Hitscans.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Valerye, May 17, 2013.

1. Valerye

I'd pay 10k SC for the Parallax, Longshot and RAMS to be hitscan. Not even kidding.

Take mine away and make it 10k SC and hitscan, I'll buy it.
  2. Ztiller

Maybe you just need to learn how to aim?
    • Up x 2
  3. exLupo

I'd pay 10k if it would convince the devs to never put hitscan in.
    • Up x 3
  4. Aimeryan

Hitscan no, but faster bullet velocity yes; it is far too easy for players to change trajectory while the bullet is in flight currently. Either that or give players inertia.
    • Up x 1
  5. PieBringer

For once, I have to agree with Ztiller, here.

Adding hitscan to the main weapon of a single class is what ruined Tribes: Ascend for myself and- to my knowledge of the matter- many others.

How do you imagine it would impact PS2? I have no idea how exactly, but I can tell you, nobody likes getting instantly killed by an enemy that's nowhere near them.

Do I even need to mention the new potential it would bring to auto-aim scripts?
  6. Bloodmyth

Doesn't anyone like to get better through experience and gameplay these days? Games are meant to be a challenge, I'm an old git and yet I'm still improving slowly by watching others and through my own experience playing the game.
    • Up x 5
  7. iller

^I'm getting sick of "improving" ^ by second-guessing where the Target's actual hitbox is going to be versus where their Model actually will be with a 1-second delay before my sub-sonic bullet actually passes through either one of them. If you think that's a "practice makes perfect" issue then you you just don't understand COMPUTERS. And that's pretty bad when a farmboy like me had to tell you that...

I wouldn't pay extra S.C. or Certs ...I'd pay something even more sacrificial....

I'd settle for a 650 dmg per headshot handicap so long as it was Lag-Compensated. Anyone who thinks we're missing b/c of "bad aim", needs #1 GET OFF HELIOS(or Waterson) and play with the NON BADS on Connery who never stop moving, and...
    #2 move their orange-county carpetbagging and/or spoiled starbuckian overprivaledged ***es out of California and over to Oklahoma or Colorado or Missouri or something and find out first hand just how much the "physics" in this game magically change when their "speed of light" fiber has to hitch a ride through Dumb****istan first.
    • Up x 1
  8. giltwist

Hitscan isn't the solution. Giving players inertia is the solution. It would solve ALL the ADADAD problems for EVERYONE.
    • Up x 4
  9. Liav

Giving players inertia would utterly destroy the foundation of this game, not unlike any FPS in existence. Just stop.

ADAD isn't a problem. I have never encountered a fight where ADAD was a problem, except maybe I missed because the guy was side stepping me and I under/overcompensated my aim.

This whole "nerf strafing" **** is ret-ard-ed.
    • Up x 1
  10. Aimeryan

I don't know whether to take you seriously or not. Are you a troll?

If you are not trolling, then I completely baffled at how you have never came across an ADADAD spammer at something like 300+ meters - it is sheer luck if you manage to hit them with the nerf-gun speed bullet. It is nothing to do with aim - you can not correct the bullet's trajectory while it is in flight to intercept the target's new trajectory.

Inertia allows the sniper to notice when the enemy has stopped deciding to travel in a direction before they are able to start travelling in a new direction - giving them the possibility of taking the shot when the target is moving the least erratic. It doesn't matter much at smaller distances since the speed of the bullet compared to the distance and the size of the target is large enough to mitigate the target moving erratically. At larger distances it has a dramatic effect.
    • Up x 1
  11. SGTWOLF68

I'd pay 10k SC for a range meter because its a pain in the butthole trying to estimate ranges or putting waypoints down on every target.
    • Up x 3
  12. Ztiller

Regardless of what side i have in this argument, you really need to stop calling anyone who have an opinion you don't agree with or like for a Troll.

This is the second post in a row from you that i have seen you do this. All it does is undermine yourself by proving that you are childishly incapable of accepting that your opinion is not the one-true-opinion and everyone who disagrees are just trolling.
  13. Kinmaul

Welcome to the internet, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
    • Up x 1
  14. Liav

I'm getting really tired of hearing "AD spamming". The word you are looking for is strafing.

Inertia sounds all fine and dandy on paper; in practice, it would be terrible. If this was in the game, it would basically kill strafing. Strafing is something that has been a vital part of basically every FPS made in the past decade. You must be new to the genre to not understand the value of being able to move as fast as you can react, without stupid artificial restrictions.

If you kept so much momentum that you would essentially be held in place, in a game with such a short TTK (like PS2 has), it would destroy every element of skillful gameplay that this low-skill-ceiling-bullet-hose-spraying game has. The same can be said for any FPS.

If anything is to blame for this warping ****, it's the net code. And there isn't much to be done about that, so as much as I hate to say it, I'm going to steal Ztiller's word here.

Adapt.

Stop regarding strafing as a problem. It is misplaced blame.
  15. iller

huh... can I change my answer to this?

I'd love to see how that played out. Right now it's abused really heavily by people who like to use keys and macros that compresses all their packets to enhance their strafing and dodging. It's pretty cheap and I don't see any of them getting banned for it
  16. Aimeryan

I am not calling him a troll for his opinion, but for his statement of it not being a problem because he has never having encountered it. It would be like saying speeding cars in small villages are not a problem because he has never encountered it.

Notice, it is not his opinion I am calling him a troll on. His opinion is fair enough - he believes ADADAD spamming (or strafing madly side to side) is skillful, he is not a troll for believing that. I disagree with it, but hes not a troll for that, and if you re-read my post you will notice I never insinuated that was the case.

This is one of the many posts I have seen that you have proven you are incapable of reading other people's posts accurately and instead have chosen to set yourself against them. Get off your high horse.

Strafing is fine - it is the movement of going to the side rather than forward or backwards. What is not fine is reversing 180 in the blink of an eye over and over. It would be like a truck hurtling down the motorway at 100mph and suddenly it is now going the reverse direction at 100mph. For bullet spraying that is fine, for sniping it is a pain in the *** that can not be countered with skill (unless you can see the future).

If you are moving forward at some speed there is nothing to stop you suddenly moving sideways (although some acceleration would be needed to get to top speed). If you are already moving sideways there is a lot of inertia to take into account before you can start moving in the opposite direction (the other "sideways"). Basically, making a snap reaction to start moving in a direction need not be hindered here - just the ability to go back and forth over and over suddenly whenever you decide.
  17. giltwist

Inertia would also mean that a player running at full speed would take a full meter to come to a stop. There's nothing more annoying than leading the target running in a straight line by the right amount but have him stop on a dime a split second before getting hit.
    • Up x 1
  18. trued2

If they could only put in inertia for strafing that would be great and seem more realistic, it would still probably mess up the hit-box model problem though.
  19. Liav

I've yet to see a valid reason why the system of movement in this game requires any changes.
    • Up x 1
  20. Hoki

What is "hitscan"?