Jaguar vs Lynx post GU8

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by FPSnoob, May 13, 2013.

1. loleator

A guy already told you this and he is right. Jaguar has an manageable recoil (up and veeery little to a side, almost unnoticeable) but unmanageable spread. You can't compensate for that with skill, bullets will just go on a cone and you can't move your mouse to put all those bullets on a target.

Lynx as with other weapons with recoil to a side has less spread and you can compensate for the horizontal recoil with the mouse, so it's just better.

It goes like this:
    New player: "ZOMG JAGUAR DIS WEAPON HAS NO RECOIL, SO OP"
    Good player "Give me the horizontal and MANAGEABLE recoil of the Lynx pls"
    • Up x 1
  2. XRIST0

Each to their own i guess , for me atleast it feels like the Lynx pulls to the right too much .

The Lynx might be better from 10-30 metres but anything outside of that its practically useless .. i dont see anybody using the Lynx really , i see more people using Trac 5 or the Jag .
    • Up x 1
  3. vaxx

4. XRIST0

Same go's for the Jaguar or any gun really , i dont know what that proves .

BUT anyway , im not arguing with you man i think they are both good guns i just dont like how the Lynx controls itself personally .
  5. loleator

Nope it doesn't. And don't be so persistent.

I made this drawing for you:

[IMG]

-A new player is most likely to hit more bullets on the target with the first weapon, even more if he bursts and doesn't let the spread open too much as in the upper part. However at ranges, any kind of spread translates on bullets not hitting the target.
    -A new player is most likely to hit less bullets with the second weapon as he has to correct the recoil every single time on top of bursting.

-A pro player can't handle the first weapon spread as it would require you to move your mouse at 750 rpm following the dots on top of tracking your target. That is impossible.
    -A pro player will be able to correct the recoil pattern on the second weapon with certain playtime. And these weapons have less spread to compensate for the fact that they have horizontal recoil.

You can teach yourself how to correct recoil. You can't manage spread.
    • Up x 1
  6. Farlion

I don't get the hate in this thread.

Some people prefer the Jaguar, other the Lynx.
    No need to make such a big deal out of it.
  7. vaxx

I don't think there is much hate....its called frustration. When someone is saying that's an opinion, and its a fact, it can get frustrating. When you try to explain recoil and bullet spread and people blow you off saying your just "bad" it can get frustrating. When people state things are true (like the Lynx is useless past 30m) when they aren't it can get frustrating.

I couldn't care less if someone likes one over the other...that is fine. Someoen loves the Jag, great. Their preference doesn't affect me. When people who are ignorant to the weapons and facts try to pass something off without the knowledge....well they need to be corrected.
  8. Stargazer86

Myself? Trac-5s. If you're going to be using a carbine, it's likely going to be at longer ranges. The 5s has nice, predictable recoil and is nicely accurate and those longer ranges. I have the Lynx as well, but find that in the types of CQC situations where it's good, shotguns are better.
  9. Corezer

Lynx<Jag/=Trac5.

Lynx is better at longer ranges, because in spite of the l/r recoil, the thing that will be taking you off target is bloom and both will have to stop for it. The lynx just does better damage at ranges since the nerf. 50rpm does not make up for +1stk

Of course, if you want the best of both worlds you will pick up the trac5. the only reason I have it as different than the jag rather than better is because of the adv laser sight and soft points making one better for close and the other for far. depending on how you want to orient your character's capabilities one could be better than the other.

Think of concentration as a resource. Sure, I could manage the lynx, but that takes away from my SA, and as LA, SA is king.

Vaxx, I used to think like you. cept this is back when I was playing console. MW2, I used to always say the M4>ACR because the recoil was managable and it fired 50rpm faster (zomg same situation!) MLG weapon of choice between the 2, the ACR, why, because even though the M4 could be easily managed, the ACR was easier so you could direct more of your attention to areas outside of gunplay, and it did more damage at range due to a later drop off.

inb4consolewhine
  10. loleator

Updated pic:

[IMG]

Yep Jag is easier to handle and will work best on most people, but if you want a challenge the lynx allows for better results if handled right.
    • Up x 1
  11. OmgWtfImba

The above would be correct in BF3, where guns have seperate left, right, and up recoil values. But recoil works differently in PS2. Every gun's recoil has a "vertical" component, which may be vertical or directed at an angle depending on the gun, and the horizontal, the left and right jittering which is always balanced. Ceteris paribus, an angled recoil is not any easier to counter, since the horizontal recoil is still there and cannot be compensated for in any gun. In actuality, angled recoils are less controllable, because they're never precise but are always directed at a random angle (i.e. between 35-45 degrees for the Lynx)

Between the Lynx and Jaguar, these are the recoil/COF charts taken from the Symthic thread here (green is ADS, yellow hip). You can see that even with perfect recoil compensation, the Lynx offers no real accuracy improvement over the Jag.

[IMG][IMG]

Note: these were taken pre-GU8, but the horizontal recoil of the Lynx was nerfed slightly more than that of the Jaguar, so the point stands.
  12. vaxx

Lynx Horizontal 0.225/0.25 one direction to the right.
    Jag Horizontal 0.225/0.275 left and right.

Now, how is the Lynx's horizontal recoil more than the Jag?

Also your graph shows either point blank spread, or someone who does know how to manage the recoil. 15m and under it does not even matter. Longer range it will make a difference. That's been my point all along.

Jag is a good carbine. So is the Lynx. As I stated to the OP, I would not get either if I could do it all over again. The Trac-5 and Trac-5S are great for just about any situation now.
  13. MarcusVitruvius

This video and the second MattiAce video showcasing the Lynx used at range ARE BOTH OUT OF DATE. If you read the title, it says Post GU-8, which these videos aren't.

TR Carbines are my expertise, I have Auraxium (read > 1k kills) in all TR Carbines and 65% of my total 57 days played has been Light Assault. I believe I may have valuable insight on this matter.

TL:DR The Jaguar is the better option because the pros of the Lynx do not outweigh the cons

JAGUAR VS LYNX THE BATTLE OF THE CQC CARBINES

Comparison The Lynx and the Jag are very similar guns. Comparing the two:
    • The Jaguar has better hipfire accuracy, a faster short-reload, and better damage at max range, and a longer max range.
    • The Lynx has faster ROF, a faster long-reload, less max horizontal recoil and slightly more velocity.
    source

Previous to GU-8 the conclusion was this:
    • Jaguar was better for hipfire because of accuracy
    • Lynx has slightly higher DPS thus better TTK, so theoretically better ADS
    • Both recoil patterns were manageable and up to personal preference/debate.
    The Jaguar and the Lynx were changed in Game Update 8 with these changes.

This recoil change has made the Lynx no longer on-par with the Jag.

Let me explain.
    The Lynx has a 35/45 Min/Max Recoil Angle.

It had the largest Recoil Angle of ALL INFANTRY WEAPONS IN THE GAME and and you just increased the recoil max and min.

It is now no longer on-par with the Jag.

Let me explain.
    Recoil The recoil patterns BEFORE GU-8 looked like this:
    [IMG][IMG]
    Again, note that this is the patterns BEFORE GU-8
    source

The old Lynx's recoil was manageable, near identical to the default Trac-5 and very similar to the majority of other guns.

Now it pulls HARD to the right, you are almost pulling horizontally more than vertically. Mostly manageable on a stationary target at close range while still, stupidly difficult against a quickly moving target while on the move.

Test it out in VR against a player sprinting around with both the Jag and the Lynx and use forward grips.

Conclusion
    • A weapon with superior hipfire, better long range damage capabilities, a faster short reload, and balanced "only hold down" recoil.
    or
    • The weapon with the overall worst horizontal recoil in the game, that kills .03 seconds faster.
    Go with the Jag.
    • Up x 1
  14. OmgWtfImba

Did you not read the post at all? Recoil does not work that way.

Jaguar has 0.3 recoil straight up, and 0.225-0.275 left and right.
    Lynx has a 0.3 recoil 35 to 45 degrees rightwards from the vertical, in addition to 0.225-0.25 to the left and right.

They're approximately equal; the randomness in the angle of the Lynx's "vertical" recoil makes up for the higher max horizontal recoil. That graph shows the bullet pattern of 10x 15 round bursts with no recoil control. We can get a good idea of the effective accuracy under controlled recoil conditions from the width of the spread, and indeed we see that the Lynx offers no benefit for that.

The GU8 comment was referring to the fact that the Jag received +.0.025 max horiz recoil, while the Lynx got +0.025 to both min and max.
  15. vaxx

Which is why I stated:

and:

Referring to the fact that since GU08, those carbines have changed....but if I HAD to pick one, between the 2, I would still go Lynx. I like the pattern. Even if it does pull hard right, I had no issues still landing more bullets on a target 50+m out, than I did with the Jag post GU08.

Except for people that prefer that recoil pattern. Except for people that like that control.
  16. MarcusVitruvius

It really comes down to trial both guns and seeing what works best for you. For the reasons I stated above, I think the Jag is ultimately the better choice for most players, and is definitely the best choice for hipfire playstyles.
  17. Manetheren

Buy Jag, almost no ADS horizontal recoil, adv laser sight for awesome jump jetting accuracy, sounds cool, looks cool, only 250 certs for the gun compared to Lynx's 1000.