Wow, Lattice is BORING

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ent|ty, May 23, 2013.

1. Vashyo

Loving the lattice, getting some PS1 vibes at times, also battles dont just disappear in minutes all of a sudden and they really FEEL like battles not just voluntary border skirmishes. :)

Though I agree we need more metagame extensions to make it more strategic/tactical. If we had Ant runs, gen holds and the whole shebang from PS1 it would be even better.

But I'm not complaining as it is, I like it better than the old system.
    • Up x 1
  2. Jogido

lol, he does have a good point. This game is about a massive fight.

that said, to your point, I think they should create a Spec Op game play dynamic that works with the lattice system. I like playing is massive battles...and I sometimes like small fights. Options are good.
  3. crazyoldfart

You guys are clueless. Every time someone mentions Spec ops or small outfit/squads you start in with ghost capping crap yet yall roll around 40-50 at a time capping bases by overwhelming them with a Zerg attack. No different than ghost capping just because 5-10 guys hang in the spawn taking pop shots. Every now and then one zerg meets another and a fight breaks out which is great.
    Same with the smaller groups taking bases. People show up to defend and a good fight breaks out. Lots of fun because "YOU" really have to fight. You can't slack off like in the big battles and hope someone else is taking up the slack. You learn to really fight in these smaller battles and learn/use tactics.
    All it does is annoy these guys to get in a big battle and realize their surrounded by people that depend on numbers to win a fight. Most can't fight for crap when it comes down to it cause they have little chance or reason to learn their classes in zergs.
    Zerg vs Zerg is avoid by a lot of leaders. The leaders don't want to take a chance on there zerg getting defeated. They just want to cap bases as quickly as possible, which is needed at times. But it's no different than ghost capping and boring as hell unless your eating supper or something.
    • Up x 3
  4. Macchus

The players who join squads and never lead are the majority , not you outfit "generals" , and not you platoon "leaders". thinking otherwise is sheer folly on your part .

i dont think ive ever heard of a succesful army that had a higher proportion of generals and other officers to actual grunts and was ever succesful . and for you to assume that these people dont know how to look at the map or read the or even use a filter , then youve got a pretty high opinion of yourself and your fellow supposed "generals " and pretty low opinion of the average player , who outnumber you "generals" quite a bit . the real reason we are not hearing from more of the average grunt type's is that they play the game fine and understand it fine , but they dont use or dont know about the forums , or cant be bothered , not because 90% of people love the lattice and dont want to speak ill of it , but because they dont make use of the forums ...
    • Up x 2
  5. Macchus

agred before the zerg rarely listened to the "leaders" now they dont have a choice and the "generals " couldnt be happier . now the zerg goes where they want most times without any input . polar opposite of how it was before . they need to find a nice middle ground . or not . because really the generals are a small small small tiny part of the ps2 population .
  6. MaceMadunusus

Not at all. I love having decent sized battles. However, forcing hundreds of players into a single area makes my CPU poop its pants because this game barely uses more than one core and relies more on the power of that core rather than anything else. My PC can handle every game I have played recently on Ultra with PhysX enabled, but because my CPU is old in comparison to my GPU it cannot handle hundreds of players in one area but handles medium sized battles fine. Sorry, if I do not want to play in at 11 FPS ALL of the time, sometimes I want to go out and have some of those small battles, even if I enjoy the large ones at that 11 FPS.

I don't care for my stats and I only have like a .7 KDR, I care about having fun while playing and having battles be very dynamic. I care about having large battles, small skirmishes, and spec ops missions because they all play their own roles. Those other roles no longer exist, and there is less options for you as a player. You can get attacked from any side kinda thing, and that just doesn't happen in lattice, its so much more predictable where the enemy or you will go next.

Playing an alert on indar earlier was a difficult battle, but it was easy to push ourself far enough forward and then defend where we were vulnerable. Our goals were to push to places like hvar tech plant where we would limit the lattice like there from 2 links to 1 so that we would only be fighting on one front but not two. We were coming from the northern warpgate position. It worked. We were able to push ourself far enough and defend just by pushing the enemy into the biggest bottlenecks I have ever seen where 2-3 squads were defending against a platoon and a half delaying the count timer to win the alert. Had there been a connecting territory next to them to move from in that area and flank us, we would have been dead and they would have won and got one of the biggest territories on Indar within the last few minutes of the alert. Thanks to that choke point, we won... and that is just stupid. Planet wide battles do not have forced choke points. Choke points are based off terrain, and surrounding structures.

Another thing we had to do earlier was simply hold the crown, because that would have allowed them into so many territories and back capped us it wasn't even funny... but there was absolutely no way for them to flank around it and the crown is still a pretty easy defense even with the moved cap points should you do it properly. Had we lost the crown in this case, everything on the east and west sides of indar would be in trouble, and lost the alert. Yet, the only decision that had and could have been made to stop that was basically "hey, theyre capping the crown, we dont want them having access to those two links"

It was so easy, so predictable it wasn't funny to plan where to go, and what to do. There was no real needed strategy as someone who just payed attention would have known what to do. Because there wasn't much movement room, we were fighting on the same bases from the same paths over and over, it was BORING. Everything was so predictable that I was getting 1.12 KDR over my .7 average KDR while going at 11 FPS. I didn't have to do **** to be good with this system.

I am, by far, not saying Hex is/was a ton better than Lattice. I honestly want a hybrid of the two, where the links are resource and connectivity lines as they are now. Except that you can still cap bases connected by hexes. The only difference is that capping bases that are only connected by hexes, and not a resource/supply line will take a bit more time than you would having it be connected. Similar to how connected/unconnected cap timers worked back when there was still influence in the game.
    • Up x 3
  7. WolfboyBravo

The Lattice system is awful. Boring. Many people have already pointed out why.
    • Up x 8
  8. Caydn

Please dont . lattice is boring , and the places you can spawn at now is even worse , all lattice is to me is herding the sheep .
    • Up x 5
  9. Kevorkian

So you dismiss the Lattice system because you haven't upgraded your cpu? I glanced over the rest of your post, saw "forced choke points". That's how major battles and battle fronts work... not the broken Hex system where over half the server population purposely avoids the opposition.

Back to your cpu issue, there's no point in upgrading a cpu for one game. Modify your options ini file, it'll help your fps dramatically. If you do it correctly, you can modify certain things to improve performance without compromising on graphical appearance.
  10. Kevorkian

And three times the people support it. Due to its success in PS1, it's here to stay. It will undergo fixes though.
  11. applepienation

Lattice is incomplete. It is a proof of concept. That being said, I still love it.
  12. WolfboyBravo

Planetside 1 was a different game. It held smaller populations that required funnelling into points. Most servers of Planetside 2, this is not the case, especially at prime time.
    • Up x 2
  13. Kevorkian

Regardless of server populations, Lattice guarantees that people are "at the front" engaging in battle, not ghost capping, not back capping. Prime Time is only a few hours in a server's 24hr clock, Lattice also guarantees that players can find sufficient large battles the 90% of playtime outside of Prime Time.

I see a reoccurring theme with people that dislike large battles. They don't like the zerg, the spam, which usually accompanies a higher rate of death. Too many AA, Maxes, Tanks, rockets, etc. These people should stop worrying about their KD, and get into the fight. If they want to have 5-10 man fights, they should try a different shooter.
    • Up x 2
  14. WolfboyBravo

I am currently following a Zerg, capping points. I am reading the forums because in the last 40 mins, I have NOT SEEN an enemy that was not boxed into a spawn point. Apparently in the hex system people were too stupid to find the glowing massive battles on the map. Now they have to connect dots. Ghostcapping was not a great issue. Continents still got conquered.

Currently you cannot cap a position if the adjacents are under being capped themselves. This is fine.

I like large battles. I really do. Just not nothing but. Variety. People are now being forcibly pushed into playing the game one way, when before there was variety. Unlike Planetside 1, there are no Silos and no Transports. If they were going to implement, piece by piece is idiotic.

Currently Alerts on the other two continents are the saving grace. But that won't last.
    • Up x 6
  15. Phazaar

Agreed with OP. Bored of re-stating this point, but I do feel that more threads saying this is the way forward. They made it to be easily dismantled. Dismantle it.
    • Up x 3
  16. Sifer2

It's not going anywhere. One needs only to log on to Indar to see that the Massive just got put back into this MMOFPS. The HEX system was a nice experiment. I was optimistic of it when it was first announced that they would be using it instead of the lattice. But after months of HEX it became painfully obvious it was a bad system. Only halfway functional at absolute peak populations. At any other time it utterly fails because it makes proper territory defense far too difficult. Simply because your enemies have far too many options of places to attack. So inevitable they just avoid you entirely to cap empty bases. You spend more time redeploying around the map than you do actually fighting. Lattice has fixed this.

As to answer the question of how to make it less boring. Add more to the metagame. Stuff like NTU's, and supply runs. More battlefield objectives that simply capturing points. Lattice has brought us the battles. Now just give us more stuff to do in them.
    • Up x 2
  17. Purg

Had the exact same experience playing my NC main last night. Between 6-12 of us at any one time on Indar during Briggs prime time. We capped bases and defended bases on the East and pushed into Camp Waterson before we were stopped by a larger TR force obviously responding to our push. The map will tell you how large a force is on any given base - choose the size fight you want!

Also played a fair bit with a full platoon as VS in my ZOE MAX. Had some excellent battles and the Platoon leader sought out large battles for us to fight in.

There will be instances where you have to deal with a Zerg but there were never multiple Zergs on all battle fronts you could choose from. Only time that won't happen is when you are warpgated - but lattice or hex makes zero difference when you're fighting back a force so close to your warpgate.
  18. cwcriner

You know what I miss? attacking Galaxy solar from the Palisade.

Seriously, **** the lattice.
    • Up x 3
  19. Chazt

I am okay with the lattice system right now but it seems that it is kind of a zergfest. I am usually with small squads and we enjoy being able to take on other squads without having to worry about 90+ vehicles ruining the fight. So I will be playing on amerish for awhile and I hope the keep lattice on indar. That way the people who want to enjoy can but the people who dont can avoid it for more spec ops play
  20. Purg

Even prior to Lattice, some of the best fights I've had have been between Crossroads and Xenotech against VS.

There are so many flanking opportunities there, it's not funny. I've been part of breaking a prolonged attack by flanking VS from around the back of Xeno from Crossroads as well as a squad coming out of TI Alloys or the Crown with AV turrets.

I've also been part of a defense where TR got on top of the mountain between Xeno and Crossroads with a small squad and smashed all armor in a 400m raduis - then they pushed in their armor and flattened the base.

Lattice isn't a force that makes you only push in one direction from one direction. There's no pain fields rolling into enemy bases that you can't cap. Nothing is stopping small squads from deploying behind enemy lines and flanking an engaged zerg. It's simply focusing the fight into fewer but still multiple areas.

I don't play Planetside to sit twiddling my thumbs waiting for a counter to flip a base while 1 pesky enemy infiltrator roams around being nothing but a nuisance. I want to participate in battles - the information we now get on bases, I can choose the engagement sizes based on how strong a platoon I have around me.