Please revert back to the original map system.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheDirge, May 22, 2013.

1. Phazaar

Speaking as someone who played PS1 from beta through to PS2's launch (about 80% of that time I held a sub, though I didn't play nearly as often through its last 5 years as the game got progressively worse and more boring)... Hilarious to even suggest it was a great game tbh. It had a single USP that allowed it to retain a very small and loyal playerbase for several years. In every sense but that, it pushed no boundaries, and won no hearts nor minds. Tiny playerbase, awful death roes, and behind-its-time combat. Really can't see a great thing about it...

Ahhh but the lattice. Now that was somewhat interesting. For about 6 months. Then all of a sudden, you realised you'd fought the same 20 battles the same few ways dozens of times, and it was stale, boring, and other games that DID move with the times were open-ended, interesting, and more competitive to boot... And that's where all the playerbase went... To other games.

Onto the fact that you've just proved my point: The reason for calling GU09 the CU of PS2 is because it's done exactly what the CU did to pre-CU SWG. It's dumbed it down, made it simpler, removed its depth and character, and done all of this to pander to other games in the genre (the only contender being PS1). So with that in mind, your response can be brought down to the same level as 'Yeah, but theme parking, levels and raid-grinding are what made WOW so good'...

To put it another way, yes, the lattice is something that (my negative opinion of it aside) is a staple of the only other game in the sub-genre. Does that mean its implementation in Planetside 2 is a good thing, or brings anything to the game that different mechanics (that don't completely water down any element of strategy/complexity) couldn't have done better with none of the downsides? No. Just like dumbing down combat, crafting, the economy, and ultimately the whole professions system were all things that were very successful in the MMORPG genre, but thoroughly ruined SWG.
    • Up x 4
  2. Phazaar

It's PR, fear, pressure from above, and the unwillingness of the playerbase to apply a blue-sky approach to anything. I'm worried for EQ3 having seen how successfully the very small group of PS1 vets have been vocally resisting any attempt to make a new, better game, instead demanding conservation and a shinier-graphics version of PS1. I know humans have an innate fear of change, but man do you see me mourning when BMW pulled the soft-top 3 series convertible and replaced it with a hard-top? 'Oh noooo, it's not at all 'classic'' - **** that. It's not going to get slashed open by some drunk ********, it's warmer in the winter, looks infinitely more masculine, and yeah, it takes up more space in the boot - but I accept that change has a price! Gamers are hilarious...

Your statement that 'this is the beginning of implementing meaningful metagame' (one that's echoed in every one of these threads) demonstrates this hilarious idea that so many PS1 vets have that the whole game of PS1 was just a shoot->respawn->shoot repetition until someone was like 'OKAY GUYS! I GOT IT. LETTUCE!!!' And that if that venerable Messiah hadn't walked in with that idea, there was no other way to implement any kind of metagame, nor will there ever be... Because when they first designed the Bicycle, with one huge front wheel and a tiny rear one, there was no way to improve that, at all, was there?

The fact that people can't even see passed the 'WHY QQ NO QQ LATTICE QQ IN QQ PS2?' to begin to build a whole new metagame, I just don't understand, and begin to find completely intolerable tbh. It begs belief, really.
    • Up x 2
  3. Spartan 117

If the Lattice system gets removed from all you ghostcappers, I'm out. Have fun capping empty bases in a game that will die.
  4. LibertyRevolution

Ok, here is my number 1 complaint with lattice...
    As TR we push south all the way to Valley storage yard and take it.
    We are now sitting at the NC warpgate, but we cannot take Old auraxium mine to the west..

We have no choice to to redploy back up to the old stockpile to push down that lane..
    So we do that and we get auraxium, but meanwhile NC start to recap valley storage.
    So we redeploy to save valley storage and get no option to go to valley storage yard as is not in our redeploy lane..

So we decide we will take copper ravine..
    But wait we have to push west all the way to tarwich, take tarwich, then we can move south east...

What were they thinking not having the ends of the lanes connect??
    So we got to toss our max suits and abandon our armor, or we have to drive back the way we came..

This is horrible..
    • Up x 2
  5. MrIDoK

It's called planning. Instead of everyone just zerging in the general direction of the enemy WG roflstomping, now you have to divide your forces into the various lanes to avoid the situation you said.
    It allows a underpopped faction to avoid a WG lock by simply running around the slow and huge zerg. Unless the zerg is organized, then the defenders won't be able to push back from the WG.
    Why not leave a squad at each end of the lanes, near their warpgate, to entrench and cover the rear of the main zerg while it caps everything else? That is the first solution that came to my mind, and it took a couple of seconds.
    • Up x 2
  6. LibertyRevolution

Because people don't want to play guard duty..
    Because the NC wont attack a spot with people at it..
    We sat at valley storage for 10 mins waiting for NC to attack, they just sat in their gate..
    We steamrolled them all the way to their gate, they had no interest in attacking us..
    I don't blame them, every tank/plane that did come out of their gate was downed in about 20 secs..
    Our choice was, sit at valley storage until VS got around to warpgating them from the west, or redeploy to fight the VS.

Have you ever seen 100 prowlers and 50 TR sunderers stuffed onto the road from rashnu to valley storage?
    I had not until today.. What would you do if you were NC looking at that?
    The TR tanks were killing each other just to push through each other, infantry getting run over, like 50 horns beeping..
    It was like rush hour traffic, but with tanks.. :eek:
    • Up x 1
  7. Bloodmyth

On Ceres finding large fights was easy, even the smaller bases that would normally have a couple of defenders hiding in the spawn room now put up a fight. It's too early to see how this will affect our game long term but finding fights won't be a problem which is what ps2 advertised I'm pretty sure it didn't boast about ghost capping ;)

I can imagine many struggling with their fps though so I hope they really concentrate on performance over the next few weeks.
  8. KeBeKeR

you kill the strategy i put money on that game for that reason strategy !!!!! please go back map system not before this update but to the old influence system when we must be on the point a b c ect + cap speed depend of influence + scu gen .... i put 100$ in last 3 month on weapon n stuf for get best n now its nerf its just a bunch of crap for the expensive price i paid for these weapon to get bull... after make me rage stop that or ill put money on other game and never buy stuff anymore exp: phobos + lasher + ursa + ranger + bulldog + the sway you add on my 6x scope on ursa i buy all these weapons for the performance power range and or utility (scope) and after mod them you push me to pay again to get better no way !!! i was preview to pay for monthly premium account + buy boost + camo ornament a lot of stuff but i decide to not put money on that game if you dont stop nerfing weapons i buy n dont stop removing strategy and functionality of this game.
    • Up x 1
  9. Darkplace

If it was between 19:00 and 23:00 GMT, NC were trying to remove the VS cont lock and the VS were defending against it. We had some epic fights down south. Might explain what you experience.
  10. DoomMaze

Slightly amended your post ...i fully agree with it now
  11. NinjaTurtle

I love the lattice
  12. St0mpy

[IMG]

this must be you then :D
  13. maxkeiser

Agree. I think they should remove lattice and work instead to improve hex (better bases, cap times, limits on back capping etc etc).
  14. maxkeiser

Agree. I think they should remove lattice and work instead to improve hex (better bases, cap times, limits on back capping etc etc).
  15. HMR85

Well, no kidding st0mpy, If I logged on and played during non peak hours at the servers lowest pop I am sure I could find a outlying point to ghost also. Really? This is your argument?

Good day sir.
  16. r1stormrider

Yeah it was fear alright. Fear that the game is going to die off since people are bored to death playing whack-a-mole. The hex promoted the playerbase to avoid eachother and capture undefended territory and/or attack a base where several ppl dumb enough to stick around are at. The path of least resistance is the preferred route of choice now for years in gaming. The hex facilitated that and it was getting ridiculous.

Its a pretty big deal when a dev team decides to scrap a system they were confident would work at first with a return to the lattice. Once again if the hex was so great why do we have the epic lattice? Because the hex is a failure. It does nothing but cause time spent in-game chasing the enemy around and around. Oh look a big fight is happening! Wow this is awesome!

Ok its over now. On to the next engagement...wait...where'd everybody go??? Oh great all that turf we took is gettin backhacked again by the same 3 idiots from earlier and we getting cut off. /sigh back to backhacking the backhackers and waitin for a bar to fill.

Also ppl have jobs with limited playtime. Guys in my outfit are no exception including myself. We, nor the rest of the pro-lettuce crowd, want to spend the limited free time in-game ******* around taking/re-taking empty bases or squashing pitiful amounts of defenders. When we log in we want WAR. ACTION. EXCITEMENT. hex does not deliver this. So why bother logging in? Oh and we get our brand of strategy and tactics too. I
    in combat and not just trying to make the map a virtual coloring book.
  17. Kenny007

I'm utterly convinced that there won't be peace around these parts concerning the new lattice until the naysayers are given content to satisfy their need to deviate from the main fight and cap unopposed (totally ignoring the fact that Esamir and Amerish are still ripe for the taking). With that in mind, I propose a new continent, one that will remain unmolested by this troublesome lattice and related updates that are focusing the fights of the mainland battles.

Continent Capusaul

This barren wasteland of a continent holds little value to the quick passerby, to those rushing off to fight the battles they were born to fight, but for those with the discerning eye, those looking to step away from all the hubbub of constant warfare, there is a real gem hidden beneath its rusty dirt.

Capusaul, once a bustling industrial giant, has been all but abandoned after unchecked industrial growth left much of the continent irreparably polluted; a thick, dark smog hangs over the dusty complexes of old. Strangely enough however, the wireless interference that forced a change in protocol to Indar conquest is not apparent here, and the 'Hex grid' layout remains in full affect here. That said, the air pollutants do a number on current generation weaponry, causing all but the most primitive of weapons to consistently misfire and malfunction. Despite its vast resources and limitless geothermal power, the main Factions have universally written off Capusaul for the mere fact that it is impossible to conduct an armed siege of the continent.

All was not lost for lonely Capusaul though, as enterprising Faction leaders found a clever use for the old hunk of rock to address the growing dissent amongst their ranks concerning the recent protocol changes on Indar. Seems many battalions had grown accustomed to encountering little to no resistance in their maneuvers and were dragging their feet regarding the mandatory strategic and tactical changes command were making; why should they suddenly be expected to fight to the death for the medals and commendations they had so readily earned in the past with little effort? Recognizing a lost cause when they saw one, Faction leaders saw fit to send these uninspired units to Capusaul rather than disband or execute them outright. It is within the confines of Capusaul that these platoons can continue their low resistance caps for their respective empires, ad infinitum.

Gameplay additions/changes

Continent creation: Capusaul (pronounced Cap-us-all) Landmass

• Capusaul will have a permanent place in the hex system.
    • Capusaul can be briefly trialed (gameplay reasons), but will become a permanent destination for a character once they've captured enough positions.
    • Capusaul's atmosphere entirely negates all known weaponry in the PS2 universe; Infantry weapons, MAX units, vehicles, all rendered inoperable. Melee remains an option for those with the sudden urge to fight.
    • Capusaul will never be continent lockable (once that is added in general)
    • No restrictions on the minimum number of people needed to initiate a cap; 1 is sufficient and they do not need to remain in the sector to complete
    • Should promote consistent, exciting ghost caps for our userbase looking to avoid the typical 'Size Matters' fights we strive to offer with core gameplay updates and additions, without losing them entirely from the community.
    • To maintain the above intent, Capusal will be a continent far larger than the current three. Unique features will be minimal, but we will strive to maintain no greater than 3 player characters per square kilometer. Low resistance here is key, and an excessive population density would interfere with the ability to conduct circular 'small squad tactics'.
    I've suggested a Roadmap addition of Summer/Fall 2013 to the devs.
    • Up x 1
  18. Phazaar

Again, the hex system did not fail, it simply never happened. They made the map and then didn't put anything in it. The lattice system in its current state causes as many problems as it solves, and more importantly, without further mechanics, is already boring the hell out of half the playerbase. Esamir+Amerish have never seen this much action since we used to manage to population cap two continents at a time.

So what we have is a system that makes some of the players happy but needs actual content and mechanics to make it worth playing.

Or a system that makes some of the players happy but needs actual content and mechanics to make it worth playing...

The lattice system is stale and by its very nature narrows strategic choice and ultimately increases repetitivity. The hex system is different to it, in that with no further mechanics, it can indeed make the game chaotic, but with the right mechanics it would put all choice in the hands of players, encouraging far more strategy than 'Okay guys, let's go to the next base...' and ensuring hundreds of different approaches for capturing a continent (or doing anything else regarding territory control were there to be other objectives).

To reiterate, the 'HEX DOESN'T WORK, MUST HAVE LATTICE BACK SO CAN SHOOT MOAH PPL' is an absolutely ******** line of argument given that we never actually advanced the hex system passed its beta incarnation (which back then, we were all very aware needed content and mechanics to make it more interesting).
    • Up x 1
  19. r1stormrider

i stopped reading after this. yeah you're right it never did happen, because it was a major fumble on SOE's part to implement it to begin with. ever since tech test we warned the dev team that it wasnt going to work. they put their confidence into it expecting it to succeed which i do not blame them for, but look how that turned out. here we are with the lattice, and tons of people are having major fun right now in-game. planetside 2 has never been this active in quite some time with the battles that we signed up for finally happening.

i keep hearing that people say that "choice", "tactics", "strategy" have been thrown out. use your map, use the filters and read it. pick the moves you want to make around the frontline and help turn the tables. you can flank, ambush, cut off reinforcements, harass the stragglers, all kinds of options are now open to you. a difference is and its a big one is that you now know where the enemy will be going. nobody is confined to one single lane, you can hop across all you like and add your weight to whatever fight is occurring.
    • Up x 1
  20. Roxputin

How about this.

One base spawns an LLU on Indar. If the LLU is successfully ran and captured in the amount of time listed, lets say 15 minutes, then the whole continent of Indar reverts back to the Hex system. Indar remains In Hex form until the next LLU is ran and captured thus reverting it back to Lattice Links.

Meta-Game ensues and both pro-lattice and pro-hex get their say so in the flow of battle on Indar.