Discuss how dual pistols cld work

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by EViLMinD, May 17, 2013.

1. ArcKnight

I can't wait for dual wielding the shotgun pistols

also do I have to buy that pistol twice in order to dual wield it ?
  2. EViLMinD

Not sure why you're being sarcastic. It was SOE who stated that they were considering akimbos for LA. I just started this thread because I'm curious what people have to say about how it could work. Who knows. Something said here may help the devs. Over the years, I've seen plenty of game forum suggestions make an impact on development.

Anyway...

If 2x commissioner proved to be OP, and accuracy/recoil nerfs weren't enough (though I can't see how it wouldn't), the dual wield ability might need to limited to just the lower dmg pistols.
  3. Terrarion

2x magshot is pretty good... 2x repeater is wow XD
  4. EViLMinD

We'll have to wait and see.

Nevertheless, knowing SOE my guess is that the second default faction pistol will be free but a second copy of all the other pistols will require unlocking with SC or certs.
  5. haldolium

Anyone remembers the akimbo Enforcers from Unreal Tournament?

Thats how I like it best.

Both had different firemodes (with ghetto-aiming for OGs!!!1 - rather stupid, but actually did gave an awesome feedback) depending on which mouse button you used. Also, if timed correctly, you could shoot both at the same time. However given the MAX akimbo ability, I guess anything further down that road would be equal. Which is close enough.

All in all, freedom is what matters to me. Contrary to what CS does for example, where you pretty much have one gun with an extended magazine because they cannot be used simultaneously. That sucks for akimbo.

Though after the SMGs and more Shotguns, it is really hard to find a class for that or a general place tbh. I do think they'd fit best for the infi or LA, though neither would give up the shotty or smg for two pistols I guess...
  6. Messaiga

Dangit! You stole my thoughts right from me about dual wielding shotgun pistols, but still yes this would be very fun assuming that one pistol kills in 2 shots. Wait.......... this sounds like something we already have........ I think if this happens we are going to have flying ScatMax's.
  7. EViLMinD

Dual Scatter-shots. I can see the VS and TR QQs now. It's gonna be beautiful.

Of course, VS and NC will be whining about the TR's dual auto-pistols.

The VS... well... they'll just perch themselves in high, out of the way places and dual charge snipe.
  8. Messaiga

So from what I understand, Dual Scatter-shots + 2 C4 and a grenade or more when only holding 1 pistol. This shall be brilliant, maybe even more powerful than the Pump Action Shotgun + Revolver + 2 C4 because of the higher ROF and faster reload of the Shotgun Pistols.
  9. Canaris

whoa there nelly, you got the wrong end of that stick, no sarcasm in that post or I'd have used the sarcastic smilie, I'd love to be able to dual wield with my LA, I've had great fun in F.E.A.R., CS & action Half Life using it. nothing like popping off pistol rounds like your in a John Woo movie to get the blood flowing :D
    and I really did tweet the idea to Jimmy Whisenhunt about this thread, he's another big CS fan, he'd understand ;)
  10. ArcKnight

we are on the verge of a scientific break through in Scatter MAX technology

this will be the first time in history where an NC MAX can carry C4 and fly

thee NC will now have 2 types of MAX units meaning we will have 6 classes and a combo class ( LA + MAX )
    • Up x 1
  11. lilleAllan

In Killing Floor, one of guns fire slightly off center, so you have to compensate between shots. Also it's considerably harder to see where your bullets are going when ADS since you're not looking down an iron sight. Basically dual pistols are better in CQC but worse at accuracy, while still leaving room for a skilled user to excel with them. I usually just use one pistol but ofc the weapon balance is way different.
  12. Rickenbacker

Work? It wouldn't! In-game it would be like the world's worst mini-max, with two tiny popguns.
  13. Messaiga

You forget, we NC will get Scatter-Pistols at some point, and there are already revolvers. Dual-Wielding Scatter-Pistol's + 2 C4 and a grenade will cause much more rage than the NC Max ever did.
    • Up x 1
  14. YesNoGenius

They could say that the recoil for 2x commissioner is too big so that's why they can't use it to dualwield. If both shots land they'd 1shot people. So hello shotgun #2.
  15. EViLMinD

I'm guessing that the Scatter-shot pistol might deliver a blast like the UB shotty. If so, it will have to be balanced with a long reload. This will make the reload for a dual wield twice as long. Therefore, any NC LA that uses them will have to make their shots land or they're effed. It will be extremely potent in cq but a major liability if there are multiple enemies about.

This is all pure speculation, though. The Scatter-shot could be designed several different ways. My hope is that it's like a sawed off double barrel. I want two rnds per reload with a 3.5 spread.

As for dual revolvers, it does seem like they'd be difficult to balance. That first double hit will be a problem. Even if only one revolver can be used in conjunction with a semi, it will still be a big hit.

Should accuracy be lowered while dual wielding? I think this might be the way to balance things. Just like in real life, firing two guns at the same time is extremely difficult to aim properly. If PS2s akimbo ability came with a heavy loss to each guns accuracy, it'd be reason for a player to swap to each gun individually (and so they can ADS). Ya, I think the first shot accuracy nerf is the way to go. It might make the use of high-capacity pistols more appealing because they'd be better for bullet spam. The big hit pistols will need the LAs to get much closer.
  16. Iridar51

Not obvious to me. Why the fact that you're holding the pistol with one hand would make you to be unable to ADS?
    [IMG]
    That's the closest thing in real world you could get to dual-wielding, and it seems to me that this soldier can ADS just fine, if he would so desire, perhaps not with both guns, but still, it would different to firing from the hip.

EDIT: Didn't read closely enough, it seems that you're proposing to fire one pistol with LMB and the other one with RMB.

Still, no reason to make it some other button, like tertiary fire.
  17. Dasparian

Drawbacks to dual-wielding pistols
    -1st shot multiplier issues result in horrible accuracy.
    -Probably can't knife when both hands have guns.
    -Switching from dual-wield to anything else realistically would take forever. Who knows in-game.
    -Most pistols aren't reliable outside of close range.
    -Potentially expensive cert path if you have to buy+cert left-hand weapons as well.

Benefits
    -High dps output.
    -Potentially unending stream of bullets if you cycle reloads.
    -1HKO with dual Commissioners?
    -Rule of cool, mother****ers.
  18. Wolfwood82

Games need a sense of consistency, the world generated in the player's head will always be a simpler version then reality itself. However without that sense of consistency, the game quickly fails and dies. This was the major breaking point with the BFRs actually, the game became horribly inconsistent with the progressively more powerful vehicle requiring a progressively more complicated spawn point and being limited on the battlefield.

Tanks required tech plants, AMSes required AMP stations, Galaxies required Dropship Centers, BFRs required nothing. Galaxies required specific spawn pads at specific bases, BFRs required specific spawn pads but these could be found at every base. Finally tanks and other vehicles could be certed into and that was the end of it. BFRs required extensive grinding in the caves (a gimmick to promote cave fighting which itself was a dying ordeal) and a special ceremony after the grind to get the actual ability to use the damn things. This pissed people off immensely as after the first 2 or so weeks of massive cave fights while people surged in to get the certs, the caves returned to being virtually barren and it became really hard to get a BFR cert.

The simple fact is basic rules of reality are easier to understand then making up random ******** rules to try and cover the gaps in your game. Would have been a lot easier to just assume that tech plants would be the only places where BFRs could be spawned at, being the likely places where they were made. Would also make a lot more sense that instead of requiring a special implant and complicated ceremony in the caves, you just needed to cert a unique armor type in order to pilot/gun the things. Far easier methods of controlling the BFR population (not to mention more effective), and they are based on logical thought derived from realistic scenarios.

In reality, those "witless people" are the ones who are actually correct. People like you use this kind of logic to try and bend things to your own liking more often then not. If it does not feel right, it's not right, basic rule of game development.

You realize that's a cheesy home made costume right? I guarantee you that if he tried firing like that, he'd be breaking bones. As someone who has fired a few pistols of varying caliber, I know from personal experience it takes 2 hands on the gun to retain any level of accuracy unless it's a .22 or something weak like that. Even then, your accuracy is severely hampered and you will always have a tendency to view down one sight at a time unless you are really good at hip firing pistols.
  19. Skadi

Lol Dual Wield silenced repeaters... that is all.
  20. EViLMinD

I'm no gun expert nor do I care to be. I'm a video game nerd. I see action flicks... and how the MAX dual wields... and I think that it would be cool to have such a feature on the regular classes (or, at least, the LA).

Dual wielding MUST use the L and R mouse buttons. It's the right way to control two guns. I'm always disappointed when games let you dual wield yet not allow you to control which gun fires when. I'm playing Max Pain 3 and I'm quite disappointed that I can't fire each gun separately but I can mix and match what guns I carry in each hand. Design fail.

Allowing ADS while dual wielding would require a new key to activated. I don't like that. It's irritating enough how UB attachments mess up my hotkeys. Besides, I'd rather just swap to a single pistol if I want better aim.