C4 Time To Detonate...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Alarox, May 25, 2013.

1. Alarox

Is too long, period. It's always annoyed me and pretty much everyone who uses C4 from what I understand (although Light Assault doesn't seem to have much of a problem with this).

In most scenarios that you use C4 you fight to get into the position where C4 is even useful, and when you finally DO get that chance, the time to blow it up can easily make it all for nothing.

For example, I was just in a base defending on Indar where there were a couple tanks and 2 Harassers. One Harasser in particular was camping the spawn doors with a fury from a distance. I couldn't blow him up with my Phoenix since the engineer was outrepairing the DPS. So I sneaked past 3 tanks, a harasser, across the road, through the capture point, up a hill, and behind it.

In the time that it took my soldier to click the button to blow up the C4 I had already ran around the harasser and got shot 3 times, then jumped through the air. As I was clicking the button (my thumb already pushed down according to the animation) I got horribly murdered by the fury gunner who who just noticed me.

Things like this tend to happen all of the time when it comes to C4. In my opinion, it's the most annoying thing in the game at the moment.

I fail to see how I didn't deserve this kill, or the many others that the long time to detonate prevented. The simple fact of me placing the C4 and being alive for 2 more seconds should be enough for me to deserve the kill, even regardless of the act of getting to the vehicle in itself.

When fighting an enemy MAX this is also pretty common. You place the C4 under their feet from melee range, but they actually have time to waddle away from the blast radius entirely if they try.

Same thing when fighting tanks. You sneak up on a tank, have time to place 2 C4, then they actually have enough time to fling their cannon and shoot you or run you over. If you're a tank who doesn't have a gunner to watch your back, or you put yourself in a position where someone can literally run up behind you and place C4, I'm fairly certain that soldier earns the right to blow you to hell.

To anyone who says this would make Light Assault overpowered, Light Assaults don't even suffer from this. It might annoy them, but if their C4 is down they WILL get the kill. If a Light Assault placed C4 on your vehicle, you won't be able to kill them before it blows up. If a Light Assault flew over your MAX, chances are he won't be able to move out of the way. The problem I'm talking about only screws over someone who more than earned the reward.
    • Up x 4
  2. Angry Scientist

Do you really want users to be able to place C4 and instantly blow it with nothing more then the 200 resources to do it?

I'm with you there, man. I've died just moments before I pushed the red button and gotten that sweet, sweet kill. But it's gotta be how it is. If you can't get in and then out in the ten seconds total it takes to lay it properly and kill a ****, then you probably shouldn't have tried, or should have used a different angle.

Besides. The time it takes to arm gives you the perfect moment to utter a badass one liner before you pop the C4.
    • Up x 5
  3. CrimsonDaemon

Its a little ********. I remember when I was trying to C4 a ZOE max. Thumb hit the button. Thumb lifted off the button. I get gunned down and no explosion. Such is life in the Zone.
  4. RHINO_Mk.II

Frankly, I can live with the long detonation time, but there is NO REASON whatsoever for the C4 to magically disappear when you die. Sure, you shouldn't be able to trigger it on respawn (revive is another matter) but the bricks themselves should stay there, and if your buddy comes along and hits them with a rocket, more power to him.
    • Up x 2
  5. Holomang

Time to detonate definitely needs to be decreased.
    • Up x 1
  6. Bill Hicks

Its fine. be more sneaky
    • Up x 4
  7. Van Dax

I'd say its fine, any faster and light assaults become ridiculous again. You NEED that few extra seconds so you can actually kill them do to the jump jets causing half your bullets to magically do no damage.
    • Up x 4
  8. Sifer2

It has to be this way otherwise they become too similar to a short range grenade that does insane damage. You can kill entire groups of people with them. That kind of power can't be allowed to be spammed super fast, and easy. I remember they were like that in Battlefield, and it was total bull**** especially on servers with friendly fire turned off.
    • Up x 3
  9. x2cygnus

I am using C4 a lot. Killing tanks, sunderers, clusters of maxes, etc... I am not always successful but still - C4 is currently my weapon with the highest score count (stats + sort by score)
    So, believe me when I say - lower detonation time would make the weapon too strong, lowering the chance of reaction of those on the receiving side.

That's another problem. Your C4 either bugged and would not have detonated at all even if you had survived, or there was a lag issue. Either way - that should not happen, but latency is an issue you cannot completely get rid of. One way or another, it is going to be unfair to someone:
    - You see that you detonated before the opponent killed you.
    - The opponent sees that he killed you before you detonated.
    There is no fair solution to this!
    • Up x 1
  10. Copasetic

I don't think it's too long, it just feels too long due to shoddy animations and a general lack of feedback about what's actually going on. Did I drop that stick or not? Is my detonator ready or not? Can I throw a second stick yet or do I just have to spam the mouse button some more first? There's no way to know, so the best way to throw C4 is to just spam the mouse button until it finally explodes.
  11. illgot

C4 should not vanish if the owner dies, that's just stupid.

The delay is fine.
  12. LahLahSr

C4 in this game is not configured as a grenade. It is supposed to be a planted charge, but for some reason it can be lazily dropped. If anything, there should be a 3sec timer for planting the charge.

Best to leave well enough alone...
  13. Hagestol

Nice new sig! Now we just need the 1st - 8th and we're good!

Also, when was the LA ever ridiculous? Dying before C4 detonation time counts for half my resource loss. In the fray, there are going to be a lot of people supporting a vehicle or max, and the feeling after dropping two extremely slow C4 bricks and dying a second after the last because my ingame character wanted a tea break makes me want to hit the screen. Repeatedly. Aaaaargh.

Reduce the time to compensate for despawn upon death. If the LA has managed to deploy the bricks he should be able to detonate them - it takes ages to deploy two so it is already enough there.
  14. Van Dax

Well mostly that it is a hard counter to maxes, but even they should get the chance to kill the la before it happens just like esfs have a chance to get away from AA fire. I don't think they should cost as much resources as you can get multiple kills over a life with a max but really only one with c4 (unless you used it on a large group). IDK its really in the end just my opinion, I still enough to c4 but not enough to feel like it needs any nerfing (so i guess it needs a buff then lol)
  15. Liquid23

I agree... but then again it's stupid that C4 explodes when I shoot it with my pistol... and more over it's stupid that that far in the future they are still even using C4 since we already have better and more stable plastic explosives now
  16. Hagestol

Well look at it this way. The max costs 100 resources to pull. The C4 costs 100 resources, and can only kill a max without armor or shield.

The Max can easily be rezzed. The C4 is spent killing the max, despawns upon LA death and theres significant delay between deploying, second deploy and being allowed to detonate it.

Saying C4 is a hard counter to max is to harsh, situational unaware maxes yeah - but thats C4 for you. Most of the time a MAX will decimate you, so if anything the MAX is a hard counter to LA. At best I would say C4 is a soft counter to MAX.
  17. simmi1717

The only thing I have a problem with right now is not the doploy time or detonate time, but that If I die I lose 100-200 infantry resources. The C4 should either return to me or I should be able to detonate it after I come back alive. I don't mind dying because I can try again, but running out of C4s is the biggest problem especially when I didn't get the kill for it.
  18. Alarox

How is the timer a justified defense for people on the receiving end?

How is me getting through a base filled with enemies and going over an exposed hill up to the Harasser not enough of a defense? I fail to see how doing that and being alive for 2 more seconds after the plant means I DON'T deserve the kill.

It's not as if getting to them is the easy part. That's the hard part that is the challenge that justifies the success.

If you haven't stopped someone with C4 in the time that it takes them to get to you, I don't see how you need another safety net.

As for the grenade argument, if I get into a position where I'm next to a ton of enemies and am alive for 2s, it's pretty fair that I get to blow them straight to hell. If you let someone get passed all of your defenses and right next to you and a squad full of allies, and you don't kill the attacker in a few seconds, they clearly earned that either through skill or because your side let them.
  19. Loegi

Although I find it incredibly annoying to throw a C4 stick and to not be able to push the button for no real reason and die, I think it would be quite OP if it didn't have that delay.
  20. Marinealver

I hate the fact that C4 is used more like a thrown grenade instead of a placed explosive.

I would say increase the projectile drop so you cant throw it more than a few feet in front of you (but can still drop it off an edge is you got a good vantage point) Also keep the increased timer and wollah.

Also they should increase the plant time for mines to include anti tank mines and proxy mines. Again those are often being used as a grenade with them being thrown off the back of a flash or harasser. Increase the time to plant a mine and also make the projectile drop so they really cant throw it at a tank.

Mines and C4 items need to be more of a drop weapon instead of a thrown weapon. Grenades are for throwing.