Unbreakable NC MAX Shield

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chiss, May 18, 2013.

1. Chiss

After using the Shield quite a lot, i feel it serves pretty much no role. Although fun to use, it rarely gives you any advantage.

I feel its weakness is that it breaks too easily. It gets broken from 2 carbine clips. This makes it useless for pushing defended positions, which i believe was meant to be its role?

It can be used to block explosives pretty well, if you are looking at the source of the explosion. This means you can block tank shots fairly well, if they are hitting you directly. However, it's very easy to just shoot the ground beside Shield MAX and completely bypass the shield. So it's not very useful here either.

I personally feel the Shield should never break. This would actually give it a viable gameplay role, other than just trolling people in 1v1 fights against infantry. In no way would it be overpowered, considering you are slow, vulnerable from most directions, and unable to shoot - not to mention the slow/clunky animation for turning Shield on/off.

I think the breaking mechanic was brought over from PS1, however it is no longer required, as the PS1 was a complete shield from every direction.
    • Up x 1
  2. Jrv

It's honestly a pretty trash ability, it's only use is in massive numbers with MAXes that alternative covering each other in defensive positions. Certainly not as fun as being a mobile turret or a super saiyan lobster.
  3. Zamos

Dont worry , Higby will take care of NC
    • Up x 1
  4. Chiss

Which will happen never.
  5. Chubzdoomer

I'm still not sure just what the hell the shield's purpose even is. Sure, when it's equipped the MAX can push up a little bit. And ... ? It just doesn't seem very useful to me, especially since the MAX can't shoot with it up. I suppose blocking tank shells, like you said in your original post, is one of the few uses it might actually have since it could potentially keep you alive longer against threats like tanks. But if you're up against a competent tank driver, you're probably screwed regardless whether you have the shield or not.
  6. Gunho

Makes sence, first nerf the scatcannons into the ground then back it up with a fairly useless ability to keep it in sync with the TR and VS max damage output... err wait i think i'm confused....
  7. Antreya

This ability would be so much better if using it simply disables 1 of the arm weapons on the MAX, as well as the design of the shield being greatly improved. I've seen testers of it say it needs to be solid because people just run through it and C4 you, it doesn't protect very well at all due to hit registration, as well as it makes the MAX slower which is already a big fail as it is.

Seems the shield needs to be solid, protect completely, and just disable 1 arm for it to be any sort of real useful compared to the other abilities, especially ZOE.
  8. Chiss

Yeah, people can just run through you. It makes using it against even one infantry difficult.

I'd like the shield to be a bit wider (so its harder to shoot explosives at the ground next to the MAX) too.
  9. Van Dax

But that would be ludicrous, then they'll just mattock snipe behind invulnerability shields. Yes it should be impervious though, but put it on a 60 seconds maximum timer i think.
  10. Antreya

The shield doesn't last. Currently with its HP amount (10,000 last I heard after changes) 2 or 3 people firing can break the shield in less than 3 seconds easy. All those problems along with its pitiful HP and 0% damage resistance to small arms is what is making it such a laughing stock of an ability, which in truth it is.
  11. Chiss

I'd like it to be invulnerable, but it uses energy while active, like cloaking. 30 seconds at max level would be good.
  12. Ghosy01

wait 2 carbine clips? thats 60 + bullets how is that not usefull
    • Up x 2
  13. Van Dax

sounds fine to me.
    • Up x 2
  14. Antreya

It's why I say the shield should be both solid, and should shield you completely like an HA shield. Making it like this would mean it protects even with the hit registration problems, as well as prevent any lagging child from running through it and C4'ing you. Ontop of this it also means the same thing for allies, so for it being actually good, it'd also mean it would block allies as well so it used wrongly would severely hamper your allies. This is the kind of design and weakness that actually makes sense and makes the ability actually not a pathetic joke that it is right now on test.

The shield also really needs resistances. It being able to be broken like nothing, especially if more than 1 person is shooting it with just carbines shattering it in 3 seconds flat is just pitiful really.
  15. Chiss

Because while you're getting absorbing these two clips, you cannot do anything in retaliation, and people can C4 you, or shoot rockets at you, or just shoot you.
  16. Chiss

Thank you, friendly Vanu scum.
  17. WalrusJones

News: Captain America (With a shotgun,) and Goku dual it out all over Auraxis while man stands still.

More news at 11:00
  18. Kaon1311

So you want to be able to shoot and absorb bullets?
    TR lockdown, increase reload and rof, downside cant move.
    VS zoe, increased damage, downside take more damage (or has this changed again?)
    NC sheild, can absorb incoming damage but cant retaliate.

Seems fair.

Sheild, close gap to cqc, drop sheild, shoot, profit, sheild, close gap to cqc...........

People are not happy unless the weapon/ability is severly OP.

NC max, with sheild will own even more in CQC. Downside to scatmax, poor at distance, now you have an ability to close that gap, while absorbing the damage.
    • Up x 2
  19. Stew360

No he will not actually i doubt higby care even a little about the NC to be honest , havent seen him taking care of NC like you seams to assume

NC is still the strugling faction in term of almost everything despite the TR and VS always complaining that they are lol

For somones who have fairly tested every single factions and stuff i can say that VS = Easymodes TR = efficiency NC = Screw up in most aspect
  20. Stew360

Actually the NC shield will be a gimmick for the most part because

Splash damage will affect it while they cant shootback in time , also no ones will direct shot the shield like no brainers they will abuse the slow and slushish single mind directional shield , by that i mean C4 LA and C4 players will rush at the shielded max and even before he can react and take back his weapons BOOOMMMM No more NC maxs ;)

Pretty much no ones shoot at maxs unless they are at fairly long distance , and as soon as peoples will know this ability they wont shoot at the shield they will trow nade or shoot indirect rocketshot that hit the ground and damage the maxs ;)

So this ability will be pretty useless for the most part i dont think iam going to cert in it at all because of the size of the shield and because , you loose the charge ability if you use it and Charge ability is essential for the NC maxs due to its limited range and Low amo capacity wich mean a NC maxs is in reload modes almost 50 % of the time while vs and tr not even close to 10 % in reload modes