Aegis shield

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fredfred, May 23, 2013.

1. TintaBux

What the hell is that picture, load of noobs running up a hill who can get wasted in no time, show videos of it being useful.

Anyone who thinks the shield is the best max ability is just deluded from reality.
    • Up x 3
  2. Hagestol

The NC are whining and asking for proof of viability? What the chips? Burden of proof is kinda on you.

1: Its a picture of coordinated use to protect the rear medic engineers from fire and shows them taking (successfully) a hill from the opposing force.

2: no you.
  3. Goretzu

Which would be fine if there were no AOE weapons, but for any one that brings AOE against those MAXs they are just a vast amount of free kills.

The idea of being able to advance into fire would be a good one, if in fact the shield protected you from AOE from that direction, but as it doesn't all it takes is AOE to waste them like they weren't using shields and for some reason just walking and not firing. o_O
  4. Hagestol

Read what I said previously in this thread, I completely agree with that stance. It should absorb all damage from said direction.

Or not, depending on how the next weeks unfold: We've already been farmed at towers by intelligent hacksaw / shield users :p
  5. NewSith

6. Goretzu

To be honest if you're a good shot you can just aim for the feet and take them out with small arms fire if you have no AOE.

I wonder how long it'll be before aimbotters figure that one out. :eek:
  7. TintaBux

That is not proof.
  8. Hagestol

Hopefully long!

Burden of proof is on your side as you claim something is wrong with it. So no, not proof. Where is your proof that its bad? :/
  9. Ingway

Probably a cool sight to see, but not at all practical, and if the tank guy was actually smart he would use splash damage on the medic behind the max... to hit both the max and the medic, shield is utter crap if you know what to do...
  10. moooosa

Cool, how many points did those MAXes get for their efforts?
  11. Deadnewbie

We were having trouble getting the bio lab. TR had one point locked down forever. I took my Aegis max across the bridge between buildings under heavy fire. I died just as I pushed into the room but the little mass of ground troops who followed me safe behind the shield managed to break the deadlock. So in that instance I felt useful. We should be able to punch with it tho.
  12. Bape

indoors and 1v1 it useless
    outdoor it not useful there is to much splash and rear/backk is exposed you won't last long
    Can't shoot
    2 infantry can take it out
    Shotgun make it even worse with no range and crap slug
    It the worse out of the 3 max factions

anyone that says it useful compared to the 3 faction is 95% the other 2 opposing faction.
    • Up x 7
  13. Twistdlester

/agree

And dont forget about the random bugs like bulletts getting through , and not working against rockets.
    The shield is highly situational and the use of it will die off as the newness of the ability gets old
    • Up x 2
  14. Goretzu

Feet and AOE being able to freely hit needs to be fixed, I dunno if they can fix the lag/netcode issues though.
  15. Fire Works

I wasnt sure about it and had a couple very disappointing moments in bio lab fights where i was used to charge.

Then i lead an counter attack on a fully swarmed A of alloys with 15+ TR in the room. The room got cleared by people swarming after me. Was a great moment.

Its a very situational skill but the narrow doorways in the base made it a total winner there. Got 0XP for that but the team win made it worth.
  16. RykerStruvian

Exactly. It's just not right for this shield to be in the game if it pretty much requires someone to 'take one' for the team. Utter ******** in comparison to what the TR/VS get to play with.
  17. AtroposZero

NC ability is the best of the three, as far as tactical potential. It's also the most difficult to use properly, because it requires some coordination and players that have a modicum of skill.

So, yeah, take that for what it's worth. The loss of effective health or mobility for an increase in damage makes the VS/TR abilities somewhat useless (zero-sum gain) against capable opponents. A coordinated squad(s) of NC that are using Aegis properly to do point-defense or a line-push to advance across a facility kind of scares the sh#t out of me.
  18. RykerStruvian

You keep trying to validate its existence. The Aegis Shield shouldn't even be in the game. The VS and TR both get offensive abilities which are far more practical across MULTIPLE situations, we get something which actually requires other people to actually use effectively.

Tactical worthiness or not, the Aegis Shield is a really bad design choice. They should have done something completely different, or given the TR/VS Aegis Shields as well while giving NC an offensive ability which doesn't require a coordinated team.

Basically, just to be as simple as possible, TR were given a fork, the VS were given a fork, and the NC were given a spoon. Does this make sense?
    • Up x 2
  19. AtroposZero

I didn't see you disagreeing with me on the points that I made (the inherent value and combat potential of the ability.) However, you chose to argue a different point entirely, the "I don't like the spirit of this ability" issue.

Well, fine, but so what? I don't like the spirit of the Lancer and the Vortex, and would rather have had the ESRL and ES-MAI abilities that the NC/TR got, but the VS still got stuck with them anyway, so I just find situations where they're useful and apply them appropriately.

"This thing isn't what I wanted" is an entirely different argument than "this thing is not valuable."
  20. RykerStruvian

No, it's not about what I want or not want, it's about what is logical and illogical in terms of core game design and mechanics. It doesn't make sense we received a defensive capability while TR/VS get offensive ones. Why not give the NC something offensive? Or why not give the TR/VS something defensive?

Thats the argument. It isn't about not wanting or liking something, it's the simple fact that the NC gets something -entirely- different with an entirely different purpose. Also, your previous example of TR/NC is entirely irrelevant to this discussion, we're talking about MAX abilities, not HA AV weapons.
    • Up x 1