC, since they currently have the highest velocity (i believe, not too sure).
    • Up x 1
  17. Aesir

Another way of doing this is (yet again ...) how PS1 did it. The Tanks crosshair projected were the Barrel actually was aligned towards or which barrel was loaded(Reaver/Prowler and so on).

Meaning if you had your barrel in the wall, the crosshair actually followed the barrel on the wall and not your center of the screen. The Prowler Cross hair was constantly hoping between left and right barrel aliment, same goes for the Reaver with firing left and right rocket pods.

I will see if I can dig up a video to showcase this ...

edit. @ 0:50 and following you see what I mean as the Vanguards totally unaligned to center of the screen crosshair moves while they move past the trees and terrain.

• Up x 1
  18. Takoita

A very good summation of that monster thread for ease of browsing. Thank you.

IMHO, attachments distribution is the quickest change to implement; there are guns that are in a sore need of that x2 scope but get none of it for some reason (MSW-R and T16 off the top of my head).
  19. FIN Faravid

FAMAS from Battlefield 3+ 40 rounds per mag is perfect TR weapon. Try it, and you see recoil and ROTF make it actually very hard to controll, you often shoot more bullets than is necessary.
  20. BaldGibbon

It does appear, even to the casual observer that the TR faction has lost its way somewhere along the line.

The TR are supposed to be the benchmark for all military forces in the Planetside Universe....quite possibly the only official military force. They are supposed to be using weapons and tactics that have evolved over generations to be the peak of conventional engineering and conventional technology.

Terran Tech.

Having sophisticated and evolved weapons and equipment, often does not mean that those items are the most destructive....but it can mean they are leading edge in other aspects. Think along lines that modern munitions have gone in the past few years.....the move from huge dumbfire bombs to laser guided or smart weapons...the target is still destroyed but more efficiently.

Cold and efficient

That is almost what I would imagine the Terran Republic could have as a moto.

Terran Advantage

The Terrans would have leading edge advantages in the whole logistical act of war....its been their trade for centuries, and trade has been good.

1) They would have unsurpassed experience in the supply and manufacture of munitions and equipment, Their medical support would be highly trained and would have fought in conflicts of greater intensity, it would work like an well oiled machine.

2) The structure of a Terran Base would be designed to perform its role, highly defended with overlapping weapons coverage, with substantial physical and electronic defences ( radar jammers etc )

3) All of its weapons would have beed designed for ease of servicing and reliabilty, ergonomics and smooth and rapid reloading.

4) Its machines would also have as much effort put into their ease of manufacture and repair/servicing as well as actual combat performance.

5) They would be incredibly effective when working in teams, platoons, squadrons or any other rigidly organised outfit.

Terran Limitations

1) The Terrans would be almost incapable of adopting new tactics or lateral thinking with any great speed.

2) They would become heavily reliant on their supply chain, lighter more mobile effective troops, but tied to some kind of support.

3) Weapons advances would have to pass through multiple rank heavy committee,and numerous trials before finally being rejected....any amazing technologies would simply not be used.

4) When working as an individual, they would be greatly hampered due to their doctrine of always working as a rigidly commanded team, Scouts and lone wolves would be a rare skill and troops would likely to " bunker down " if they lose their chain of command.

How you would put this into a game is open to discussion....but this is the kind of backstory that is missing and in my mind would greatly add flavour to the faction as a whole. I can imagine that Terran held Ammo towers or flight pads would give a passive extra bonus to ammo replen for example....or the Terran Held warpgate would be bedecked in war banners and posters to the Republic.
    • Up x 1