Long range sniping with the silencer

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Teegeeack, May 17, 2013.

1. Teegeeack

Anyone do this? Have any thoughts about it?
  2. DCWarHound

Nope,there is no reason to use a silencer for long range sniping.
  3. Bloodmyth

This wont help but I tried it and it was too much hassle for me, medium range was ok and kinda cool but I found it hard to adjust for long range though ofc I didn't give it enough time for it to become reflex like it is for me without, I'm sure you learn which mildot to use at the different distances over time, it's not too expensive to buy or even try it via VR room.
  4. Teegeeack

Well not appearing on the minimap is always handy. You never know who might be lurking nearby.
    • Up x 1
  5. Teegeeack

I've been trying it in VR and I love seeing the bullet rise and fall in the air. Makes me feel like a longbowman. I've been testing some of the ranges, and at 300 metres you can reliably hit targets using the 4th mil-dot.
  6. Stinneyt

I find that the suppressor degrades the performance of the rifle too much for use at long range, and the benefit of not showing on the minimap is small when you can and should be re-locating on a regular basis.
  7. Wayfar

I'd save the certs and work on it later in career as it isn't recommended. The extra bullet drop, drop off, and velocity loss, hardly make the investment worth it.

I use it in certain situations when I'll be flanking and know their might be a few stragglers wandering around my perch. It is very situational. And the situation you will need it is very rare.
  8. Wayfar

That is when they aren't moving... If you got the certs, try it but honestly at 300m you are right at the edge of render range so you should be hidden well enough without it.

And on top of moving targets, they'll have nanoweave. So more shots with a slower moving bullet on a target that now knows you are there and is ducking and diving to get to you.
  9. A 59 c

I’m more often amongst the enemy shooting close to medium ranges so I always roll with the silencer and am comfortable with the slower bullet velocity and the use of the mil dots. Medium range moving targets are not a problem.
    Even when I hill hump for the longer ranges I still use the silencer and have found and killed many other non-silenced hill humpers who thought they were safe :D
  10. AnuErebus

You're going to find infiltrators divided into two camps on this one. Those who swear by suppressor and those that don't.

Personally I use a suppressor 90% of the time and have no problems with any engagement out to 300m. Initially It's harder than sniping without a suppressor, the bullet drop can be a significant factor. However once you know how the ranges line up with the mil dots you'll be just as effective as people without a suppressor, with the added bonus that you aren't pinging yourself on the mini-map every couple seconds. That in itself is enough of a reason to use the suppressor. I don't know how many times now I've been sniping and another infiltrator comes nearby and starts shooting unsuppresssed. A few moment later an enemy wanders by hunting the sniper, they kill the other infiltrator and move on, often clueless to the fact that I was only a few meters away.
  11. Calisai

Its situational. I use it when I'm going to be on a ridge with enemy snipers or when i'm backline sniping (sniping from behind/within the enemy forces).

For example the other night, I was perched on the struts of the bridge overlooking Feldspar canyon base while the NC were pushing towards stronghold. I burned through a fully upgraded ammo-belt suits' worth of 60 shots without moving more than 10m on the struts... if I didn't have the suppressor, I would have been knocked out of there after about 5 shots. There were at least a couple of enemy snipers on top and to the sides of the bridge as well as tanks, ESFs, etc. I stayed there the whole fight.

The best place to snipe from is within the enemies "secure" area. Head shots to the back of the head are just as deadly as to the front of the head. :) It also ramps up the adrenaline rush when you're worried about being seen as well. That said, the extra range and ease of use without the suppressor works for more conventional sniping that is done.
  12. insane2170

One need not silence death. One uses the shawarma.

Flush after you snag a taco, cloak after you fire.

May the shawarma be with you.

And may the commissioner deal with the spicy ones.

-Cowboy
    • Up x 3
  13. Calisai

Or better yet, you never know where YOU'LL be lurking... lol. It's good for sniping on a tech plant (that isn't owned by you), on the roofs of towers (shooting down at the airpads), backline sniping (work around to behind/within their front lines), etc.

I've been within 10-15m of enemy snipers happily picking off their medics and engies from behind (more useful than to actually clear out those snipers). Most of this is at night when you can be masked visually, but its definitely a viable tactic.
  14. EViLMinD

When I snipe with a suppressor, I use either an SAS-R (w/ 4x scope) or a Longshot (w/ default scope).

Don't knock suppressed snipering. It's quite effective - IF approached intelligently.
  15. iller

It's total crap unless you do it with the Longshot.
    ...then it's totally P2W

Get in the V.R. yourself and look at the massive difference. Its hilarious.
    The lower velocity Bolt-Actions and Semi's really need to have the option to turn it on and off like the flashlight to make them more competitive with the P2W direct upgrade guns...
  16. Get2dachoppa

Use a suppressor for close and mid range sniping with my Ghost (4x Scope) and XM98 (7x Scope). Don't use one when doing long range work with my Parallax (12x Scope).

Sometimes I've used the Parallax in stealthy ops before and still gotten a decent kill streak. Just depends on how oblivious your opponents are.
  17. illgot

I do and it is very hard. Not because you compensate with bullet drop but because the bullet velocity is even worse.

It is like trying to hit a person in the head 200 meters away by throwing a softball under handed.
    • Up x 1
  18. Dasparian

Suppressed 12x Parallax. Endless amounts of fun. I enjoy getting into really weird hiding spots behind enemy lines, or finding a good spot behind the enemy zerg surging against our defenses. Medics and Engies that stand still while they do their thing are my favorite snack...and it always makes me laugh when they switch out to Infy to try and hunt down me down.

Running targets take a bit more practice, but once you get used to it, you can still drop targets around 100 meters, give or take.
  19. SGTWOLF68

NO, Its just an all around bad idea. Waste of a hundred certs if you ask me.
  20. Rigsta

If they're close enough to see the dot on the map, they're close enough to hear the distinctive sound of a supressed sniper rifle. It helps against many players, but not against ones like me who immediately make it their personal mission to find and destroy enemy snipers.

It has its uses at closer ranges but I generally switch to the Spectre or SMG at that point.