FNO sneek-peek. Dome shields preventing air attacks over bases.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Baleur, May 24, 2013.

1. PS2Freak

Loving the new Esamir ... maybe it is good that nc got shield?
  2. Oheck

Ugh..I'm gettin that feeling again. I can sense the games threshold lowering. Devs, it is ok to say no sometimes, so you can maintain a certain level of gameplay. You have given us enough tools to deal various situations, especially air. I just don't see a need for shields like this, and this is coming from an infantry guy.
    • Up x 1
  3. 13lackCats

It is unfortunate that you are spawn camped.
  4. EliteEskimo

Hopefully once bases are built better so tanks can't freely shell them we can give tanks their splash damage and radius back so they can hold the upper hand against infantry in the open field again. Tanks that behave like tanks + better bases that are more dangerous for tanks and more defendable by infantry = win/win
    • Up x 1
  5. goodzack

this is a bad idea you are forcing snipers to get inside the bubble so long range snipers are useless now and as for vehicles its called adapting you pull some AA maxes and handle it. The only way i see this working if its only like 30m from spawn so they are not instant gibbed. Its a cool idea to do it on maybe 3 facilities on a continent but all is pure dumb there will be no use for vehicles other than a taxi.I mean come on what will be point on he round tanks and zephyr if this happens because majority of fighting actually happens at facilities.
  6. siiix

my opinion (and i dont fly)

# shield HAS TO BE disable able, BUT dont make it to easy, make it like 3 generators each each generaror only pays 30% of a regular generator in XP
    # galaxies have to be access / drop trough shields (i think they still do)

i dont mind occasionally getting killed by air, its part of the game... instead maybe there should be teleporters IN every spawn-room so you can appear on many different locations around the base and have a chance to shoot that air out the sky
  7. siiix

again i play infantry but if that happens i think i give up on this game... you get pushed back to the spawn room get over it and re-spawn

tanks are VERY vulnerable to infantry already, until you pushed back to the spawn room , at witch point you should just admit defeat and leave
  8. Rickenbacker

If they come up with a cert that lets you shoot through the shield, this is a non-issue. Should probably not be available for MAXes though.
  9. TallPaul_S

This is why shields won't stop air/armor being able to contribute.

[IMG]

No fights happen outside bases? Yeah right. You've obviously not played on Indar since lattice was introduced. That screenshot is on a fight across the valley and bridge between TI Alloys and Allatum, probably 100-150 friendly troops and the same enemy (they weren't all rendering). This was on miller, this fight lasted a good 30 minutes, with the VS slowly pushing into TI alloys with the help of deployed sundies in the valley.

And there's a number of fights just like this happening across the continent.

Domes would have had ZERO effect on this battle.
    • Up x 3
  10. Booface

As long as there is a generator for the shield that can be taken down--make a push for the gen then call in the air support once the shield drops.
  11. chilly154

Relax man the game is changing it is improving. This game will not look the same does next year.
  12. Cl1mh4224rd

I like the concept of the dome shields, but I think they're going to backfire as infantry protection.

Rocket-podding ESF jockeys already have a somewhat limited window in which to effectively spam a target. Currently, ground-based AA can attack these ESFs as they approach, as they're spamming their target, and as they fly off (if the pilot doesn't choose his path wisely). However, with these dome shields, ESFs can now safely approach their target and safely fly off. They'd only be exposed to damage from enemies under the shield for the relatively short amount of time it takes them to unload one salvo of rockets.

Liberators might be more limited by the dome shield, but they can still effectively bob up and down, dropping below the shield to attack and then ascending above the shield to use it as protection.

I think the only people who will benefit (in a good-for-the-game way, not just a good-for-me way) from these dome shields would be the pilots who prefer dogfighting.

Unfortunately, even then, the dome shields are more of a benefit to the these pilots on the attacking side than the defending side. Attacking pilots will be protected from any defending AA under the dome shield, while defending pilots will still be exposed to attacking AA that is not under any dome shield.
    • Up x 1
  13. Xind

They're for assaulting Armor columns as they roll to other bases and sunderers outside of walls. The bombarding of court yards is just one of many factors that drives everyone into their spawn room with no desire to leave it. Also, MAX suits around corners, c4 from flyers, ESF, and of course medic spam, so even if you kill a guy he's back on his feet before you can respawn.
  14. Nogrim313

good job on situational awareness.... its combined arms if your too dumb to check the skies your about as smart as a gopher/prarie dog
  15. Nogrim313

flat out if dome shields are added to bases and no way to disable im done, whats the point in playing combined arms then? really really stupid , and to be honest showing them half finished on FNO was a bad call, there has been zero discussion on it and it never even been on the road map im pretty sure an overwhelming majority would down vote this to oblivion if it was.

just the prospect of this being added has made me want to play even less
    if this gets forced on us it better only be one continent
  16. iller

Are you sure this wasn't the 4/1 episode??

AMP stations are like the only bases that ARE equipped to deal with Air Spam.... Why would they ever need Domes? All we really need are domes over the Spawn area (but not if they're Towers). We also need the Territory control in other continents to affect each faction's SUNDERER respawn times (probably a 2.5 sec penalty for each continent they're not holding atleast 3 major Facilities in).

But seriously... we've already got a "DOME" now... it's called the new reduced 250cert HAWK MISSILE.
    Everyone should have one by now, even total newbies. There's no excuse anymore.
    • Up x 1
  17. void666

As i understand it i can still fly below the shield to lolpod people. But the funny thing is as soon as i get back over the shield infantry can't shoot me.
  18. HadesR

Correct

Only ones who will really suffer are high altitude Lib bombers .. When you think about it, it's could be a huge buff to ESF's ... maybe to much .
  19. Mattressi

It seems like these domes might make ESFs better ground attackers than Libs. What use are Libs with dome shields on the ground? The point is that Libs are meant to bombard from up high, but now they'll have to come down lower (unless the domes extend all the way up to 1000 metres?) and be extremely vulnerable. Some Lib pilots will possibly get good at dipping in briefly and firing off a few Daltons or Zephirs, which could basically result in the Lib being only useful as a really cheap-kill vehicle which skirts shields so that no one can hit it.

The worst thing about this shield idea, to me, is that it's turning PS2 into one of those horrible, generic F2P MMOs where all fights are by player choice - you can say "hey, I'm not gonna go into that dome, I'll go to the one next to it and farm a bit". There's no threat from anywhere except where you choose for there to be a threat.

It's bad enough how much the game is against vehicles, but with dome shields it seems like every base is just going to be a small, self-contained Call of Duty map. People will just instant-action to the next map, with only a small number of people travelling there properly. It confuses me that in a combined arms game, infantry rule in all engagements.
  20. Typhoeus

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I play mostly as an esf pilot and this change will no doubt render my role pointless but on the other hand, the only reason I ever started playing as an esf pilot was because my outfit had no pilots to defend ground assests from libs (when people actually used libs to attack ground units). Prior to that I was very happy running around as a heavy assault.

To the people saying you could just get under the shield to get your kills in, have you seen how low those shields actually are? Theres no way your average esf pilot is getting anything done and getting out alive once he very slowly hovers down under the shield. To those saying the latice makes people fight in the fields away from bases, once you've got dome shields over all bases why would you risk fighting in the fields instead of digging in on your now very well protected base?

So I guess in the end it's not the end of the world but it'll phase out the usefullness of air units even more. But maybe that's what this game needs *shrug*