Desync and me?? Do I have it and how to avoid it??

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Knarfis, May 20, 2013.

1. Knarfis

Hi guys, I could really use your help.

Here are the symptoms; there would be times where I would:

* fire 15 of my 30 rounds into an enemy before they die and without missing them. This is most noticeable when I sneak up on someone and they dont know I am there
    * unload 40 rounds into an enemy at almost point blank before they realize I am shooting them, only for them to turn toward me and take me down so fast that its like I have no armor loaded. The death screen shows I didnt put a single bit of damage to them.
    * Point my healing tool at a body only for the beam to go 90+ degrees in a different direction toward someone else that is near the dead body.
    * Run over several people with a flash or Lighting only to not get any credit for hitting them, yet be feet from an enemy vehicle and die to it by getting run over.
    * Throw a grenade out a door only for it to bounce off the door sill and back into the room to which I am standing.
    * Be killed so far and with so little rounds that its like I have no armor on my character.
    * Run slow and/or become so effected by bullets from the enemy that we are back to the way it was when the flinch mechanics where in place. It would be as if I was walking toward cover.
    * Hide or take cover from enemy rocket fire only to be killed in the middle of the room and no where near the door way.
    * Be killed by tank round in the middle of a building with several walls between myself and the outside of the building.
    * Be killed by someone who is shooting his gun, not at me, but it shows I was killed by his knife.
    * See enemies bounce or glitch around as I fire at them. I know they are trying to dodge my shots and that isnt the issue. The issue is that while they are doing this they are "blinking"
    * Deal with delayed healing and/or revival of other players. What I mean is it would take an abnormal amount of time to administer the heal or revive.

Yet there are other times when the opposite happen, for instance:
    * Drop an enemy in 6 to 8 shots.
    * Dodge many rounds fired at me.
    * Be able to get into cover very quickly and with very little damage taken from the enemy.
    * See an enemy crystal clear with no "blinking"
    * Revive people/heal people very fast.

I have searched out other peoples post about the desync issue and I have even found some video's on the subject. These videos are not exactly what I am experiencing. They seem to be much, much worse. These video's show signs of the character being in multiple places at one time. I cant say I have experienced any of these symptoms which makes me wonder if I am having a desync issue at all or if it is something else.

This game does not have any type of "stat box's" like some other games have that monitor and show you your connection health to the server and overall throughput. I know we have an FPS monitor which I am typically in the 45fps range. Not sure if more is needed since we can only see and comprehend 30fps so any more would be wasted. I could be experiencing lag, but what I have listed above seems to way more then lag. But if it is then I seem to have a really bad problem here. It is not a computer issue as my hardware is by no means subpar being that I custom built it.

Any kind of help or insight would be greatly appreciated from the community or even the devs. I am coming to my wits end on this and the issues seem to get worst and worst as I play. I have no problem admitting that I am not a very good player but these issues seem to go beyond my skills within the game.

Knarfis
  2. tigerchips

You might be better off trying a different game.
  3. Vachek

Can you give some information on your computer and operating system? I've been trying to find common ground in hopes of tracking down the issue myself.
  4. VikingVR

I've experienced what you've written up here but at a lesser incidence during a couple of alerts with over 400 people engaged in a bio-dome. Some, I attribute to just sheer server lag. Medics can't revive or heal, or if they heal, the health reverts back to the damaged state. Engineers drop ammo packs that go unused even though you have several characters standing around it empty or near empty. Bead a guy down sight that's stationary at say a range of 20 meters, empty clip into him and they don't die, but the guy next to you takes two shots and drops them.

When I'm just out and about, say platoon vs platoon, I very, very rarely see any of these issues. That's why I point the finger primarily at server lag. It could be client lag to an extent as well but its hard to judge without the proper diagnostic tools (network port being mirrored to another port connected to a packet sniffer). If you are on cable broadband and you believe the issue is on your end, you might be experiencing something called cable modem flap. Contact your cable company and ask them to check your connection for excessive flap or flapping. A single check is not good enough, you need to have it checked over several days (during your peak usage window).

Check your network jitter (packet delay variation). Check it out with http://www.pingtest.net/. If you have a high jitter, contact your service provider and escalate the service request up to a tier 2 or tier 3 support to look into it.
  5. Knarfis

Wow that is helpful, and the point of your response was what??

Sure I can
    I am running WIndows 7 64bit pro
    Asus Sabertooth 990 FX AM3+ Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II 970 x4 black edition Processor
    8 GB Corsair Vengeance ram
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6870 graphics card

I run a dual HD setup with a large storage HD where games and other items are found, Then I run a smaller SSD for just Windows. I set it up this way so paging will be much faster when running games. As you can see, my system is no slouch here. It does not have the must up to date gear and at the moment the only bottle neck I really have is a kinda old CPU. But it is not a bad CPU by any stretch.

Did you test and had a jitter of 6 going from phoenix to LA and a jitter of 7 going from Phoenix to NY. I have no idea if that is good bad, high or low.

As far as your report, its odd that your symptoms only happen when dealing with huge populations. Yet mine happen at random and does not relate to any thing to do with population at all. Hell if I was dealing with the same stuff as you then I would have no issue saying its a lag thing. But its clearly not the case when this could happen at any time for me.

Knarfis
  6. LibertyRevolution

What you are describing sounds like lag, not desync.
    If you had desync the objects on your minimap would be warping all over the place.

Are there others sharing your internet connection?
    Streaming videos while playing?
    Have you rebooted your router lately?
  7. Knarfis

Live alone, wireless is locked down to any outsiders, everything is closed and I have nothing running while the game is running. Rebooted the router?? Well I tend no needing to unless I have a connection issue on my side of things. As a student of networking I have never heard of having to reboot routers unless something has gone wrong with the router to where a connection is severed
  8. LibertyRevolution

Sometimes my router gets messed up and one of the pc on the network feels like it is being netlimited or having its priority dropped.
    Transfer rates will drop to <1mb sec from the effected computer, running speedtest shows no slow down from any of the PC on the router.
    It can effect any of the pc on the network at random, and doing reboot on the router will fix it.
    I blame my cheap router.. TP-Link WR1043ND, that is why I tossed that idea out there.

Since your a networking student, any clue why my router will flake out like this like once every 2 months?
  9. Vachek

So far the commons are win7 and asus motherboards. I heard tell of a bug with windows 7 and 8 where the OS offloads process's to another core while still in use, to me this sounds like a possible cause for a desync.
  10. LibertyRevolution

The problem with the asus motherboard is a VRM overheat on overlocking.
    The overclock feels and acts stable, but the VRM overheat causes the cpu to downclock.
    It goes unnoticed in most games, but this game goes all wonky if your CPU clocks change..

He has an Asus Sabertooth 990 FX AM3+ Motherboard, it has heatsinks on his VRM, he should not be effected by this problem.

Windows 7 can downclock your CPU if your power options are not set on high performance.

He has an AMD Phenom II 970 x4, so it does not have AMD turboboost like the X6 or the A8, so he should not have that problem.

If you want to test your system for the desync:

Grab a copy of CPU-Z grab a copy of Prime95.
    Test windows 7 downclocking: Run cpu-Z, do nothing, watch for clock speed change.
    Test for VRM overheat: Run prime95 stress test maximum heat with CPU-Z open, let it run for like 10mins, watch for cpu downclock.

Had this problem on my Asus M3A78-CM x2 555 machine, it does not have heatsinks on the VRM and it was overheating them.
    Mobo temps never get above 45ºC yet it was overheating the VRM, there is no temp monitor on the VRM.
  11. Knarfis

My learnings come on the enterprise side of things so home networks I am still pretty green. I run a Cisco Linksys router/switch, modem combo and I get these little hipups sometimes too. But I have learned that its more on the ISP side of things and not on my side. From what I have learned from school I have often wondered how internet is dealt with at homes. That is how the IP addressing is dealt with from the home to the ISP. Is it static or is it on a dynamic basis where DHCP is invovled?? If there is a DHCP situation then it would make sense that every two months you would get into some kind of issue as your IP address has expired. But with that being said, the renewal process is instant and it would only require a restart of the router or most so the host to get everything back in order. As far as what I have mentioned here with my random cutouts of service it just seems that there is some kind of fault on the ISP side of things and it is always fixed within a few hours to a 12 hour period of time passing.

One thing of note on your issue specifically, cheep routers / modems, tend to overheat and simply shut themselves down. I had that issue with my first modem when I switched from dial up to broadband ( I was real reluctant back then so I was behind the norm of everyone else.)

Bottom line, when it comes to ISP and home equipment I really do not know much outside of my own research. So anything I have said could be completely wrong. I by no means want to lead you in the wrong direction, outside of the overheating subject. That I do know for sure. :)
  12. Knarfis

Well, the fact is that the majority of the players here on PS2 are running windows 7. Yet it is a very small handful (at the moment) that are complaining about these issues. So could it really be a Windows 7 issue?? You said that another constant is the ASUS MB, so there might be the issue right there. Now to identify why it might the issue. Wonder if its the chipset drivers? I remember when I first got my first Sapphire ATI card they recommended that I update the chipset drivers. Back then I was running a Gigabyte MB.

The mystery continues.....

Knarfis
  13. LibertyRevolution

Check my post #10, VRM overheat, and test for it. That is what is a majority of the Asus board problems are..
    Google Asus VRM overheat.. you will get like 1,000 results. :(

If your getting it on a sabertooth board.. that will be the last nail in the coffin for this Asus mobo fanboy...
    I have 3 Asus boards here and 2 of them VRM overheat when overclocked...

I still think it sounds like lag.. desync you see others warping, and icons on the minimap go wonky:

Let me go over this 1 by 1..

* fire 15 of my 30 rounds into an enemy before they die and without missing them. This is most noticeable when I sneak up on someone and they dont know I am there
    Other guys client Lag.
    He was dead in 8 rounds, but the time it took his client to register to the server you blew off 15.

* unload 40 rounds into an enemy at almost point blank before they realize I am shooting them, only for them to turn toward me and take me down so fast that its like I have no armor loaded. The death screen shows I didnt put a single bit of damage to them.
    Other guys client Lag.
    His client didnt get the memo that he is dead, yet his client told the server you were dead, cant trust life on killscreens.

* Point my healing tool at a body only for the beam to go 90+ degrees in a different direction toward someone else that is near the dead body.
    Server Lag.
    This has been buggy whenever there is many people in 1 place.

* Run over several people with a flash or Lighting only to not get any credit for hitting them, yet be feet from an enemy vehicle and die to it by getting run over.
    Normal.
    They are not where they appear to be, aim for where they will be in .3secs, not where they are on your screen.

* Throw a grenade out a door only for it to bounce off the door sill and back into the room to which I am standing.
    Normal.
    Nade physics in the game leaves a lot to be desired.

* Be killed so far and with so little rounds that its like I have no armor on my character.
    Other guys client Lag.
    See Number #2

* Run slow and/or become so effected by bullets from the enemy that we are back to the way it was when the flinch mechanics where in place. It would be as if I was walking toward cover.
    No clue..
    Bullets don't effect my movement speed at all when running for cover.

* Hide or take cover from enemy rocket fire only to be killed in the middle of the room and no where near the door way.
    Other guys client Lag.
    See number #2

* Be killed by tank round in the middle of a building with several walls between myself and the outside of the building.
    Exploit/glitch.
    Things that don't render don't stop bullets.. this goes for shields and walls..

* Be killed by someone who is shooting his gun, not at me, but it shows I was killed by his knife.
    Normal..
    What you see is not what other guys see on his screen.

* See enemies bounce or glitch around as I fire at them. I know they are trying to dodge my shots and that isnt the issue. The issue is that while they are doing this they are "blinking"
    ADADA macro user or their client has bad lag..

* Deal with delayed healing and/or revival of other players. What I mean is it would take an abnormal amount of time to administer the heal or revive.
    Server lag.
    Handled server side.. game can't keep up when busy.

I don't think you can do anything about most of these issues..
  14. tigerchips

My point is... there's no fix for desync, I have tried everything to stop it, I have lost my patience with it and i'm really pissed off. Give your money to someone else until they fix it.
  15. Vachek

I agree that the majority of the PS2 playerbase is running win7/8, but the version being used is still pertinent. I've learned over the years the problems are not often as east as just "A' but rather "A" in combination with "B' and "C" cause the end result.

Something you said perfectly really makes me worry. "Yes it is a very small handful (at the moment)". There have been numerous different threads posted by different people, the largest thread in the support forums was the desync thread, yet I don't see them with frequency that I did before. At first I thought they must have resolved the issue, but now I am starting to think that like me, people suffered this same bug since GU2 have just left the game in frustration which is why we don't hear from them anymore.

I think SOE may have missed the boat and hurt themselves by not dealing with this. Look at it another way, the game were a car that was suffering from an odd problem. The company didn't deal with the problem and months later you suffer the same problem and learn all those that had the problem prior to you, got rid of that car. The company can try to fix the problem now, but with so few people now driving that problematic car, it will be difficult to find the problem.

I want PS2 to succeed, but I have watched my outfit go from fielding platoons to a couple squads. People have left the game for one problem or another, and fixing their problems now is rather moot. If SOE continues to ignore these small problems, they will add up.

I have to say this, Asus is probably the best mobo manufacturer in the world, has been for many years. They put out top rated boards over and over again. I have been doing this a very long time (business owner for nearly 15 years) and I have built, sold, and used Asus boards for all that time (as well as others of course). I have had one board fail from bad caps, and pretty much anyone that remembers the capacitor fiasco nearly every company had boards with bad caps for about 3-6 months.

If you are overclocking your system, there is the problem. Just because the board was designed for you to overclock doesn't mean overclocking wont' hurt it. I'm not calling you out, i'm just saying most people that overclock accept that you are inherently running hardware harder than it is intended, expect failure. If you buy two ferraris, drive the first normal, run the piss out of the second, is ferrari making bad cars because something breaks on the second? Just saying :)[/quote]
  16. Roamcel

Thanks OP for the detailed description of your problem.
    They are IDENTICAL to the ones I randomly experience.

Sadly while most of the times the cause is "lag", many times it's plain and simple cheats or exploits.
    Those players that are 'hard to kill' are the ones that will land multiple consecutive headshots on you while strafing or hip firing.
    You can tell thanks to the recently added audio effect. The "Ting" you hear is a headshot. Normally, you can roughly land 1 headshot out of 10 shots, -on an immobile target- due to weapon design and cone of fire.
    When you shoot one 'invincible' target and he doesn't take the damage he should, you can be almost sure he'll land multiple consecutive headshots on you, regardless of you dodging or running or jumping.
    So basically, report without prejudice.

By the way, the times -you- survive and you wonder how, that's supposed to be NORMAL.

Additionally, if you want proof of this, you can log into MILLER. Miller is -infested- with cheaters, due to the european population in general, and russians being sadly very famous for producing and using cheats.
    That, and the fact the very miller server and prosiebensat are garbage, will immediately let you know that there's nothing on your side that can be done.

For example, I have a gaming internet connection with which I perform extraordinarily overseas and in other games, yet I barely reach a 1.4 k/d on Miller.
  17. Koroz

I just want to touch on this part here because you are wrong. If you have been doing this for 15 years you should know that the only things that matter are voltage and heat. If you are running clean voltages at under the reference danger points for heat, you are no more taxing your system then a person running under the same conditions at the lower clock speeds.

Overclocking when done properly, with proper cooling and testing using the suites available will be as stable as a non overclocked system across the board. This is a fallacy that people like to perpetuate that just because you increase the base multiplier on a piece of hardware you are all the sudden "Stressing it". When it's stressed you will know from heat and crashes running the test suites designed to push your system, not from a random crash in one or two apps that can't be reproduced with the same amount of workload on a regular basis..

Having said that, if you are willy nilly about overclocking, you don't run at least a 24+ hour cycle of stress testing, while checking temps and voltage you will crash your system. Not if, just when. Because heat is the number #1 killer of computer components, overtime long periods of heat "bake" your boards and make them brittle and very easy to break the leads in and out of your pcb's. If you do this, its throwing money away.
  18. Vachek

Im not going to get into an arguement here, but im not wrong, you said so yourself. Voltage and heat is what kills components, thats exactly what you are doing by design when you overclock, increasing voltage and generating more heat, ipso facto. Yes you can cool the components allowing you to push more voltage through them, thus generating more heat, even super cooling with with liguid nitrogen has pushed chips towards the 10Ghz mark, but they are stressed and short lived nonetheless.

Are you familiar with how Intel and AMD make processors? How they are rated? They don't roll off an assembly line as a i7 3770k or FX 8350. The chips are essentially "overclocked" to find the chips stable operating point. All parts are overclocked to a point to test their stability at a desired level.

Yes there are right and wrong ways to overclock, but in the end you are still stressing those components beyond their design point.
  19. Koroz

The act of increasing voltage does not decrease lifespan of pcb or components unless they exceed the safe operating values given by the manufacturer. Heat associated from the increase in voltage CAN if the cooling is not sufficient. Stress is only achieved when heat is not displaced otherwise if the chip is running at the reference temps the actual "voltage" in demand is not enough to lower the quality of life of your pcb or chips. Most I5-I7 chips are given reference MAX voltages and any overclocking guide you read will tell you not to exceed those voltages or risk damage to your cpu. Even normal cpu running at lowest clock with no cooling produces heat, that doesn't mean its being stressed.

Also, If you aren't here to argue then stop, because you are passing off wrong information. I know you are doing it for the right reasons, but misinforming people on how pcb's work, how they tolerate heat and voltages is not the answer, giving them the correct way to do it and the fail safes to use to prevent damage is.
  20. Xander Payne

If you had a gigabyte board I would have said uninstall easy tune 6. As soon as I got rid of it from the suggestions of someone else I quit getting this issue. Not sure if ASUS has a similar type of software that might be causing some of your issues. Though a few of them sound like server side lag to me