Lattice System is game breaking

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by 0prometheus0, May 22, 2013.

1. Tasp

SpookyDodger knows what's up.
  2. Spookydodger

I totally agree with this. We were having fights over rocks in a field, for heck's sake! Fought at a ridge line, and then fell back to a tree line, and then fell back to a rock line, flanked, pushed back to the ridge line, broke through and shoved them all the way back to the nearby biolab. It was amazing!

I actually got to take cover, pop out, flank, and pick off individual soldiers from a superior position rather than running / driving for 5 minutes just to be blown up by a passing aircraft.

I felt sorry for the aircraft till I noticed they started to band together, too. Something like 20 reavers and 5 liberators and a couple of galaxies supporting an armor column.

I was just sad that it didn't happen at Vanu Archives. I would have loved to have seen that night battle from up high. It would have been breathtaking.
    • Up x 2
  3. Frosth

Can you honestly say you never experienced this before?
    This is what happens daily on a healthy server at prime time, or even pre prime time.
    And that's coming from someone only playing Esamir or Amerish.

I think this is just a patch day honeymoon.
    People log in, expect to love the lattice system because that's what they have been told to, and just attribute random events to it.
    You had those fights because it was a popular day.
    • Up x 4
  4. Patrician

The OP to me seems more of a complaint that Ghost Capping is no longer viable.
  5. The King

So much more fun. Even some of my friends who grew tired of boredom said what SOE did was great. IT made the game more enjoyable...And I agree..
  6. Clutchstep

I defended a BioLab today where the attacking force split up and took all three teleporters at once. It was quite impressive, in the span of about 2 minutes the BioLab went from being all friendly to being filled with enemy troops.

I had another instance where we were getting over-run, and so I fell to an adjacent base off the lattice to get away from the zerg and prep with squadmates so we could set up defenses. Surprise, the enemy was already there, and even though they couldn't cap the base they blew the generator and hacked all the terminals. It completely blew our plan to regroup as they actually stuck around to make sure we couldn't fix the generator and rehack the terminals.

Strategy is still here, it just doesn't necessarily involve base capping anymore. Kind of like PS1.
    • Up x 2
  7. DoomMaze

This is the type of supposed 'strategy' that most of us got sick and tired of. People like you that spent all their time running around looking for places where the enemy 'wasn't so you could cap undefended bases or make defenders play whack a mole chasing one or two infiltrators around who are just destroying generators. As soon as any kind of defence shows up you bail out of the fight, grab some galaxies and take the surrounding bases that have no defence. This is exactly why the hex system was a total chaotic mess, with everyone running around capping empty basis. Whenever a large fight started, it would last to the point where one side 'started' to lose, people like you would then take your squads off to attack 'empty' basis....the reduction in numbers would seal the fate for the rest trying to win the battle and it would be over in a short period of time. Hence we NEVER got any epic battles lasting for hours. Large fights were the rare rather than common and they usually never lasted more than 30 mins.

So the deep strategy that you 'think' existed prior to the lattice system only existed in your head, 'thinking' you're some super strategist outwitting the enemy, you were in fact, just f*****g the game up for everyone that actually wanted to fight, with your 'strategy' of running around capping empty basis.

Sorry we don't need your kind of 'strategy' in a fps game where the vast majority of people play it to actually fight the enemy!!
    • Up x 7
  8. Frosth

The three teleporter attack was possible before and is nothing impressive, and is in the realm of tactics.

The second one is "domino capping". Existed already, now there are more incentives to do it due to the new capping rules.
    Still in the realm of tactics as it answers the question "how to cap" rather than "what to cap"
  9. huller

Ghost capping requires skill? :confused:

Also, the lattice gives defenders the oppertunity to know just where that enemy tank zerg is going and can actualy prepare their base with tank mines, claymores, tanks of their own etc. Strategy is not the same as tactics, strategy is where you go next, tactics are just how you manage to take a base. This isn't ghostcapside 2, this is shootsomedudesnotwearingyourcolloursside 2.

Lattice promotes tactics over strategy.

Hex promotes relatively meaningless strategy (cutting off a base had not a single real drawback for defenders), ghostcapping and few big, consistent battles.

my 0.02 $

Edit: forgot to mention Esamir and Amerish remain unaltered for now. If you are so fond of Indar deal with it. The devs need data generated by players in order to make adjustments to the lattice system. The test server didn't have enough players on it to extensivly test this system, that is why it is only implemented on Indar.
    • Up x 1
  10. OliTF1

That's just so ****in' sad!! XD

Try Matterson's Indar with any faction during or near primetime and tell me there is room for strategy. I don't call "everyone in the platoon to the Warpgate for a Max Galaxy drop" strategy.
    • Up x 2
  11. Cab00se187

/facepalm. You do realize that they branch off into multiple directions eventually? It was getting stupid taking a base to have some random infiltrator with no business being there wait till you leave to start capping it again. Now it's a game of chess.
  12. Astealoth

yes strategy is obsolete... because tucking tail and going to the next empty base at the first sign of resistance is strategy. now you actually have to figure out a way to break enemy lines instead of just playing ring around the posie in empty bases. if you think strategy is obsolete now you never had a strategy to begin with. today was the best day i've ever had for strategic fighting. before GU09 every time i engaged the NC they all despawned and moved to an empty base. now there's no empty base where they can get any XP so they actually fight. sorry your ghost cap circle jerk is gone for indar. now you actually have to fight little boy :p
    • Up x 1
  13. Frosth

Because ghost capping is impossible with the lattice?:confused:

This was possible and easy to do in the hex system.
    Enemies, and especially zergs, are very predictable. It's just a matter of experience leading, and you'll notice the patterns eventually.

I agree with your definition, but I would expand on your conclusion saying it removes the notion of strategy.
    There is no more a question of "where to go next" as the game has it laid out for you.
    The few choices that are left are inconsequential and more of a matter of load balancing, not actual reflection.

The hex system was not good enough, not deep enough and not completed.
    It would have been a better route trying to address that rather than completely giving up on strategy.

Their branching out is inconsequential. It's not a choice of weighting pros and cons of possibilities but just load balancing troops.
    At no point is there a context where you can assign different value to different paths/possibilities.

You do realize this is even more important to do now than before?
    As you cannot cap the next territory if your previous one is contested, that infiltrator has its trolling potential maximized.

This is insulting the game of chess.
    Chess is usually used as an example of depth and breadth. Not only do you have the possibility to calculate a large amount of turns in advances(depth) with better players able to go deeper, but at each turn you have a large array of possible moves(breadth)

The lattice system has neither as you don't need to calculate anything in advance, and whenever you do have some sort of choice, it has a very little amount of possibilities.

It could be at best compared to tic tac toe, a game where if none of the opponents make a mistake, it always results in a draw.
    • Up x 6
  14. Yil

Yeah, um, except it isn't that at all. :eek:
  15. Badgerific

I'm sorry for all you guys that didn't have proper fights until now. I have no idea what server you guys are playing or wtf kind of gameplay style you guys have that you didn't have to hide behind cover, flank etc until now.... sorry but it really puzzles me 'cause it's the only thing i've been doing for last 3 months I've been playing this game.

Either you play on ghost servers or your game style is just so ****** up you couldn't find proper fights until now when lattice shoves zergs into your face? Maybe this *********** if what you guys calls strategy and tactics...

Individual skill in this game no longer seems to matter, since it's all about who brought more guns.
    Maybe this is the end goal, making the game dumbed down for all the sheeps I've seen roam cluelessly in the game and just throw them into massive fights and call it war...
    • Up x 4
  16. Memeotis

For the past 6 months, SOE have been working to balance the HEX system, but have realized that it was impossible to achieve the kind of gameplay they were hoping to create. Now they have created a new foundation; a new starting point. Now SOE needs a little time to evaluate the impact of this system, and they can begin to integrate additional mechanics that help shift the effectiveness between Numbers vs. Tactics in favor of tactics.

I've been saying this for quite some time now, and I've even tried to come up with some ideas myself on how they could give more power to people who choose to organize themselves.

These are not really suggestions, but rather ideas I hope to present to SOE to get them thinking - hopefully about something they hadn't already considered. In other words, I'm not looking for feedback on this video - I am merely hoping to inspire people like yourself to instead start to think of additions to the lattice system (which I think is far superior to the previous one) rather than request a return to a broken one.
  17. lilleAllan

For the first time in Planetside it was actually easy to find decent fights yesterday. It was so odd, not having boring downtime constantly. I commend the lattice system.
  18. Spookydodger

I experienced it before, but very very rarely. One time I got to take part in an armor battle that had something like 30+ MBTs skirmishing over a battle line. A few times I've been engaged with large forces.

However I think there's a big difference: the cause. The previous massive battles were USUALLY because two zergs accidentally bumped into each other. Most of the time while in a platoon, the leaders would pull us out to attack poorly defended areas to cut off an advance, because it wasn't worth it to go up against another force head to head. Now there's often little choice. Those zergs / outfits are set on collision courses right form the start.

Were there more people available because of the new patch and such? Of course. And of course there is still room for small units and specialized outfits to go off the rails and not attack from the direction the lines say. And of course there will be problems that are discovered. However, I think that for the time being Lattice + Alerts will do a lot to concentrate the battlefield while still allowing intelligent units to help shake things loose.
  19. Frosth

That's the thing, there are no ways to improve the lattice that doesn't revert it back to the hex system.

But that's also why the lattice system "works", because it is dead simple. But it's also why it is a bad system.(which doesn't mean not fun)
    There is nothing they could remove from it to make it simpler, and nothing they can add to it without reverting.

I'd rather have a broken system than a bad one.
    But this is irrelevant as we should all try to strive for a good non broken system.
    A system number 3 that improves on the game rather than reduce it.

I have attempted to answer that question myself, link in my signature, but as you, it's meant as an inspiration to discuss for the community/devs.
  20. Spookydodger

It's time for small squads to act like small squads from things like Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, not the A-Team.

I understand that there are more popular games by number. Twilight movies, especially the last one, broke all sorts of box office records. Is there a movie that you like better than Breaking Dawn Pt 2? Do you want ALL movies to be like Breaking Dawn Pt 2 since clearly it is one of the most successful movies?

There is room for diversity, and just because more people do X doesn't mean that Y isn't viable or in fact *better* for people who prefer Y.

John is one of the most popular male names in North America for a reason. It doesn't mean everyone should be named John.
    • Up x 1