The fallacy of the Ghost Capping argument

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sapare, May 26, 2013.

1. Teegeeack

As I said, by all means make it necessary for the ghostcapper to sit on the point. That evens up the reward/effort ratio and would make it easier for you to "root them out", given you have the intelligence to spawn up a scout radar or even, in a pickle, change to infiltrator and use your recon darts.
  2. ent|ty

Yep. And they blame us for capping it while they fight at the Crown for their Certs. Unbelievable huh. Want their cake and eat it too.
    Unbelievable.

In the opposite direction, I had many, many places to defend and patrol when I was in the mood. These small engagements would usually turn into medium battles and eventually into Zerg fights, because a few lone wolves worked together to hold a base from being flipped an the enemy would get mad. Or back capping them while they focused on the Crown.

Now they don't have to maintain a front line, or patrol their capped regions, or do any maintenance.

Less thinking, less strategy. The Zerglings have clearly been rewarded and encouraged to Zerg.

I'm glad I pretty much play only on Esamir and Amerish, where the hand-holding, mollycoddle lattice hasnt been implemented.
    • Up x 3
  3. Bobby Shaftoe

Applying your bizarre analogy, one of the teams now scores double points because they have a man standing by a lampost outside the stadium.
    • Up x 2
  4. ent|ty

Back in the day, I could pick my respawn points from available faction-owned hexes. It wasn't a problem for me that after I died, I found the one that was being attacked, or ghost capped, or w/e on the map, and I would spawn there to defend it.

It doesnt take many people to patrol an area, especially with ESF.. patrol back areas, then move to the main battle. ITs not hard.

Then SOE took away my spawn choices. So I couldn't spawn at a owned hex when under attack, so all I could do is just watch it go down. That sucked.

But now, I don't have any of that to do anymore. it doesnt exist with lattice. I'm out of a patrolling job, and a 'behind the lines' job. Both died with the lattice
    • Up x 4
  5. Teegeeack

The other team loses because they couldn't be bothered to send a man out to the lamppost to deal with it.
    • Up x 5
  6. 13lackCats

Yep, because they called losing "LOL Teamy-Weamy"
    • Up x 1
  7. bodmans

Quoted person IS bad at engrish
  8. -Zlodey-

Yes, I`am :( Need more practice.
  9. bodmans

nvm

and on a side note, theres already a thread saying not to accuse lettuce for everything...
  10. Fanaticalist

I always found this to be perplexing as well. People say "ghost capping" when I think they really mean "we want bigger fights".

The "ghost capping" problem with empty bases being flipped was largely eliminated with base influence being removed. Small squad or single-player caps would frequently be contested in alerts - especially late in alerts. If I'm playing solo, stopping small caps like this is an enjoyable part of the game for me. Lots of killing and blowing stuff up.

"Ghost capping", for me, is when a platoon rolls into a base nearly uncontested and has to sit on it's thumbs while waiting for it to flip. You can't leave because it's possible that enough players could spawn. However, they never do. You're stuck, doing nothing, but praying for someone to show up and make things interesting. It is so, so dull.

So far, the lattice has promoted a couple of really large fights for me. Those were great fights and in new locations from previous battles. However, there are still long stretches of boredom if you end up in the wrong lettuce lane. The original definition of "ghost capping" hasn't really been an issue for a while and the second definition still is an issue.
  11. Marinealver

ghost capping is not much of a problem with the only thing that it can take so long to get back. I would have to say that is because of the time tug of war base capture mechanics

I'll be honest and frank. I have never been a fan of the way Planetside 2 has bases that are captured. It seems so tedious and more of a waiting game then the hack and wait capture mechanic of Planetside 1. Planetside 1 had a single one way countdown timer. So the attackers had to hold the base until the time was up. defenders had to resecure the base before the time was up. That gave some intense moments as a last few minute resecure can throw off a superior force if coordinated right.

With the tug of war capture system. trying to resecure a base after it has almost captured is a waste of time. Because now the defenders have to hold for twice as long as the attackers had to therefore making capturing bases more easier for what ever empire brought the most.
  12. Sapare

After reading all the replies this one was the main one I wanted to reply to.

1. Actully not a bad idea, originally I thought this might be a problem for late days hours, but it actully could solve SOME of the late night continent "locking".

2.This used to be how it was handled in the infulence system, idk why it was changed.(I think people disliked staying at the points rather then camping spawn).

2b. Was also often brought up back in the day, never implemented though.

3. I am not actully sure about this one as giving a way to destroy SCU actully makes Blitz Krieg capping more powerful because it seriously limits the amount of time the defenders have to react.(smart people just blow the SCU before ever starting the cap)
  13. MikeyGeeMan

Ghost capping wasn't a problem with influence. People had to be on the point to cap it.

People whined about that and wanted to see timers on the map so they got rid of it.

Bring it back. It was a good system.
    • Up x 3
  14. Ribero

I agree with the OP.
  15. HadesR

The main issue I had with Ghost capping was that they didn't even need to stay on the point .. All they had to do was flip it and **** off ..
    Stupid design IMO

Make it so cap points need 10/10 people and they need to stay and " earn " the base by remaining on the cap point then you will have no argument from me :)
  16. Xae

Your definition of ghost capping is wrong.

Ghost capping is any time you are trying to take an undefended base.
  17. Sapare

My question is. Why can't we have infulence AND a timmer? The game seriously should be able to calculate the EXPTECTED time remaining at current factors. It already does that with 3 point bases?(if you go between owning 3 or 2 of them) I really doubt the system would implode from having to calculate in a % and a multiplier(I think that is how infulence worked. Every more person added a plus 1 to the x variable and the infulence was the %. Captime=basetime/(x)(%)

In all honestly, was this such a difficult formula to use? I made this one up myself and I asume it is not perfect(some variables might have different values) but I always knew what to expect for each base.
  18. IamDH

Too long,did not read
    [IMG]
    Ill read it tomorrow and give you HONEST feedback
    Sorry for the troll comment
  19. Sapare

Because you invented the term Ghost Capping?

I have not actully seen it in any dictonaries.... hmm

Also, attacking a base which has no defenders at the time of my attack is a crime..

Ok, let us role with that:

What do you want me to do?

blow up my sunderrer, shoot myself and respawn somewhere ells as not to inconvient my enemy?
    • Up x 2
  20. Xae

Because Ghost capping dates back to Planetside 1. It is interchangeable with "Back capping".

The only difference is that ghost capping generally caries a connotation of a small group of people, or a single infiltrator. "Back Capping" is generally used as a generic term.

Source: 10 years of Planetside.
    • Up x 2